Monday, March 2, 2009

Anne Bishop - Daughter of the Blood

Hell's Fire, Mother Night, and may the Darkness be Merciful!

Fighting to remain on the edge of the Twisted Kingdom, to stay sane and one with reality so that she can tell Daemon Sadi what she saw on her Tangled Web. The living myth. Dreams made flesh. Witch. Is coming. Tersa's opening scene has such a dramatic, impacting flare, hooking and sucking me right back into the intrinsic beauty of the Realms Anne Bishop has written.

I was browsing through the book looking for a particular scene, one that pops in my head all the time and I wanted to make note of it. After I found it, I flipped to the beginning and read the prologue. I had no intentions of rereading, but, it's simply too amazing to put down once I started.

Several years ago I picked up Daughter of the Blood when I was recommended to browse the fantasy section for vampire novels after I finished reading Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. I was in heaven! Anne Bishop was one of the first authors I ventured into and I was awed by her world and characters. The darkly disturbing scenes with Daeamon and Lucivar are nicely countered with the relationship and incidents that occur between young Jaenelle and Saeten, Prothvar and Andulvar.

This is my third time reading Daughter. And I'm sure I'll continue with Heir and Queen. How can I not! I'm amazed and drawn into it as I was the first time. It's a trilogy to be savored. The characters. The relationships. The realms and the magic and how they work. It's fantastical. Brilliant.

Jaenelle Angeline. Dreams made flesh. The living myth. She is Witch. Carrying within herself an exuberant amount of power, unlike anything seen before. At the young age of seven, she begins her bond with the High Lord of Hell. Saetan SaDioblo. He is neither living nor dead. He is one of the living dead. A Guardian. Remaining in the Realms, waiting for Witch. The daughter of his soul. To train and serve her. Their poignant relationship builds heart-achingly throughout the book. At times he fears the power she holds, the things she is capable of doing, shocks him to no end, yet all he can do is protect her from those who would wish to mold her, destroy her for the power she wields. Even kill her. Only one man he truly fears can destroy her. Daemon Sadiablo.

Daemon. The Sadist. The Bastard. He is Hayll's whore, but inside he knows he is to be the lover, the consort to Witch. Not just another witch of the realm. But Witch. The one to right and destroy the evil that has corrupted the realm of Terreille. He is sexy, seductive, beautiful, dangerous, deadly. A pleasure slave held by Dorothea, Hayll's High Priestess--evil, power-hungry, greedy bitch. But deep down inside he fears that Witch will judge him and find him lacking, disgusting, for his year after long year of being a pleasure-slave.

In the territory of Chaillot lies a city, Beldon Mor, where Jeanelle is from, terrible things are happening. Unspeakable, horrible things. But she keeps an impenetrable mist around Beldon Mor. Hiding what is happening from Saetan and others that would send them on a killing rage. But she has her reasons for the secrecy.

Daemon finds himself in Beldon Mor. Sent by Dorothea. When he discovers a psychic thread belonging to Witch in the very house he is to entertain, he is overcome with hope and longing that he will finally serve Witch. Seven hundred years have passed since the night Tersa spoke to him of her vision. Seven hundred agonizingly long years of enduring the touch of other females due to his enslavement. Daemon expects Witch to be full grown. And when he discovers she is still but a child of 12 and his body reacts to her presence, disgust and repugnance fill him until her realizes that it's not the physical needs of his body reacting to her but something far deeper, a connection to Witch. Her power. What lies beneath the child body. He struggles with his needs regarding Jaenelle. Wanting her. Needing her. Needing her to need him. To serve. Because that is what Warlord Princes do. They serve. And are proud to serve. But Terreille has been so corrupted over the centuries, losing sight of the true ways of the Blood. Jaenelle, the living myth, dreams made flesh, is the hope for the Blood who still remember.

The dramatic, horrifyingly traumatic ending of Daughter of the Blood will have you on the edge. It is so insanely gripping. Sad, yet hopeful. Everything has a price. Of course you can't stop with Daughter, you have to continue with Heir to the Shadows in order to find out the outcome of that tragic moment. And then Queen of the Darkness. Ahh, the coming together of Daemon and Jaenelle in Queen, is absolutely breath-taking, tearful. And beautiful. For Daemon has a secret, one that will make your heart go out to him and love him all the more, if that's even possible!

