Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dru Pagliassotti - Clockwork Heart

I was recommended a book, first by Renee and then by Tracy. When Renee first mentioned it, I wasn't sure because of the Steampunk genre it falls into. Not having read Steampunk before, I didn't really give it much thought. But then Tracy mentioned she was reading it and said I'd probably like it. She said it had some romance in it. With that I went to the store and found one copy. I read it the other day and I can't seem to get scenes and images out of my head. It was an amazing book and I'd have to say that the author did a superb job with describing imagery. And the characters took on a life of their own. The tone, the tension, the world-building, the pace, the character relationships, the way the society is set up, everything about this book was perfect!

Dru Pagliassotti
Clockwork Heart
Learn more here.
Buy here.

Taya soars over Ondinium on metal wings. She is an icarus — a courier privileged to travel freely across the city’s sectors and mingle indiscriminately among its castes. But even she can’t outfly the web of terrorism, loyalty, murder, and intrigue that snares her after a daring mid-air rescue. Taya finds herself entangled with the Forlore brothers, scions of an upperclass family: handsome, brilliant Alister, who sits on the governing council and writes programs for the Great Engine; and awkward, sharp-tongued Cristof, who has exiled himself from his caste and repairs clocks in Ondinium’s lowest sector. Both hide dangerous secrets, in this city that beats to the ticking of a clockwork heart….

If any of you are ever in the mood to try something different, I would absolutely recommend this book to you. I was fascinated!

I am so happy to note that the author is working on the sequel, Obstruction Currents.



15 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I have never read anything steampunk, truth be told I have no idea what it's about. I have only seen the word around.

But this book do sound interesting

Amy C said...

Blodeuedd, with the types of books you like to read, I would say that you would enjoy this book too! It's a really great book.

Here is the definition of Steampunk from Wikipedia (it's the same one that Renee sent me to explain it!)

Steampunk is a sub-genre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of "the path not taken" of such technology as dirigibles, analog computers, or digital mechanical computers (such as Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine); these frequently are presented in an idealized light, or with a presumption of functionality.

Clockwork Heart is set in a Fantasy world!

I hope that helps :)!

Anna said...

There are a few Steampunk books coming out later this year that I'm looking forward to reading.

I tried posting this earlier, but for some reason it didn't go through.

Lea said...

What an awesome cover!

I may well pick this book up Amy. It does sound facinating I read some of Wells and Verne's work and really loved it many, many, many years ago.

Thank You!

L

Tracy said...

Oh I'm so glad you liked it. It really was a different kind of book for me to read and I'm so happy I did!

You're right, the imagery is amazing. And the great thing about that is that she describes things so well but it's not a tedious part of the book - you just soak it all in.

Blodeuedd said...

Thank you Amy :)
That sure helped. Interesting, and if you think I would like this, why not :D
I do like to think outside my safe little reading box

Blanche said...

This looks like a really interesting book Amy!! I'm really trying to branch out from my normal reads....the cover is really neat!!

Michelle G said...

Amy,

I didn't know what steampunk was either - thank you for clearing that up. This book is certainly going on my TBR list. :)

M

Renee said...

Oh! I'm so glad you liked it! :-D

Isn't it such an original and interesting world? Yet, it never overtakes the storyline and romance. I'm really excited to see what the author does with the sequel.

Great review, Amy!

Amy C said...

Anna, which ones are you looking forward to? I might look into them also.

Hi Lea, I hope you do! I think you'd like it, for when you want a break form all that steaminess!

Tracy! You are so right, the world building did not get tedious to the point that it overwhelmed you!

Amy C said...

You're welcome, Blodeuedd :)

Well, Blanche, I think this could be a really great book to branch out with. You gotta not mind a bit of fantasy though, but I think the characters are strong enough and make up a huge part of the book, that it's all good!

Awesome, Michelle! I'll definitely look forward to your thoughts :).

Hi Renee, oh yes, I did love it. Thank you to both you and Tracy for such a wonderful recommendation! It is very original and interesting. I would not hesitate to buy more books in this world!

I wonder if the sequel is going to have Taya as the leading character?

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

I've never read any steampunk, but I have watched a couple of Animes that would fall into this category. Maybe I'll expand and try one. This one sounds good. I like the old classics as well, and maybe this will be similar in fantasy/adventure...like Journey to the Center of the Earth. I know the genre has picked interest lately. Thanks for the recommendation!

Dottie :)

Anna said...

Kmont posted about this one earlier this mont
Boneshacker- Cherie Priest.

http://lurvalamode.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/cover-spotlight-boneshaker/

Katie MacAlister has plans to write one too. I love her vampire and dragon books. So, I'll probably check this one out too.

Amy C said...

Thanks, Anna! I might have to look more into that book, Boneshaker! Sounds mighty interesting, and the cover is pretty darn cool! Katie MacAlister too, huh? You'll have to keep us informed when you learn more about hers!

Dottie, if you should give it a go, I would love to read your thoughts. I think it's one of those books that if you like fantasy, you'd really like this one.

Christine said...

I really need to see if my library has this book. I've seen quite a few very good reviews of it and I really want to check out steampunk. I just love that word. LOL