Monday, July 20, 2009

Mailbox Monday

Do you ever get this overwhelming urge to buy a particular book that you've pondered buying, so you can read it right away? Like you can't stop thinking about it until you have it in your hands? I did that the other day. I had looked into this particular book by Gail Dayton several times and passed based on the cover. But on Friday, I could not contain the curiosity any longer! I had to have the book and I had to have it now. I remembered seeing a copy at the one Borders I shop at the most and went there first. Whew, there was a copy there. And then of course, the urgency to have the books is over because it's in my hands, now the overwhelming sense of giddy relief has taken over! So I had this extra little bounce to my step as I approached the counter to check out...and the one super nice lady pops up and says, "Hi, Amy!"...Good grief she scared that happy bounce right out of me! But we discussed the book a bit and it put the happy bounce back in my step as I left the store :). You see, the book is labeled to be a steampunk romance and that I was not aware of. I've only read one book in that genre and I Loved it! Clockwork Heart by Dru Pagliassotti! This one, New Blood, is pretty good so far. I hope to post my thoughts about it in the coming week.

I did receive two books in the mail. One of them an ARC for review. It sounds like it could be an emotionally moving story--When You Went Away by Michael Baron.
"Michael Baron writes with deep sensitivity of the power to transform and heal in the face of overwhelming tragedy. A lovely read." -- #1 New York Times bestselling author, Susan Wiggs
The other a lovely copy of Sweet Restraint by Beth Kery! Thank you, Lea for your kindness :). I know I'm going to enjoy this one!



And I bought one e-book last week. I have been meaning to try something by Shelly Laurenston ever since I read and fell in love with her dragons under the name G.A. Aiken. I purchased Pack Challenge and read it that day. Oh it was so good. I'm partial to her dragons but I really did love this first one and will buy the next ones in the series. She writes such great aggressive scenes!

I'd say this weeks mailbox turned out quite nicely!

What about you, did y'all get anything this past week?

Weekly meme hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page


22 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I hope you enjoy your new books!

Amy C said...

Hi Bermudaonion! I did enjoy one and am enjoying another! Thanks for stopping by :)

Donna (Fantasy Dreamer) said...

I've been wanting to read a Steampunk genre book, I'll be interested in your thoughts on New Blood.

Enjoy your new reads!

Lea said...

Good Morning Amy!

That "New Blood", book looks facinating Amy! I hope you enjoy it and will look forward to your thoughts.

I'm delighted you received "Sweet Restraint", and so hope you enjoy it!

You got great reads there girl.

Enjoy..
((hugs))
L

Amy C said...

Hi Donna, I can tell you, I would definitely recommend Clockwork Heart by Dru Pagliassotti. Steampunk is usually described as being set in a Victorian London, I'm still a little confused how one would label steampunk. Clockwork Heart is in its own fantasy world, but it's considered Steampunk. And so far I would not label New Blood as Steampunk. It is more just an alternate magical world. Very neat in my opinion!

Leontine said...

Hi AMy,
I heard about New Blood when I was super active at Shelfari. She (Gail Dayton) placed a 2 star review for Warsworn and that piqued my interest. So I checked her out and she has another trilogy with Rose something that caught my attention. For some reason they still on my wishlist.

I have absolutely nothing to show for in my Mailbox Monday, not one book headed my way - so don't feel the post love right now :-) - I have yet to read my first steampunk book and frankly have got no clue what the genre entails *blush*

Amy C said...

Morning Lea! Definitely enjoying New Blood. I don't think it's a book that most would enjoy. The romance is there, but it's not the driving force behind the story. I'm loving it though. Very interesting stuff, unique and original!

I know I'm going to like Sweet Restraint! Thanks :D. I'm reading as soon as I finish New Blood!

Amy C said...

Hey Leontine! Gail Dayton only gave 2 stars to Warsworn?? Holy cow! I loved that trilogy! :D That's okay, everyone thinks differently about different books.

I have read the first book in Gail's other trilogy, The Compass Rose. I read it back when it first released with Luna. I finally did buy the other two in the series a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. I always think about the characters and wonder why I didn't stay with the books as they released.

I think I might do a post or something about steampunk. I'm a little confused. I think I got it, but then a book gets labeled steampunk and I have to scratch my head again!

Amy C said...

Leontine,
Here is a link to a blog post by Gail Dayton talking about steampunk. I think it's pretty informative.

http://ffnp.blogspot.com/2009/07/steampunk-explained.html

Mary said...

When You Went Away intrigues me. I'll have to watch for that one!

Amanda said...

Hey Amy!!

I'll be really interested in your review of this one! Well my mailbox contained, seductive imposter janet chapman and Rhapsody!! Going to get stuck in later!

Hope you enjoy your books!

Mary G said...

Hi Amy
I rec'd Run to Me by Christy Reece - won it & it was signed. 3rd in a romantic suspense trilogy.She has an amazing imagination. Even the lesser characters are interesting. You'll love Sweet Restraint. Enjoy the rest.

Blodeuedd said...

I really have to try steampunk one of these day. I hope it's a good one. I will look forward to your review
Happy reading

Eva S said...

Hi Amy,
interesting books, looking forward to your thoughts about them.
I got some old historicals in my mailbox, Susan Carroll's The Bride Finder and Mary Balogh's The Secret Pearl,and Joey W Hill's The Vampire Queen's Servant.

Will look for these steampunk books...

Anna said...

There have been a few times I've almost picked up New Blood. I love the cover. :) Hope you are enjoying it.

Tracy said...

I LOVE Pack Challenge! Such a good book. Glad you enjoyed it!

Renee said...

Oh, I'm going to have to look up pack Challenge. I've been in the mood for another shifter story!

I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on New Blood! :-)

Have a great week, Amy!

Amy C said...

HI Mary, I am really interested in When you Went Away also. I wonder how emotional it will be?

Amanda! I love Janet Chapman. My mom has read all her books. I'm behind though. I don't have the one you just got. I haven't started any of her regular contemps. I've only read her time traveling magic ones!

Hi Mary G., Congrats on your win! Yes, I'm looking forward to Sweet Restraint. I got it on my table still. I fear if I shelf it until I finish this book I'm reading now, it may get lost!

Hey Blodeuedd, I'm real new to the steampunk. I know there is a lot out there but I want a little romance, you know. I am really enjoying New Blood! ANd I'm getting more now why it's labeled Steampunk.

Amy C said...

Oh Eva! I really hope you like The Bride Finder. I love it :). Enjoy your other reads too!

Hi Anna, you love the cover of New Blood? The blood on the cover kept me from buying it when it first came out. It was kinda creepy. It's growing on me now. I have an aversion to blood. It also made me think that the story may be a little scary. But it's not! Not at all!

Hey Tracy, oh yes and I plan on getting her other books after that one!

Hi Renee, I'm sure you would love pack challenge. You have a great week also :).

Christine said...

Can't wait for your thoughts on New Blood!!!!

Kelly @ The Novel Bookworm said...

I'm looking forward to reading some great reviews! Happy reading!

Amy C said...

Hey Christine! I should have my review ready to post tomorrow for New Blood. I really enjoyed it!

Thanks for dropping by, Kelly! And happy reading to you :D.