Considering this is a fantasy and not romance, the romance, the connection between Daemon and Jaenelle, is so powerful that it sometimes overshadows the fantasy world. I've read some really great romances. Strong and beautiful ones, but this trilogy is still my most favorite and beloved set of books I own! I've read all of her books. All are extremely engrossing, but none have had the same impact as The Black Jewels Trilogy.



And the scene I was looking for...

Lucivar swayed, confused. Zuultah rolled on the floor, screaming, screaming. He tried to lick the moisture from his lips but something was in the way. He turned his head and spat.

For a long time, while guards pounded on the locked door and Zuultah screamed, he stared at the small thing his teeth had found to ease the hunger. At first he didn't understand what it was. When his flaccid organ finally slipped out of the orifice and he recognized the red for what it was, Lucivar lifted his head and let out a howling, savage laugh.

OMG...He bit off her nubbin!! The Queen bitch so deserved it though. The first time I read that scene. My eyes bulged. I couldn't believe it. The second time I read it, I forgot and had to close the book and cringe. Then I had the pleasure of meeting Anne Bishop back in March and I had to comment on that scene. It's so gruesome, yet so utterly deserved! Obviously there is nothing romantic about it, but it is one of the most memorable scenes I have ever read! I don't know, maybe you have to read the trilogy to appreciate it? To see and experience the treatment of both Daemon and Lucivar have endured over the centuries of their long-lived lives.

Coming in March 2009!
The Shadow Queen


In her national bestselling Black Jewels novels, Anne Bishop’s “surefire spell craft…leave[s] readers’ hearts pounding.”* Now her “feverish pacing and terrifying twists” (*Publishers Weekly) are showcased once again. In a tumultuous world ruled by witches and warlocks who wear their power as jewels, one Queen’s chance at redemption is the last hope for a desperate people…

Dena Nehele is a land decimated by its past. Once it was ruled by corrupt Queens who were wiped out when the land was cleansed of tainted Blood. Now, only one hundred Warlord Princes stand—without a leader and without hope…

Theran Grayhaven is the last of his line, desperate to find the key that reveals a treasure great enough to restore Dena Nehele. But first he needs to find a Queen who knows Protocol, remembers the Blood’s code of honor, and lives by the Old Ways.

Languishing in the Shadow Realm, Lady Cassidy is a Queen without a court, a castoff. She is not beautiful. She thinks she is not strong. But when she is chosen to rule Dena Nehele, she must convince bitter men to serve once again.

Theran’s cousin Gray is a Warlord Prince who was damaged in mind and body by the vicious Queens who once ruled Dena Nehele. Yet something about Cassidy makes him want to serve—and makes him believe he can be made whole once again.

And only Cassidy can prove to Gray—and to herself—that wounds can heal and even the whisper of a promise can be fulfilled…
Check out more of Anne Bishop's books here.

"You son of a whoring bitch!"
(I love her catchy lines! Just had to add that one!)





4 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

....I neeeed to read all these books :D

Leontine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leontine said...

sorry above post had a few grammar errors *eek*

Hi AmyC,
Of course I had to check out your review here and Goosebumps, really, I feel like reading a mirror and I know exactly what you mean, what swept you away and I'm a bit green with envy, to meet the author WOW

I also reviewed all the books I have read so far and I had to let the book sink in for a day or two before I could comprehend my feelings and actually put them to paper.

I truly hope that next year we can get together for the new release of Anne Bishop. In the mean while I will be busy with catching up and TIR will be the first to be read!

Thanks for this incredible review!

rose said...

i first encountered this book when my sister brought home the omnibus edition .
i stole it and read it while she was not in.It was at once frightening and riveting and one of the best stuff i ever read.

one of the most memorable scenes for me Lucivar biting IT off.
hmm come to think of it seems most memorable scenes have Lucivar in.
the other one that still haunts me is in the book The Invisible Ring.The scene with the guard...Doreathea mutilated him and then stuck flowers into the wounds