Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Whatever Wednesday

Instead of doing a Waiting on Wednesday post today, I've changed it to Whatever Wednesday along with a Waiting on Wednesday. Just a few things I thought I'd share, so I compiled it all in one post!

Tuesday, I called my mom up, cuz I was bored, and asked if she wanted to drive to this one bookstore that's in Brockport. I'd never been there, only heard of it because I'm signed up with booktours.com and there are local area authors there all the time. I don't know who the authors are. They don't write anything I'd read! This store is just outside of Rochester, which was an hour drive for us. We were both excited about checking out this new place, you know?

Well, we were both a tad bit disappointed to say the least. The store itself was so cluttered with different little trinkets, you could have almost forgot you were in a bookstore. Then it had kind of a used bookstore feel. But the biggest disappointmend that I had was the fact that they didn't have a romance section! What romances they did have were dispersed amongst the fiction books. That just tells me that this particular store does not acknowledge romances as a worthy genre. I mean, there was a section for mystery and sci/fi! But no romance! So yeah, that was a tad frustrating. But it was a super nice day for a drive! And I'd never been to Brockport, which is one of those cute little ity bity towns. Or at least where we were that's the way it seemed. It could have been bigger, but we were on the main street, where it's all old and has that quaint feel to it with the plants hanging from the street sign posts and lamp posts.
__________________________

I discovered this other really cool place thanks to author Leanna Renee Hieber for bringing it to my attention. I plan on putting together a box for the cause. And I'll be doing it periodically throughout the years. It's a wonderful thing, enabling us to share the love of romance with women not so fortunate.

Share The Love of books!


Donate yours today!
(click the link for more info and mailing addresses.)
_________________________

One other thing, my dear friend is having her second annual giveaway! Christmas in July! Christine has several books to chose from. Head on over and enter today @ the Happily Ever After. Contest runs until August 1st!

Another blogging friend has a contest she just posted this morning. Ms. Cecile @ All I Want and More is celebrating her 101st post and has some nice books up for prizes as well as a special guest author! Head on over there and check it out!
______________________

Now for Waiting on Wednesday!

You know, I passed Leanna I don't know how many times at the Lori Foster's event, but had no idea who she was! If I had known that her upcoming release was this book, I would have made it a point to talk with her. But with so many authors there, I didn't know :(. But I know now! And I am very much looking forward to reading this book! And she has generously offered me an ARC!

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Percy Parker
by Leanna Renee Hieber

The ghostly, Gothic Victorian fantasy begins! First in the Strangely Beautiful quartet of novels...

Publication Date: 8/25/09 from Leisure Books / Dorchester Publishing

The Strangely Beautiful series continues 2/24/2010!

What fortune awaited sweet, timid Percy Parker at Athens Academy? Considering how few of Queen Victoria’s Londoners knew of it, the great Romanesque fortress was dreadfully imposing, and little could Percy guess what lay inside. She had never met the powerful and mysterious Professor Alexi Rychman, knew nothing of the growing shadow, the Ripper and other supernatural terrors against which his coterie stood guard. She knew simply that she was different, haunted, with her snow-white hair, pearlescent skin and uncanny gifts. But this arched stone doorway offered a portal to a new life, an education far from the convent—and an invitation to an intimate yet dangerous dance at the threshold of life and death….

Oh yes, I really want to read this book!


10 comments:

Lea said...

Great post Amy!!!

Sounds like you have a nice read ahead there.

Sorry about the bookstore. :(

Have a great Day!!!

Best
L

Christine said...

The storefront to that bookshop looks so quaint and inviting. Too bad the inside didn't quite live up to your hopes and expectations. At least you spent some time with Mom. :)

Thanks for the giveaway shout out, Amy. That's very sweet of you. The funny thing is, that I was planning on sending some of the books left over after my giveaway to the Share the Love of Books program, too! I think Kate told me about it a few months ago. Anyway... great minds think alike and all that. ;)

Leanna's book sounds fascinating. I'm looking forward to it myself!

Amy C said...

Hi Lea, Thanks! Yes, the book does sound like it's going to be a great one for me :).

Christine! How cool that you were going to send some books to Share the Love! I think it's a great idea. I need to go through my books today and see what I've got to send!

MsMoonlight (Elizabeth Jules Mason) said...

That's really too bad about the bookstore. Might be another case of people thinking romance books are "trashy novels" (ugh!) and worth space on their shelves. There used to be a small book store were I live that was like 70% romance books with a good section used books that I could get for $.50 cents each! I would fill grocery bags with books! I didn't care if they were used because I was saving so much money. :o)

Amy C said...

Hey Msm, we have a UBS about 30 minutes up the road. I told my mom we should have just went there. But then the drive was very pretty so it was still worth it and we had lunch at a little pizza shop on the Main St. So it still turned out to be a nice outing. But like you said maybe they are "romance trashers".

50 cents a book? You can't beat that!

Blodeuedd said...

I understand why our store doesn't have one section, mostly cos they don't buy in those books. But how on earth would anyone find them when they can be anywhere.

Nicest thing ever, going to a bigger city here and browsing and drooling over the awesome romance, and fantasy sections.

But I am glad you had fun

Anna said...

I have been to several Independent books stores and I have walked out of every one disappointed.

My experience was the same as yours. No Romance, what they had was mixed with general ficion.

Renee said...

Glad you had a nice day out with your mom, eventhough the bookstore didn't work out.

Miss Percy sounds good! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts after you read it.

Have a great day, Amy! :-)

Mandi said...

That is a bummer about that store. Boo!! ;)

Cecile said...

Oh Amy, I am sorry about the bookstore. Maybe if you had a word them, they could change their turn. What is a book store without a Romance section. I mean that is like a tire with no air, a chocolate chip cookie with no chocolate, lemonade with no lemons... what are they thinking. But I am glad that your day got you and your mom out the house!!!!

You are such a kind and loving friend. Thank you so much for including me in the contest section!!! You have been a wonderful friend!! I want you to know how much I appreciate you and your friendship!!!
I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow!