Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie w/ Fellow Blogger Kristie

Normally this book wouldn't have stood out to me because of the time setting. But Kristie(J) posted an early review and the fact that the hero is so different from anything I've read I had to read it. Not to mention Kristie's profound promotion of Broken Wing was spot on. The book was amazing. I couldn't help but "know" that this book would be a grand emotional read as well, with an unforgettable hero and heroine made for each other.

This one's going to be talked about and recommended for years to come! Ian's a hero to treasure!

I no more than read through the first 30 pages, the h/h's first encounter, and had to email Kristie right away to let her know that I was so happy that she raved so about this book in her review. She mentioned sharing our thoughts as a kind of review. Here are our correspondences regarding Lord Ian Mackenzie and his Beth, with a bit of editing. There are no plot spoilers, but there may be some scene spoilers. Nothing too detailed though.

(Me)-Kristie, Kristie, Kristie!! I had to make a trip to the store so I stopped in to see if The Madness of Lord Ian was in and it was! I started reading it and oh man, it's going to be so good. I read through the encounter with Beth and Ian at the Oprah, and the raw feelings that passed between them in that short scene was amazing. You don't get that in a book that often. That sense of being moved emotionally, and so far, this book has and looks to have a lot of it! Ian is going to be one of those unforgettable heroes. Thank you so much for the enthusiasm you put behind certain books!

(Kristie)-Amy: You are most welcome!! And trust me – it only gets better. I don’t have any kind of connection with Asperger’s so I can’t say for certain, but from what I’ve gleamed, the author seems to get it pretty good – Ian’s inability to look anyone in the eye, his freezing up in moments of stress, his ‘zoning out’ over something most people wouldn’t even see and his uncontrollable rages – all play a large part in this wonderfully written love story.

Not all books hit me as hard as Broken Wing, The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie and earlier – Ride the Fire, but when they do, when I’m completely bowled over by a book, I figure there are enough readers out there who will have the same reaction. It’s an incredible rush when another reader ‘gets’ what is so special about it. Although totally impractical, when I read one of these kinds of books, I just want to buy a whole bunch of copies, send them out, and then sit by their shoulder going “what did you think of that scene where they meet? Or how about the one in the studio? Or isn’t Ian just scrumptious and wouldn’t it be grand to have that kind of focus spent on me? What about Hart and his kink? I’ve never seen that in a romance before – and he’s going to be a hero himself” (see – good stuff coming up for you – heh heh heh heh)

(Me)-Now you've got me wondering about Hart Mackenzie! I must read some more. He has a kink, eh? :) This might be a series I'll have to follow.

(Kristie)-Yes - Hart is into kink. We don't find out until near the end and when we do, I was thinking to myself 'Nnnnnnoooo - he's not into that is he???? Really??!?!?!?? Wowzers! How..........fascinating.

(Me)-I'm almost half through and I LOVE this book. It's one of those that has such amazingly tender moments. Now I know what you were hinting at in the studio. When he asks her to explain what it's like to love. And then later when they are making love for the first time and he makes that eye contact with her. Oh my, I still have watery eyes. That was one of those unforgettable moments. It was one I was waiting for. I figured Ms. Ashley would have some type of dramatic eye contact scene and she did it beautifully. I am very curious to learn more about Fellows and the past that has yet to be explained. Very intriguing and mysterious. And I like it. Oh and it trips my breathing every time Beth is referred to as 'my Beth'. I just love that simple bit of possession.

(Kristie)-So have you got to the part where he really loses his temper in front of Beth and the scene with Mac after? It's heartbreaking!!! I love the interaction he has with his brothers. For such a rowdy bunch - with Ian - there are such tender moments!! And I see that now you've gathered that there is something 'up' with Fellows - *wicked grin.*

(Me)-Oh yes, yes, the scene afterward with Mac and Ian. Mac makes him make eye contact. That scene was very touching with the watery eyes. And when Mac resigns himself to the moment in the coach and rests his forehead on Ian's shoulder. She has created some great interactions. Oh so good!

(Kristie)-And when Ian says "I lost her didn't I?" And Mac replies "You never had her." Sniff, sniff, sniff.

(Me)-I just finished and WOW. It's only May, but it's going to be real hard to top the tender and honest romance between Ian and Beth. There were some breath-stealing moments at the end. Ian is simply amazing. He is an honest to goodness flawed hero. And one that is so passionate and loving, even if he says he can't love!
And yes, those two lines had me bleary eyed, too.
There were a lot of those lines throughout. Ian really had some of the best lines. I think because they were so honest. He doesn't know any other way. There is no trickery with him.

(Kristie)-I think it's going to take a lot to top this one too!! I have high hopes for Highland Rebel by Judith James - but if that one doesn't do it, I can't really see another book being better than Lord Ian. I think part of what made it so great for me is it came right out of the blue. I was not expecting a book to be that good - but then I guess we can say that about all the books we read can't we? When I finished this book, I hugged it :) Ian was such a combination of naïveté and worldliness/ vulnerability and strength. And I thought Beth rocked as a heroine. I don't think she could have been better for him!! I loved the part where Ian threw Hart out of the room when he was tending to his Beth (and yep – the way he called her that was so melty).

What did you think of Hart’s kinkiness – certainly made him intriguing didn’t it? Though a dangerous game he liked to play. And very sadly – we have a while to wait for his story. The next book in the series is Mac’s, sometime in 2010, then Cam ’s and then Hart’s. At this rate I think it will be a while before we see his bedroom antics.


(Me)-I love your description of Ian "combination of naïveté and worldliness/ vulnerability and strength" Perfect!

