Monday, July 27, 2009

Mailbox Monday

Happy Monday! I only received one book in the mail last week. I have no idea when I'll get around to reading it, but I got it!

In the Garden of Iden
by Kage Baker

Book One in the Company series

From Publishers Weekly-

Looking for a lost plant, an immortal, nearly 1000-year-old botanist returns to the 16th century from the 24th in this lively debut. On her first trip back through time, Mendoza lands in the England of 1554, just after the accession of Mary Tudor, aka Bloody Mary. Her mission: to prevent the extinction of a strain of holly that can be used in the 24th century as a cancer cure. In the past, Mendoza encounters religious persecution, flaws in her disguise and, most dangerous of all, affection for a 16th-century mortal male. She escapes these perils in a way that strongly suggests this book may be the first in a series. Which is indeed good news, since Baker's characterizations are robust and detailed, as is her development of the historical setting. Her pacing is too breezy, however, and the book's premise unusually far-fetched. Dedicated aficionados of time-travel stories will certainly find this an agreeable read, while others will recognize in Baker a fantasist of considerable promise. (Feb.)

Read a review by Renee here.
Visit Website here.
Read an Excerpt here.

What about you, did you get anything new?

Weekly meme hosted by Marcia at The Printed Page


10 comments:

Donna (Fantasy Dreamer) said...

Looking interesting, a back in time novel. I remember being fascinated about stories centered around "Bloody Mary" when I was in high school. Happy reading!

Lea said...

I love the cover art Amy!!

It does sound interesting.. I hope you enjoy it (when you get to it)...

((hugs))
L

MsMoonlight (Elizabeth Jules Mason) said...

Hi Amy!
I bought the first 3 books in the YA vampire series "The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod" by Heather Brewer and so far its good. My daughter can't wait to get her hands on them and from what I see on Borders and B&N websites these books are rated 5 star and very popular.

:o)

MsM

Blodeuedd said...

Nice concept, have never heard about it. But will look forward to that review one day :)

The_Book_Queen said...

Amy,

Oh, looks like a good book, though I've never even heard of it! Damn, there goes another one for my list... It's multiplying like bunnies now! :D

Look forward to a review from it....

And to answer the question, nope I didn't receive anything this past week. But I did break down and buy a few books at WalMart Friday... And today I have to pick up 2 reserved books from my library, so I'm not too upset about the lack of visits from the UPS man. ;)

Enjoy!
TBQ

Eva S said...

Another time travel...I haven't yet decided if I like them or not.
I got Megan Hart's Tempted in my mailbox, and bought The Darkest Pleasure by Gena Showalter.

I wish my library had ad least some of these books....

I hope you'll have a great week!

Leanna Renee Hieber said...

Hi Amy!

This book looks intriguing. I love the cover art.

THANK YOU for featuring my book on your upcoming releases! If you'd be interested in receiving an advanced copy at the beginning of August, I could see about getting you on Dorchester's list, drop me a line at leannareneehieber@yahoo.com if you are interested - I'll really appreciate the help in launching the Strangely Beautiful series.

Your blog is simply GORGEOUS.

Blessings!

Amy C said...

Eva, I like a good time travel, but I have read a few that just didn't make much sense! So I'm leery of trying too many of them. I hope you like Tempted. That's one I'm not too sure about. It has infidelity, not so sure about that!

Hey TBQ, Books bought or books recieved in the mail, it's all good!

Hi Blodeuedd, it's one of those I would never have heard of either if it weren't for Renee blogging about it. Actually it was a new release by the author and then Renee mentioned she wanted to read this one first.

Hey MsM, I hope that vamp series is a five star for you and your daughter too!

Hi Lea, I hope it's a good one too...when I get to it :).

Embarrassingly enough, Donna, I didn't know much of anything about the Tudor era until the Tudors aired on Showtime :)! I was never much for history in school!

Amy C said...

You are so very welcome, Leanna! Your book sounds so good! I first seen it over on another blog. I can't think whose at the moment. Ugh, I hate that!

I'm off to email you now! Thank you :)

Caffey said...

Hi Amy! First wanted to let you know you were nominated for LETS BE FRIENDS award at my blog http://caffeys-reads.blogspot.com/2009/07/lets-be-friends-blog-award.html Congrats!

Wow, so beautiful a cover for IN THE GARDEN OF EDEN and blurb! Thanks for the heads up!