Friday, July 3, 2009

First Half of 2009 Top Ten and other Mentionables!

Can you believe we are already halfway through 2009?? It's crazy, isn't it? I have read a lot of really great books this year though. I did this last year and thought I might as well do it again this year. My top ten books for the first half of 2009. It will be interesting to see which books remain at the top of the list by the end of the year, but I'll likely just add ten more to this list and make it a top 20 :). I keep a list of all read books in a separate word document for each year, and I'll put an asterisk beside books that I really really enjoyed. I have 27 marked! Now I must narrow that down to 10!

Here's my list in order that I read them:

1. Denise Rossetti - The Flame and The Shadow
Review
I read through some reviews before I read this and it was the mention of the shadow and the love that occurs between the hero alone and with the heroine that intrigued me most, and it's also what makes it stand out and a favorite. It's different and original!

2. Lisa Hendrix - Immortal Warrior
Review
This one, it's gotten mixed reviews, but I loved the struggle that the hero had to deal with regarding his curse, which causes him to be a hawk by day and man by night. He wanted something more, he wanted a family, a wife, and in the end, he got what he wanted.

3. Megan Hart - Stranger
Review
I loved this book! I felt Grace's struggle with opening herself to love in a profound way! I loved how the book was centered more on Grace than anything. You get a glimpse into a pivotal turning point in her life and it was just amazing!

4. Amanda McIntyre - Diary of Cozette
Review
This is another one like Stranger, it was centered more on Cozette and her sexual growth. Anther absolutely fabulous book! And Mr. Rodin, well there's going to be more of him, much more of him to come in the future, in The Master and The Muses!

5. Amanda McIntyre - Tirnan 'Oge in Faery Song
Review
This also was less of a romance and more of the lonely life of Roan, but still a romance. I loved the writing in this one. Totally struck a chord in my heart!

6. Pati Nagle - The Betrayal
Review
This one because I'd never felt such compassion for the antagonist in a book before. It's not black and white here. And it's a wonderful world!

7. Dru Pagliassotti - Clockwork Heart
Review
Hmmm, what can I say but that this book was so vividly written! Amazing and unique and a very sweet romance!

8. Jennifer Ashley - The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
Review
Never have I read a hero that had a mental illness before, and Lord Ian Mackenzie was just so darn good! Open with his wickedness, he was all about his Beth!

9. Anne Bishop - The Shadow Queen
Review
Well, it's Anne Bishop!

10. Elizabeth Vaughan - The Warlands Trilogy (Warprize, Warsworn, Warlord)
I loved the relationship between Keir and Lara! I loved that no matter what obstacles were placed before them, neither ever denied the feelings they had for each other. It only intensified them and made them stronger.

.

One thing I realized after I finished my top ten list...I reviewed all of them too! Well, only one of the Elizabeth Vaughan books, but otherwise all of them.

There are certainly other books and authors I read so far this year that I thought were outstanding as well.

Allison Chase-
Dark Obsession
Dark Temptation
She has a very nice kind of Gothic feel to her books. I loved both of them and hope she has something new coming out soon! I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up.



Karin Tabke-
Master of Torment
Master of Surrender
Master of Craving
I loved the first two books in this medieval series! I did a spotlight on them. You can find that here.



Jamie Leigh Hensan-
Betrayed
Cursed
This is an author that I don't hear anything about, but I have really enjoyed her two books. I read the first one last year, Betrayed, and I fell in love with her writing voice! It's one of those that meshes well with me. I read her second one, Cursed, and it turned out to be one of those that I couldn't believe I let sit on the shelf as long as I did before reading it, since I did love Betrayed. She has a very imaginative mind, creating some amazing scenes!



And of course, Jade Lee and G.A. Aiken, both of them have fabulous dragon books! Jade Lee for the serious plot and characters and G.A. Aiken if you want a little humor with your dragon tale! But both are two of my favorites!



There were some fantasies that left a mark with their uniqueness that I doubt I will soon forget.
A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer and A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear. They both left me WOWed! Very cool.



So there you have it, a run down of my top books for the first half of 2009! Do any of mine match yours? What are some of your favorites for the year so far? Any new authors that sparked you?


26 comments:

Cindy W said...

I've been wanting to read The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie! Hope you have a Happy 4th!

Amy C said...

Thanks, Cindy :). You have a great 4th also! It's actually my 12 year anniversary! We are going away for the night and leaving Devin with my mom.

You'll like Ian Mackenzie :)!

Leontine said...

I have 6 of your top ten on my shelves but still need to read Anne Bishop, Denise Rossetti, Lisa Hendrix, they all sound like fabulous reads! Great List Amy!

Amy C said...

Hey Leontine! I hope you like Denise Rossetti! It really is quite different. There is a little boy that I just love! Fookin' 'ell, he likes to say! It's funny!

nath said...

Great list, Amy :) I'm glad that Warlands Chronicles made your top 10 :D Still need to read the Betrayal... it's been next to my bed for weeks! :D

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Madness of Ian Mackenzie is coming up on my list too - everyone is raving about it! Have a happy 4th of July weekend!

Michelle G said...

Amy,

I have a few of your favorites on my tbr shelf - I'm glad to know you enjoyed them. :)

I've also added a few to my must have list. LOL Thanks for the heads up.

M

Anna said...

I've read one of the books you did, And I have 4 on my list to be read.