That was a great scene when Ian made Hart leave the room. It showed his possessiveness of Beth. One thing I loved about how that side of him came out was that it wasn't the typical alpha male possession. It was an innocent, single-minded focus on something he saw as his to protect.

Hmm, that's a pretty long wait to get to Hart's book! But that's okay, if the next ones are any where near as good as this one, they will all be worth the wait! I'm not sure what to make of Hart's kink. It's quite violent. But if it's part of who he is and accepted by his lady love and written tastefully, I'm game!

I hear you, Highland Rebel is one I'm looking forward to digging into. I don't want to compare it to Broken Wing, and then be disappointed if it doesn't have the same affect. It is going to be hard to top Lord Ian. He has a difference that sets him apart and adds to the emotional element.

Thank you so very much, Kristie. I enjoyed talking about this book with you as I read it and afterward!

This was pretty lengthy and if you skimmed I can's say I blame you. What it all boils down to is that Kristie and I both LOVED this book! This is one for the Keeper shelf. Tender, heart-pounding, a truly fine and well-written love story. Ian is so full of passion and he lays it all on Beth in such sweetly sensual doses. Beth's protectiveness and belief in Ian made her one of the finest heroins. Ian and Beth are forever imprinted in my mind and heart.

If you have thought about getting this book, think no more, get it! And if you've never heard of it, well, you gotta get it! I'm in complete agreement with Kristie, a phenomenal love story! Ian and Beth blended together with perfection!

The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
Order here!

(Even the reviews on amazon are all giving it 5 stars!!)
Other Reviews to explore-
Dear Author's review here and
KristieJ's original review here.


20 comments:

Lea said...

Awesome review / collaboration ladies.

I am going to return later and read thoroughly!

Wonderful post and promotion of what sounds to be a ***** book.

Warm Regards
L

Amy C said...

Good morning, Lea, and thank you. It is most definitely a 5 star book. It's really a feel good book. I loved it, and it has scenes that I will go back to from time to time and read through.

Blodeuedd said...

Great review :D
You two sure like it, I am sure I would then too. And I have certainly not read a book where the main character has Asbergers, especially not in that period of time.
Very interesting

Amy C said...

Hey Blodeuedd, the fact that Ian has a mental disease is the one thing that drew me to this book. It's an element I've never encountered with either the hero or heroine and I was very curious to see how it would work. And as you know, I thought it was just wonderful. It add so much more to the story.

Cindy W said...

Looks like I'll have to pick this up w/ my 30% off coupon! Great post Amy. I have Highland Rebel here, and hope to read in July!

Cindy W said...

Oh, I forgot to mention my son has a classmate (11 yrs old) that has Asperger's he just has some pretty weird quarks, but doesn't seem to be way different, so I'm pretty curious how Ian is in the book!

Tracy said...

I want to read this but I want to read the book so I'm holding off reading your thoughts. I want not even the tiniest spoiler! lol I'm so glad you liked it...it sounds awesome!

Amy C said...

Cindy, this book would be perfect to pick up with your coupon! You'll like Ian and his eccentric behavior.

Tracy, I do the same thing. I know you're going to love this book too!

Kristie (J) said...

Amy - It was EVER so much fun 'talking' to you about this book - and Ian - and making you wait to find out about Hart's kinky habit (heh heh heh heh)
When a book is this good - and resonates this much - it's so hard to let it go. I fell and feel hard for Ian. And when a fellow reader feels the same - it's just a wonderful feeling :)

Christine said...

Amy! Amy! Amy! I have to read this book NOW! Wow.

Kristie! Kristie! Kristie! It's your fault, too! LOL!

Seriously, I started reading the discourse between you two and I had to stop. I was pretty much sold by Amy's first few sentences in the post, but I had to stop when I started to fear spoilers. I'm sold nonetheless. I want to read this book! Thanks for the stellar recommendation!

Renee said...

I've been waiting for my library request to come in for this one. It sounds soooo good! Something about the tone of the excerpt I read reminds me of Scandal by Carolyn Jewel (one of my fave historical reads so far this year.)

I loved your conversation with Kristie, though I skimmed it, afraid to read a spoiler. Will definitely revisit it once I've read it. I love reading these type of reviews once I've read the book! :-)

Pam P said...

Such a wonderful story, and I'm with you already intrigued with Hart.

Eva S said...

I just finished the book and loved it! It will be one of my favorites this year, I'm sure! And next book will not be until mid-2010! I'll have to re-read the Nvengaria series while waiting...

Annie - The Fussy Princess said...

Hi Amy. I just wanted to let you know that I LOVED your review so much that I've nominated you for our weekly review award at Royal Reviews. You don't need to nominate anyone or do anything but you can check out your award here: http://theroyalreviews.blogspot.com/2009/05/inspirational-review-award_10.html

Thanks for such an entertaining review! Really made me smile :-)

DeSeRt RoSe said...

Congrats on the well deserved award.. I loved the review.. it is so unique :)

Amy C said...

Annie! Thank you so very much for the award. And thank you again to Kristie for the idea and the conversation!

Eva! I am so happy to hear that! Wasn't Ian one of the best heroes?

Hi Pam, Hart is most definitely intriguing! I'm looking forward to seeing what the deal is with Mac and Isabella.

Amy C said...

Renee and Christine, you both will love Ian and Beth.

Thank you DeSeRt RoSe :). It was a nice surprise this morning!

Teddyree said...

Congrats on your award & such a wonderful review. I heard about this one at author Emily Bryan's blog when Jennifer Ashley was a guest. I was intrigued then & even more so now!

Christine said...

I bought this book over the weekend! I just finished reading a historical romance this afternoon. so I may need a break with something different ... but I'm definitely reading this one ASAP! :)

Tracy said...

Great discussion guys! I finished it and loved it!