Sunday, May 3, 2009

Virginia Kantra - Sea Lord

Virginia Kantra
Sea Lord
(May 5, 2009)
Children of the Sea series

Book Three

Buy
here
Read Chapter One
here

One family. Three loves that will change their lives . . . and whose destiny could change the world.
For centuries, the children of the sea have co-existed in uneasy peace with their fellow elementals, the children of fire. Now that balance of power is tested as three siblings born of a human father and a selkie mother become embroiled in an ancient rivalry. Follow their stories: Caleb, the soldier, who returns from the desert to fall in love with a woman from the sea ; Dylan, the loner, who must choose between the freedom of his mother's kind and the bonds of mortal love; and Lucy, the dreamer, whose heart and fate are tangled with the sea king's son .

Set off the coast of Maine, the Children of the Sea series was inspired by the Celtic legends of the selkie, immortal creat ures of the sea living apart from humankind but able to sh ape-shift into seductive human form. Click here for more info.
I have really enjoyed this series. Each book is tied together, furthering the plot that revolves around the Hunter family, the Children of the Sea and the Children of Fire. I think the book blurbs and series blurb surmises the plot fairly well.

Throughout the first two books, Virginia Kantra keeps your curiosity piqued regarding Lucy's role and importance to the story arc. Lucy is a great heroine. She's insecure, yet not in an irritating way. Her life has formed her into the person she is and it fit. She wants love, and to be needed. Conn is the leader of the Selkies, wanting only to secure the future of his kind. But what he finds with Lucy is much more than his selkie nature ever expected. Selkies don't love and commit to one. Selkies are free, ever changing like the tide. Lucy warms his heart, his soul, and he wants her and only her. He needs her.

Sea Witch, Sea Fever and Sea Lord should be read in order. Each one adds to the next. The characters are re-occuring throughout. I wasn't too fond of Dylan in the first book (the oldest brother). He was quite the prick, but I he redeemed himself nicely in his book, Sea Fever. Ms. Kantra has a nice dose of heat that sizzles between her characters, especailly so in the first one, Sea Witch. Her writing voice is smooth and the stories move along at a nice pace.

I'd definitely recommend these books. Heck, if anything get them for the darn covers!! They have a very moody, turbulent look to them.

Sea Witch - Book One
Sea Fever Book Two
VirginiaKantra.com


13 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

These I like, well maybe I would hate them but i don't think so.
First the covers draw me in (love them), then what is said about them and I have always liked the selkie myths.

Glad to hear that they don't disappoint :D

Mandi said...

I really need to go out and buy this series so I can stop typing how much I want to read them:) I'm trying to be good this month though! Darn it!:)

Eva S said...

I'll order this one right away, loved the other two!

Lea said...

Hi Amy!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! This sounds like a wonderful series. I love it when an author progresses the storyline with just the right amount of momentum.

I have to say, the cover art for this series is beautiful!

(((hugs)))
L

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

You make these stories sound so good. I love the selkie legends as well as other good sea creatures. One of the Anita Blake series introduces a Queen of the Selkies married to an ancient vampire, and their children are hybrids. I loved that story, so maybe I'd love these too. The Queen was so different, truly loved her husband, but fickle at the same time. So unusual. I'll keep looking for these books. Thanks for another great recommendation!

Dottie :)

Michelle G said...

Amy,

I have not read this series - but will put them on the TBR list. Thank you for the review. :)

M

Anna said...

I really enjoyed the first two books, I can't wait to read this one. I loved the covers too, but what really got me to read this series was the prequel short story in Shifter. I enjoyed it alot, more than I thought I would.

Amy C said...

Haha, Blodeuedd. I don't think you would hate them.

Good luck, Mandi! I find the more I try NOT to buy books, the more I wind up buying.

Awesome, Eva! And I am so glad that you are reading and liking the BJT!!

Hey Lea, yes they are amazing covers!

Oh yes, Anna, it was the short in the Shifter Antho that introduced me to the series. That was actually my favorite short in that book too!

Amy C said...

Hey Dottie, it was the fact that it's Scottish/Irish lore that first attracted me to the short in the Shifter Anthology that introduced Virginia's Selkies. I love all that stuff too :).

Hi Michelle, I hope you like them too, if you should try them :).

Anna said...

You know I'm sure I enjoyed the other two shorts I read. But Selkie story is the one that stands out for me. :)

MsMoonlight said...

Trying again-
Great reviews and you're right about the covers. I really like them, very moody and engaging...they make you want to stare at them more!
:o)

SciFiGuy said...

I haven't read this one yet but have read the other two and particularly liked the blend of romance and paranormal. Glad to see the the third won't disappoint.

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Sounds like a good series, I like the idea of selkies too - and yes, those are great looking covers!