Some of my faves this year have been:
Devil In Winter- Lisa Kleypas
Hell Kat- Vivi Anna
Maximum Ride- James Patterson
Romancing Mr. Bridgerton- Lisa Kleypas
Magic Strikes- Ilona Andres
Dead and Gone- Charlaine Harris
The Secret Diaries of Miss Miranda Cheever- Julia Quinn
Dirty- Megan Hart

and the one I'm reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is become a favorite too. :)

Amy C said...

Oh Duh! Anna! I completely forgot about the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society book!! OMG, how did I let that slip past me!! I need to edit my above list :).

I wonder how I will receive Dirty? I imagine I'll love it too!

Hey Michelle! It's always nice to hear that some of my recommendations made it on some one elses list!

Amy C said...

Hi Nath,
Oh yes, definitely enjoyed the Warlands. I never would have read it if I hadn't seen it around on different peoples blogs. Thank goodness for blogs, eh?? I hope you like The Betrayal! I'm really lookin forward to the next one!

Julie! I really hope you like Ian! I can't say the plot and all that was to my liking, but character and relationship wise, I loved it! I just read a book the other day that I have a review coming for. It's by Karen Ranney, A Scotsman in Love! I LOVED that book! There wasn't alot of plot action, it was totally character driven, their inner turmoils and such...very good!

Donna (Fantasy Dreamer) said...

Nice list of tops! I've read a couple but there a couple I need to investigate. Thanks!

I have something for you over at my blog.

Anna said...

Dirty was steamy but, an emotional read. Kinda of a twist in the plot that's shocking and you don't see coming.

Renee said...

Wow, what a great list of reading, Amy! I see a few I still really need to get to. I'm going to keep this post in mind when I'm looking for some more inspiration on books to read.

It made me happy to see that you really enjoyed some of the books we talked/emailed about. :-)

Eva S said...

Hi Amy,
great list! Some of them are on my list, some are on my TBB list. I'll have to add more...

Happy 4th of July!

delitealex said...

One of my faves for the year is relentless by lauren dane I haven't read any of the books on your list but alot of them are on my tbr list I'm glad you enjoyed them. I haven't seen the Alison Chase books but they seem like good reads. definitely have to look them up.

delitealex said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm just starting out but having fun with it.

Mary G said...

Hi Amy
I love Karen Tabke but I've never read this genre. I should give them a try. Just wanted to wish you a happy 4th of July from a Canadian.

Lea said...

What a wonderful list Amy! I have a few of those in my stacks to read. :)

I should do something like this too, I would think it would help to refocus somewhat. ;)

Man, I've got so many books to read! Yikes... lol

Sorry I'm so late responding, I can't get on your blog at work and it's been a really busy evening.

((Hugs))
L

Linda Ellen said...

Whoa! We're halfway through 2009! I didn't realize that until I read your post.

Nice selction of books. Many are yummy. ;) I saw A Companion to Wolves at the bookstore the other day and thought of getting it, but my honey was with me. Just glancing at the cover a second time could prove to be fatal. Who knows, the wolves could descend.

Amy C said...

Thank you, Donna, for the award!

Oh, Anna! I really need to pull Dirty off the shelf so I'll get to it soon!

Hey Renee, two of those books in particular, A Companion to Wolves (which I already had, but read because I saw you were) and A Brother's Price (because you recommended it) were so different, I still think about them.

Hey Eva! Thank you! I hope you have a great weekend too!

Amy C said...

Hey Delitealex, I ahven't head anything by Lauren Dane. I don't read that much contemporaries. But I think you would really like Allison Chase. She has a nice writing voice and good stories.

Thanks, Mary! I've only read her historicals! I've thought about trying her contemps. Someday!

Hey Lea! I think it's fun (and time-consuming) to go through your books and see what's what! I hope you do, I would love to read it. Hmmm, I wonder why you can't access my blog from work anymore? Oh well, no worries!!

Amy C said...

I know, Linda Ellen!! It is crazy to think it's halfway through the year already!

A Companion to Wolves isn't exactly a romance! There is homosexual behavior in it. It's really a very interesting world. The relationship between the pack males is brutal. And it was that that will make that book always stand out to me!

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

Wow, great list, I have some of them in my TBR stack. It exploded out of the cabinet while we were gone and what a mess! I have to get more reading done, you're putting me to shame!

Dottie :)

I just noticed Highland Rebel on your sidebar, did you read Broken Wing? I loved it!

Amy C said...

Hey Dottie, Yes ma'am, I read Broken Wing when it came out (Thanks to KristieJ for pimpin it like she did last year!). I actually have a copy of Highland Rebel for review. I got it a while ago. It's getting close that I need to read it soon. I hope it's as good. I loved Broken Wing. I did review in on my blog. As a matter of fact, on the back cover of Highland Rebel there is a line from my review! I was so excited when I saw that. I had to go through my review to make sure it was mine, and sure enough it was. So unless the ARC's change, I got a little one liner on her book :).

And Judith James is going to guest blog on September 2nd!

Christine said...

Great list, Amy! You always manage to find some really wonderful gems!

And how amazingly cool that your review quote will be on the back cover of Highland Rebel!??!! So. cool.

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

I can't wait to read Highland Rebel! I loved Broken Wing. I'll definitely be back for your post with Judith James!

Dottie :)