Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March Re-Read Challenge (Review)

Oh man, I almost forgot to do this. I started one book that was supposed to be my re-read but I didn't finish it--Raven's Shadow by Patricia Briggs. It was all right, but it didn't grab me this time around.

So then I discovered a book club that meets once a month at one of my Barnes and Noble stores. The book selection for March was Born in Sin by Kinley Macgregor. I re-read that one and it was just as good the second time around as it was the first time! This isn't really a review, but more my impression of Born in Sin.

Kinley MacGregor
Born in Sin

Publication Date: January 2003


Blurb-Though few can equal her skill with the sword, Caledonia MacNeely fights an unfamiliar shiver when she is offered in marriage to the infamous "Lord Sin." Though Callie fears this mysterious, unreachable stranger -- less for the dark whispers that damn him than for the heat of his touch -- she is under the order of the English king. And with the fate of her troubled clan hanging in the balance, she has little recourse.

Banished as a child, "Sin" MacAllister learned to despise his Scottish heritage. Yet now, to unmask King Henry's foes, he must return to the hated Highlands -- wedded to a bewitching lass whose flaming red hair matches the fire of her spirit. A cold, hard heart has always been the key to Sin's survival, but this beauty awakens in him a perilous need he's never known.

I think maybe, just maybe the horrible life that poor Sin lived became a bit extreme in that there is so much focus on all the negative that happened to him. It seemed that every other page revealed one more hurtful thing of his past. The treatment he garnered from his step-mother and then how it resolved itself in the end was a bit far-fetched for real life, but it was still touching. It definitely made him the tortured hero :).

I loved Callie and how she stuck by him, insisting that he is a good person, deserving of some kindness in his life. Sin and Callie were such extreme opposites on their outlook in life that I thought they really complimented each other nicely.

Kinley Macgregor has some really great dialogue and scenes. And it's one thing that seems to be missing in her recent books. But that could just be me, I don't know. One of the scenes that I loved in this one, was their wedding night, and Sins way of proving that they consummated it even though they didn't :). The scenes that followed regarding how he handled it was humorous. Gave me some chuckles. Poor Sin!

Oh and Simon! I love Simon. He first appeared in Master of Desire. He is Draven's brother and also Sin's best friend. He does eventually get his own HEA in the anthology, Where's my Hero. You know, I think Simon really should have had a full length book. He was such a prominent secondary character. He needed more pages dedicated to him!

Second time around and it will still remain on my keeper shelf! I loved it :). I would recommend these books of hers to anyone! They're great, with some cute and tender moments, along with some witty, teasing dialogue.

Books in order:
Master of Desire
Claiming the Highlander
Born in Sin
Taming the Scotman
Where's My Hero
A Dark Champion
Return of the Warrior
The Warrior

The last three are a spin-off of the MacAllister brothers' series called the Brotherhood of the Sword. Accept The Warrior is actually the eldest MacAllister, but is tied into both series, and believe it or not, tied into the Dark-Hunters!



Reread Challenge hosted by Nath @ Books, Books, and More Books

27 comments:

Anna said...

As you know I love this series. :) Born in Sin is one of my favorites. I have one more to read- Return of the Warrior and then I have read all of them.

Morning :)

Amy C said...

Morning, Anna :).

It is a great series!

Lea said...

This looks like the perfect Amy book. ;)

So happy you enjoyed it Amy.

Have a great day!
L

Amy C said...

LOL, Lea, definitely an Amy book :).

Thanks, Lea, you have a great day too! I think I might have to go do something out of the house today. Maybe buy a new pair of Capris or something. I'm feeling the itch to get something Springy :).

Anna said...

If there's Tartan on the cover, it's Amy book. Hehe! :)

Erotic Horizon said...

Hey Amy,

I love this book - it's like a blast from the past - thanks for visiting this one.

E.H>

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

Great review! I haven't discovered this Highlander series--I'll definitely have to check them out! Don't you just love a good highlander story! *sigh*

Dottie ;-)

nath said...

Please explain to me why the characters with the most potential end up having their HEA in novellas instead of full-length book? Seriously.

All right, back to your review :) Never read Kinley MacGregor... but now I'm tempted!

Nikki said...

I loved Born in Sin! You're right, she doesn't write books like that anymore!

I agree Simon should have gotten a full length book.

MsMoonlight (Elizabeth Jules Mason) said...

I think I read this one when it first came out! Nice re-read pick!

Amy C said...

Yes, ma'am, Anna ;)! I think alot of it is the castles too.

Nath, I would if I could! Simon was just one of those fun-loving guys. I really liked him.

Nikki, I'm glad you agree that Simon kinda got shafted!

Amy C said...

E.H., happy to see you liked this one too!

Dottie, this one is definitely a series worth looking into. it's one of my favorite historicals!

Amy C said...

Thanks, MsM. I enjoyed revisiting it. I might have to revisit Simon in his novella :).

Blanche said...

I've not read Born In Sin....must look for it!!

Happy reading Amy!!

Amy C said...

Oh, no! Another book for Blanche's TBB list! It is a good one :).

Blanche said...

I got it Amy!!! LOL Actually PBS had a copy so I ordered it and hopefully it will be on the way to me this week!! :)

Amy C said...

Woohoo, Blanche! I'm sure you'll love it too!

Kristie (J) said...

I loved this one when I read it - right up to the very end. I was furious that Sin forgave that hateful woman. She did not deserve it after everything she had done to him!! I read a couple more Kinley MacGregor books after this one, but gave up on her. I just found the same thing as with Sherilyn Kenyon - she spent too much of the story setting up future books and I really hate that!! But this one was good :)

Jenn said...

I have this series in my TBR and I really need to read these books, they sound so good.

Great review!

Renee said...

Good review, Amy! I haven't read anything she's written under the Kinley MacGregor pen name. That's interesting that she's had things cross over from one series to the other like that. :-)

Isabel said...

I think BOrn in Sin was my favorite book of the series. I think my favorite part was when Callie and Sin first slept together.

Melissa said...

I had to pick a different re-read. Like yourself, I never finished this book in the first place. (I have too many un-finished books actually.) The book I chose to re-read is "Flying Into the Sun," by Ginger Blymyer. I remember very clearly how romantic this book was. I love romance books.

Tracy said...

I felt so badly for all the horrid things that Sin had to go through but I loved him. Yummy. He was just great!

Seneca said...

Hmmm, someone reviewed this book not too long ago but I can't remember if I wanted to read it or not.
Your review makes it sound good, that's for sure.

Cecile said...

Amy, go to my pad to see whats there...

Kris said...

I started reading this series and stopped after the third book. I got wrapped up in other books and lost track of the series. maybe I will be able to go back and read them all in order one after the other. so many books, so little time :)

Carolyn Jean said...

There are so many cool books in you guys' reread challenge. I've never read Kinley McGregor, but I do love a writer who does good dialog.