Friday, June 19, 2009

Second Chances - Part Five


Second Chances
Part Five
Amanda Cummings

Four months later…

Leslie stood in her kitchen chopping vegetables for a salad, moving her feet and hips to the beat of the music that drummed through the radio. Jake leaned against the door frame, his arms crossed over his chest, watching her. They’d been nearly inseparable since their first meeting at the coffee shop. It had been months since that day, and he hadn’t tired of watching her. She stirred his body like no one else.

On silent feet, he closed the distance and slipped his arms around her waist.

Leslie gasped. “Jake, geeze, you scared me. How long have you been here? I didn’t here you come in.”

He leaned down and inhaled her citrus scented hair. “Not long,” he said, and kissed the side of her neck, once, twice, until Leslie relaxed into him. “I was just watching you. You were dancing and it was very enticing.” He ground his erection lightly into her backside; a side effect that always plagued him in her presence. He’d yet to sate this ever growing need for her—all of her.

“I want you, Leslie,” he breathed in her ear.

She tensed and he eased away. He’d given her time and space. They’d spent many days and nights in each other’s arms, doing nothing more than talking and holding. She always pulled away, and he let her without hesitation. Never did he want her to feel pressured, because over the past few months of getting to know one anther, he found he’d fallen in love with her. Now he yearned to have more.

“Leslie, please don’t push me away.” The plea came out quiet and strained.

“I’m trying, Jake, I really am.”

“Are you?” he snapped. It wasn’t only about sex. Granted it did put a strain on him wanting her so badly, yet holding back. But Leslie held herself at a distance, both emotionally and sexually. He wanted more from her. Hell, he wanted all of her.

The hurt in Leslie’s eyes all but undid him. He didn’t want to hurt her, but damn it, she was hurting him in the process.

Leslie turned on her heel and walked into the living room.

“Don’t ignore this. Talk to me,” Jake said from behind her.

“Maybe I’m not ready for this, Jake.” She shook her head. “I’m sorry, but-”

“Damn it, Leslie!” He cut her off and violently speared his fingers through his hair. “Turn around and look at me.” His words released sharper than he meant and she flinched.

She turned and yelled, “What do you want from me?” Her hands and teeth clenched, waiting for his reply.

He stared at her, his own rising temper evident in the ticking of his jaw. “What do I want?” His voice calmed. “I want you to open your eyes. Leslie, quit being afraid.”

“What do you mean? Just say whatever it is you mean!”

“Damn it! Look at me. See me. That’s what I want. I want you to see me. I want you to want me.” Sadness stole over his features. His shoulders slumped. He walked to the front door and rested his hand on the knob. His eyes welled with tears, but he forced them away. Quietly, he added, “Me, Leslie. Charlie is gone. He isn’t coming back. But I’m here.”


Leslie’s knees nearly gave out. Inside she wailed not to let him go but could not bring voice to the plea. She knew the rightness of his words.

With his head down, Jake added, “And I love you.”

Stunned to the deepest reaches of herself, she stood motionless as if time stopped. However, Jake was not affected. He turned the knob, opened the door and left. Just like that, he was gone. Just like Charlie—gone.

Her knees did give out then. She sank to the floor. Her chest quivered. She tried desperately to control the turbulence of emotions. The truth of his words hurt her more than anything. She was afraid and a coward.

Sensing a weight upon her chest, she brought her hand up and gripped the pendant in her fist. Her head snapped up. He wasn’t gone like Charlie. He was alive and well, and he loved her, and, oh, God, she loved him, too. What a fool she was. She realized that the numbness she’d walked around with since Charlie died no longer resided within her, and hadn’t since their first encounter at the coffee shop. Jake brought her back to life, fed her soul, strengthening it with his friendship, his kindness. And his love.

Darting to her feet, she raced to the door. She hoped she wasn’t too late. Leslie flung the door open with such force it ricocheted off the closet that protruded beside it.

She was too late. Jake had already pulled out of the driveway. She watched him disappear in the distance, growing smaller and smaller on the long straight road before her.

“Please, don’t leave,” she said in the empty silence around her. Unable to hold back her tears, they spilled down her cheeks, a tidal wave of emotions. Her chest quaked with her indrawn breath. A sob escaped her parted lips.

“I love you, too,” she whispered in the air.


Second Chances © 2008 Amanda Cummings
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This book may not be reproduced in whole or in part without permission.

If you missed any of the previous parts, here are the handy dandy links! Or you can access them from the right hand side of my blog!

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four

Thank you!


12 comments:

Sally DeMille said...

OMG! An erection pressed into her backside and she was still unsure of what she wanted.
Poor Jake.
I don't live very far from Lake Ontario, I'll meet Jake at Tim Horton's. lol

Christine said...

My heart goes out to both Leslie and Jake. I wish he hadn't left so fast... I knew she was ready to see that what Jake said was true. She just needed it to be spelled out to her and for it to sink in, you know?

"Jake! Jake! Come back! Jake" <--imitating Rose in the movie Titanic when she's calling Jack back from his frozen death.

You're gonna make us wait till Monday, aren't you?

Tracy said...

Poor Jake! Although I'm with Christine - he should have stayed and fought for her longer. Yet, 4 months is a damned long time! :) Can't wait to read the next part Amy!

Amy C said...

I know, he should have stayed longer, but it's a short story and I needed them to be apart, Leslie needed to realize that her life did need to move on and as long as he was there she may not have figured it out, or something!

Haha, Christine. I've only seen titanic twice but I know that scene! And umm, I'm thinking Tuesday! Is that mean, or what? :P

Lea said...

Oh NO!!!!

You cannot do this Amy Cummings... You CANNOT leave me hanging - WTH.....

I want the next chapter right now, now, now, now. I'm stomping the feet here. :(

Oh man, poor Leslie and Jake.

L

Erotic Horizon said...

I agree with Lea...

I need more, anticipation will KILL me...

E.H>

P.S. - Amy would you please drop me a line at erotichorizon@googlemail.com

Blodeuedd said...

Oh no! please come back, I do hope he will come back, turning that car around. You're killing me here

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

Beautiful!! I love it!! The anticipation is so sweet! You're right, with Leslie and Jake apart the fireworks should be spectacular, unless....

Tuesday - you're kidding right?

Can't wait for Amy!

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

LOL! :P

Yes, I was kidding about Tuesday. I was actually getting it ready to post for tomorrow! I found an inconsistency in the ending I had to fix. It's all good! I think the ending ought to make you smile. I hope so. I'm pretty happy about it!

Thank you again for reading!

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

I saw this posting yesterday, right before our power went out....and I had to wait all the way to this morning to read the next installment! When the power came back, the cable internet went out and didn't come back until this morning...really bad living without internet!!!

I was just over at Cecile's, excellent ending! That so too much fun! OMG, I can't believe over 4000 words.

Really looking forward to the rest of your story, I'll be checking back!!

Dottie :)

Eva S said...

Hey Amy,
thanks for the great story! I want the rest of the story right now too, but I guess I'll have to wait like the others....What do you have in mind for the next story?

Amy C said...

hey Dottie! Well, at least you can't blame me for making you wait :P. It does suck to lose power, which means no internet!!

Hey Eva, well, not sure about the next story. This one I already had wrote, just had to update the ending. I do have one I would really like to finish. It's probably alot closer to being done than I realize. It's like 10,000 words now and I didn't figure it would be more than 20,000, most likely less than that. I did add several hundred words the other day. If I could just stay with it, I could have it done in a matter of a few weeks! It's a hot little story too! When I do get it finished I will definitely post it here, but more like I did Spirits Unveiled, a chapter a week!