Saturday, May 30, 2009

May Re-Read Challenge

Devil In a Kilt (2001)
Sue-Elllen Welfonder


I missed last months reread challenge. I did reread a book, I just didn't feel like reviewing it. I haven't felt much like reviewing any book lately. But next weekend my mom and I are going to Lori Foster's get together and Sue-Ellen Welfonder is going and I just love her Medieval Scottish books. I reread her first one the other day, Devil in a Kilt, to refresh my memory of the book that set into motion all the rest that followed.

Linnet MacDonnell finds herself promised to none other than the dreaded and fearsome black stag of Kintail, Duncan MacKenzie. Linnet overhears her father is only agreeing to marry her to Duncan for his own selfish reasons and because Duncan wants the use of her seers gift to tell him whether or not his son is really his or his bastard brother's. And Duncan wants her for her unappealing looks, so he is in no way tempted by her. What a thing for a girl to overhear. That's just what you need to hear to help boost up your self-esteem, eh? Linnet only wants what we all want...Love.

When Linnet first glimpses Duncan's face, a whirlwind of emotions swirl around her as she realizes that he is the man who has haunted her dreams for years; a vision came to her of a man with a bloody gaping hole in his chest where his heart once had been. In that vision he reaches for her, and terrified, Linnet can do nothing but flee.

Now faced with her fears of her vision, and Duncan claiming his only need of Linnet is to use her gift to tell him if his young son, Robbie, is truly his or his half brother's. The two set out on a journey to discover the only thing they really need is each other. Linnet gives back that which Duncan thought he no longer had...his heart.

I have read all of Sue-Ellen's books and it was such a pleasure rereading Devil in a Kilt, and revisiting characters I've not forgotten over the years, like Sir Marmaduke (Bride of the Beast), and Robbie (Only for a Knight).

Books in order
1. Devil in a Kilt
2. Bride of the Beast
3. Only for a Knight
4. Until the Knight Comes
5. Bride for a Knight
6. Seducing a Scottish Bride

The next book in Sue Ellen Welfonder's MacKenzie series is coming in October 2009. A Highlander's Temptation, which is one of the daughter's of Linnet and Duncan! And I am happy to say that Ms. Welfonder will likely be stopping by for the release of A Highlander's Temptation. She always has such wonderful and insightful things to talk about.


Blurb~
Darroc MacConacher spends sleepless nights dreaming of a raven-haired beauty that makes him ache with desire. Then his dream comes true: the lady with her lush curves and delicately fair skin appears shipwrecked on his shores. Darroc is immediately drawn to her strength and beauty, and from the moment she lays eyes on this powerful, broad-shouldered warrior, Lady Arabella MacKenzie knows she'll never want another man.

But theirs is a forbidden love. The MacKenzies drove the MacConachers from their lands and destroyed their honor. Now, Darroc can use this sapphire-eyed seductress to shatter his foes. Yet how can he deny the passion that burns between him and Arabella, and ruin the one woman who touches his very soul?
----------------------------------
Sue-Ellen's website is such a wonderful place to explore. She has tons of pictures from her travels to Scotland, recipes, just all sorts of fun and interesting things! Click here to journey to her magical place.

Sue-Ellen also writes under the name Allie Mackay. You can check out her website here.

Re-Read Challenge
hosted by Nath @
Books, Books, and more Books



13 comments:

Cindy W said...

Oh how I loved that book! I haven't gotten farther in the series, even though they are in my tbr pile, but I loved Sir Marmaduke!

Mandi said...

I have yet to read anything by this author. Will definitely check her out:) The Lori Foster get together sounds like fun!

Monroe Dawson said...

Ever since I read Jamie from Outlander I LOVE SCOTTISH men! lol I'll need to pick these books up! Thanks!

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

I've got that book coming up on my TBR list on your recommendation - I hope I like it, I'm looking forward to reading her books! You know I love these kilted Scots as well!

Tracy said...

I may have to read this one Amy after reading your thoughts. You know I wasn't thrilled with Seducing a Scottish Bride but, and I always think this if I start a book in the middle of the series, what if I had read the first books and felt differently? You just never do. This one sounds good. And I love books where the women aren't drop dead gorgeous but have their own appeal.

Anna said...

Great Review Amy! I enjoyed this book too. :)

azteclady said...

Amy, did you know that Ms Wellfonder is participating in the Tails of Love anthology? (hint: check out this week's Monday posts at Novel Thoughts--there be goodies up for grabs)

Blodeuedd said...

First of all, men in kilts! Yes please ;) These books look good, and they really make me wanna read them

Eva S said...

This one was a good one for me too, but it's the only book by this author on my shelf.....I can't understand why, I love men in kilts! More for my wishlist..

Renee said...

Hey Amy,

I gave you an award over at my place:

http://reneesbookaddiction.wordpress.com/2009/05/30/wonderful-blog-friends/

You are awesome! :-)

nath said...

Great review Amy :) I've never heard of this author, but then I'm not much of a fan medieval romance or Scottish ones ^_^;

I really like the cover of the upcoming book though! :) Very pretty.

Lori said...

Oooh, I love a good highlander! Sounds like I have a new series to look at! Thanks!

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Now that I've read Devil in a Kilt, I've come back to read your thoughts about it. Good review! Glad to hear the next one is Marmaduke's story, I have it already, ready to read one of these days! I really liked him, though I was afraid he was going to be the two headed monster!