Monday, July 13, 2009

Mailbox Monday

How was your weekend? I've already belly ached about the cold I picked up when we went to Syracuse on Wednesday :(. We had a great time though. Can't say we'd go back, but it was a nice way to spend the day. The weather was perfect and I got to buy some books. The two story Borders was not so nice. There was a nice stock of books in the Romance and Fantasy but the store itself wasn't so great. There wasn't even a little cafe inside! Not that we would have sat down since Devin was with us. But there is this other bookstore, Lift Bridge Book Shop. It's in Brockport about an hour up the road. I think me and my mom are going to take a day trip up there...Without Devin! It sounds like a pretty big place, and there are local authors that go there for signings.

My mailbox was in heaven as well as myself! It seemed I got at least one book everyday this past week. The last thing arrived yesterday. Thanks to Michelle G. I now have the first three books in the Stephanie Plum series!


These books I got from PBS! I had checked out Neverwhere from the library and then it became available and I got it in the mail about halfway trhough the library copy. And I couldn't have been more relieved. The library copy had like food smudges and dried bits here and there. It really was quite gross.


Our trip to Syracuse I managed to snag the books I wanted! Every one of them. That's always such a great feeling when you go to the store and find every book on your list. I am really looking forward to reading all of these books. Lots and lots of fantasy in there :).


Last but certainly not least, G.A Aiken sent me an ARC of What a Dragon Should Know. She'll be stopping by here next month, giving away a copy! I'm very excited about that and I hope you guys are too! Let me say real quick, if you haven't read the first two Dragon Actually and About a Dragon, well, you really should, because if you are a stickler for reading in order you're going to want to read those because you are NOT going to want to miss What a Dragon Should Know! OMG, she is So. Damn. Funny. I am half through and Oh man, there are so many scenes that made me laugh, and I don't laugh often at all when I'm reading. I think these may be the best characters I have ever read!!


What about you, did you get any new books in the mail lately?

Weekly meme hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page


21 comments:

Amanda said...

Well I went book shopping on Friday to cheer myself up and I got Single White Vampire, Lynsay Sands, The Lost Duke of Wyndham, Julia Quinn, Twenties Girl, Sophie Kinsella and Cleopatra's Daughter Michelle Moran!

That was a great haul Amy!!

In relation to Library books, I hate it too when they are covered in food and stuff to me its so disrepectful.... I know spoken like a true lover of books!

Mandi said...

Wow, you got some good books. My friend just go the first in the GA Aiken series so I will have to borrow it from her!!

Kristen said...

I don't think I've ever found everything on my book list, you lucky girl! What a great mailbox week for you.

I Heart Book Gossip said...

Oh book shopping how I miss thee! Amy what is PBS? Is it a store or a website? Great haul! I love hearing the mailman ring my doorbell. It's music to my ears!

Have a great day!

Amy C said...

Oh, IHBG!! Crazy hysteria ensues when my mail man approaches my door...My dog goes ballistic barking. It's so embarrassing!

PBS is PaperBackSwap.com. It's a site you can trade your books with others. You list yours they list there's and every time you mail a book to someone you get credit for one book. It's pretty neat.

Hey Kristen, I was so happy to find all four books I had on my list fir that shopping trip. Especially since one of them isn't new.

Hey Amanda, you got a nice stack of books! I hope it did cheer you up :). It does make me feel better to buy a book or two.

YES, Mandi, you must read them! I think they are so good. This third one is my favorite yet. You get Gwenvael in the first two, but not like you get him in What a Dragon Should Know!

Eva S said...

Hey Amy,
great books! Much fantasy, my books were more historicals this week, Julia Quinn: What Happens in London and Jennifer Haymore: A Hint of Wicked.
My favorite was Branded by Fire and even if I don't read many contemps I'm looking forward to reading Lisa Kleypas' Smooth Talking Stranger.

I don't know about G.A. Aiken... I love dragons, but not funny books!

Amy C said...

Hey Eva, I had origianlly passed on the GA Aiken books when I first looked into them last year because they were described as being funny. But something told me to try them when they released. And she is more than just funny. I don't do funny either, but her charaters and the way they treat each other as a family is perfect! And it make me laugh. Her dragons are in a league all their own!

Michelle G said...

Amy,

Very nice bunch of books. :) I have not read G A Aiken - I will have to check in to those.

M

Eva S said...

I'll try one, if I can find them here...I do love dragons, and there aren't so many books with them around!

Leontine said...

Hi AMy,
What a pile of books, wow! And doing a happy dance because GA Aiken is stopping here. Marking that one in my calendar! I have her first book up on my birthday list so i will have to wait what that day delivers me.

Kaye said...

Wow, Evanovich is a riot! If you like her and haven't read Plum Spooky, you should get that one. Too funny!

Have a great week and happy reading. My MM is here

Blodeuedd said...

Awesome week for you :D
Start with Evanovich. No, they all look good. happy reading

Donna (Fantasy Dreamer) said...

Quite a load of books! I see you got American Gods, good book - the end leaves you thinking about the book for a good while.

I actually have the first two books in the Dragon Kin series. Have I read them yet - no. *sigh* This series sounds fun.

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

I think I got a couple of kids books to review. Lite week for me. I have a couple of books in the Sharing Knife Series. I'm thinking I'll grab the first two in the series and give it a read.

You did have a nice haul, lucky you!

I haven't read G A Aiken, I'll look to see if I can find the first in her series and give it a try as well.

So many books to read, so little time....

Dottie :)

Anna said...

Hi Amy,

Good Haul! I have some books waiting for me at the Post Office. I'll be getting them in a few hours. I know at least one of them is the Anthology Strange Brew.

I have G.A. Aiken's first Dragon book on my PBS list. But I'm gonna see if I can find it when i got shopping in August. :)

Mary G said...

Hi Amy
I got a book I won - Sweet Restraint by Beth Kery. It was as amazing as her other books.

Amy C said...

Oh, Eva, I think I forgot to mention that GA also writes hot and steamy Dragons! :P

Leontine! I hope you get Dragon Actually for your birthday! I reviewed that one.

Hi Kaye, I haven't read any Evanovich yet, but I hear she is funny! I haven't been to keen on funny but I'm exploring that in my reading a little here and there. It all started with GA's Dragons :).

hey Blodeuedd, I know...Decisions, Decisions!

Hi Donna, I have heard such great things about American Gods. Not sure when I'll get to it, but I will! I hope you read at least the first one of the Dragon Kin books soon! They are really good!

Hi Dottie, I've read two other books by Bujold and I really liked them, The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls. I am sure I will really like The Sharing Knife books as well!

Anna! I hope you can find Dragon Actually. I know you will love it too!

Hey Mary, Sweet Restraint, that one sounds great. I've only read Wicked Burn and it was hot!

Mary G said...

Hi Amy - if you loved Wicked Burn you will love Daring Time as well as Sweet Restraint.
They are different but all have Beth's "can't out them down" thing.

Mary G said...

Can't PUT them down thing - sorry

Tracy said...

You got some great books at the store! Right one! I still need to read Aiken's second book in that series. Maybe I'll do that this week. :)

Mary said...

Nice bunch of books! Enjoy!