Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ver reisa ku’chae. Kem surah, shei’tani.

Your soul calls out. Mine answers, beloved.

I'm reading the third book in the Tairen Soul series by C.L. Wilson. The names of people and places hold such a beautiful ring to them, like Tairen Song. They have such a powerful sense of magic just as the world has. I think the story is absolutely phenomenal and I think alot of it has to do with the names. I don't know if it's just me, but the magic within the story, I don't think would have me so captivated if the names were simple like Jane, Mary, John...etc. I can only imagine the time it took her to dream up all of them.



Everytime I read Shei'tan, Shei'tani and Kem'falla, I get this warm, fuzzy feeling. The names just flow, and I think they sound even better than Beloved or My Lady, but the way they sound, you just get that that is what they mean. They are beautiful words.

Ellysetta Baristani...The first time I read her name, I was like "WOW!" That name is a most amazing sounding name. I absolutely love it and the way it flows off the tongue...I have never read a name that I loved so much. Jaenelle Angelline comes in at a very close second. Before reading the Fading Lands, Jaenelle, from the Black Jewels Trilogy, was my favorite name.

There are so many...Lauriana Baristani...Marissya v'En Solande...Talisa Barriel diSebourne...Elfeya v'En Celay...Melliandra...Nalia v'En Mahr...Venarra v'En Eilan.



And then the male names...Gaelen vel Serranis. This one holds the same powerful sense that Ellysetta Baristani does. It's strong and alluring. Then there is Adriel vel Arquinas...Belliard vel Jelani (I love Jelani!)...Shannisorran v'En Celay...Tajik vel Sibboreh...and yes, even Vadim Maur has a wonderfully eerie sound to it, that just hits the right spot for evil!

It's not just the peoples names that hold so much power, but places as well. The Fading Lands...Faering Mists...Celieria...Valorian Mountain Range...Lysande Ocean...that's just a few...there are so many more that make this such a spectacular series.



I am awed by her brillant writting style. Ms. Wilson's words are weaved so perfectly. Line after line...name after name...page after page...book after book...

I believe names are very powerful in books and if recognition should be given to someone regarding originality and beauty and magic with names, it should be to C.L. Wilson. It's not just the story line that makes a book great, but the characters within that book, and, for me, their names. I'm captivated by all of them and amazed when a new name is introduced. Sometimes I have no clue how to pronounce them, but I am no less amazed.



I also had the great pleasure of meeting C.L. Wilson at the RT book signing in April!



No comments: