Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Broken by Megan Hart

Broken
by Megan Hart

Harlequin Spice
Visit Megan's Website here.
Click here for an Excerpt.

This month, my name is Mary.

My name is different every month -- Brandy, Honey, Amy...sometimes Joe doesn't even bother to ask -- but he never fails to arouse me with his body, his mouth, his touch, no matter what I'm called or where he picks me up. The sex is always amazing, always leaves me itching for more in those long weeks until I see him again.

My real name is Sadie, and once a month over lunch, Joe tells me about his latest conquest. But what Joe doesn't know is that, in my mind, I'm the star of every X-Rated one-night stand he has revealed to me, or that I'm practically obsessed with our imaginary sex life. I know it's wrong. I know my husband wouldn't understand. But I can't stop.

Not yet.

I've been pondering a few questions since I finished Broken. Did I love it? I don't know. Did I enjoy it? I don't know. Did it leave a mark? Hell Yes! There has only been one other book that affected me the way this one did, Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas. While they are not the same, in a way they are. They both deal with a family matter that is both intense and heart breaking. When I read Suzanne's Diary and I got to THE PART, I cried and cried. I had to stop reading so I could just cry. I thought of my family and what if? Did I love that book? I don't think so, when I really think on it. It's so sad and so tragic. It's the same with Broken. One event can change our lives forever.

I commend Megan Hart for stepping so far out of the box with Broken. She told a story that my husband and I have jokingly talked about. What would happen if he became bed-ridden. Of course we laugh, and I tell him, "Dude, you are on your own!" But what would I really do? I don't know. I wonder if I would be as strong as Sadie. Even though at times she feels like she's not because of her monthly meetings to hear Joe tell her a story. She still is a strong woman, and faithful to her husband, considering all that she's lost. Imagine never being touched, or held. No hugs. We all need that bit of contact from the one we love and have chosen to spend the rest of our lives with.When I'm having a bad day, my husband gives me a hug and for that little bit of time everything feels better. But what happens when that can't happen anymore? But the person is still there? You see them everyday, can talk to them everyday, but can't feel them touching you?

Broken was the second most intensely emotionally draining book I've read. I loved and hated it. I loved it for the amazing and brilliant writing. The execution of the story and how it was told was mind-blowing. As much as I was over-stimulated emotionally, I could not stop reading about Sadie and Joe and Adam. I wanted Sadie to have more in her life than what she's had the last four years, but to have that...well, I hated it. I hated what had to happen. It makes me want to cry all over again for her, for Adam, and even for Joe. My husband asked me if I liked the book when I finished and all I could say was that it was sad. Very sad.

I've read a few Megan Hart books, but this is my second Spice book, the first was Stranger. I thought Stranger was heart-breaking and emotional. But it's nothing compared to Broken. She is an incredibly talented writer. And Broken dealt with an issue that any one of us could face at any time in our lives. And whew, was I impacted. Would I recommend this book to some one? Absolutely. But don't think you are getting some warm fuzzy romance. Think gritty, disturbing, lumps-in-your-throat scenes. That's what you get in Broken. There is so much need and heart-ache felt between the three people involved, it can be utterly overwhelming to your senses.

I did not love this book. It's filled with too much tragedy and pain. But I felt every lonely ache that Sadie, Adam, and Joe felt. I respect the author, and this book. It's compelling, well-written and one hell of a journey into Sadie's life. And I will not hesitate to pick up another of Megan Hart's books! But I will be a bit reluctant to read another one any time soon. And I think that's a good thing. I think to be able to write like that, with such intensity, is a gift. An amazing talent.

So kudos to Megan Hart for writing such a provoking book as Broken!


22 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Hi Amy,
Hart does seem to write good books, there is always something else there. Dunno if it's for me though, it's just a book I would have to try to know

Mandi said...

Wow...quite a review. I have this book on my wishlist at pbs. I have heard similar reactions after reading this. I am very curious though...can't wait to try it!

azteclady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Book Junkie said...

I so loved Joe & Sadie's Story, this one made me cry.

Cecile said...

Oh Amy!!! Even though I read it myself and did my own review... after reading your's, I have the sniffals. This books was a very "hitting close to home book." I will say that I loved it because of that. It made us all step out of the box and out of our comfort zone... and just imagine. The story does pull at your heart and emotions. IT is a soul searching book, if you will. But it also proves that a woman ~ faced with anything ~ can still stand tall and strong. It is an emotional ride, I will say that. But one ~ for me ~ that was worth the ride. I hope you had a great day my friend!!!

azteclady said...

Sorry about that--it's what I get for having two windows open at the same time!

When a book has this strong an impact on you...

Thank you, Amy, for sharing your feelings on this book.

Lori said...

This is definitely one of those books that leaves an impact. Fantastic review, Amy!

Christine said...

Megan Hart sure has a way of pulling you into a story, often making you feel uncomfortable. But you're uncomfortable because you're torn. There is no right or wrong. She really makes you think. And usually cry, too.

Great review, Amy.

Amy C said...

Hi Blodeuedd,
If you do decide to read this one, be prepared for something different than the normal romance. It'll getcha!

Hi Mandi,
I hope your wait for this book isn't too long. This is one of those books that now that I've read it, I wnat to know everyone elses feelings about it.

Hi Book Junkie, I cried more in this one than I have in any one book, I think. Almost from the beginning. Thinking about how the book made me so emotional makes me love the book, but the reasons why I was so emotional makes me reconsider that love. It's not a bad thing though. It's a book I will never forget! And that's a good thing.

Amy C said...

Hey Cecile,
I read through your review this morning after I wrote mine up. I'd say we were affected differently yet the same. I'm still having a hard time getting past the tragedy Sadie and Adam suffered to enjoy the romance that was there. I didn't find much joy in it, but I did find it utterly compelling!

Hey azteclady,
Oh, that's okay!
This book definitely had a strong impact, without a doubt! I really am afraid to read another of her books, for fear that I'll just cry through the whole damn thing again and not even happy tears. I love books that can bring on a tear, but they are usually happy tears! These were not happy tears with this book!

Hi Lori,
Thanks! You were moved by this one too :).

Amy C said...

Hey Christine,
Have you read this one? I looked for a review, but couldn't find one.
Uncomfortable? Yes, that is a good word to describe the way you feel sometimes. I wanted Sadie to have something with Joe, but felt guilty becasue of Adam. And when tragedy struck toward the end, I was...happy? How sad is that? I think that's what has me so worked up. I was happy at that point for Sadie. Very uncomfortable feelings to have. But that just shows how talented Megan is. To feel so much from one book is just amazing!

Cybercliper said...

Hi Amy...your review was wonderful and I appreciate your candor. There is an imaginary line in my heart and mind - my emotional measuring stick if you will that I don't cross and I think this book would take it well out of bounds.

Christine said...

No, I haven't yet read Broken OR Dirty, but they are on my shelf. I also plan on buying and reading Deeper. Do you think you'll read more Megan Hart or are you undecided? I know you respect and admire her writing, but I also know they are difficult books for you because the are not so cut and dry when it comes to HEAs.

Amy C said...

Hi Cybercliper, I can't say I blame you for not wanting or rather not feeling comfortable crossing your line. She has one book that I've discussed with Christine that I won't read, Tempted. It crosses that line for me with the infidelity. I just can't bring myself to want to read that one :).

Christine, yes, I do plan on reading Dirty and Deeper. I have them both on my shelf. I hear Deeper isn't as intense as her previous ones. I'm really only undecided as to when I will pick one of those two up to read. It'll be awhile. Just like it was awhile that I finally read this one after reading Stranger! Providing none of her future books are like Tempted with that type of content, then I will likely always buy her books. I love that she can write like that and I wonder if she is as affected while she's writing as her readers are when they're reading?? You know?

Cecile said...

Hey Amy, you are right. It was a very compelling book. But I think that is one reason why she is an instant buy for me. No matter what her characters go through... I know it is something I can step back and say "that could happen to me"... With the expection of Deeper... but you will see what I mean when you read that one (*and I have yet to read Dirty). But, I love her books. This one was hard one to recover from. It took me a little while to want to read something else. There was heartache and tragic, but life is a lot like that. In some of my books, I don't want to think about my life, or real life... I want to dive into their world and ingest it for all its worth. But her books, your mind entertains the thoughts of our world with her world. And that is what makes her different from all others.
I am with you on wondering if she feels the same as we do while writing it.

Leontine said...

Hi Amy,
I recognized myself a bit in your review Amy :D I have read Tempted by Megan Hart and while I loved the story the ending is such a double edged sword for me I am also reluctant to pick up a second book by her hand and at the same time that ending doesn't let me go. I can still remember her characters from that book, what went on between them and the vivid emotions betwixed them all, that is indeed a gift to have as an author.

Amy C said...

Hi Leontine,
I am afraid to read Tempted. I really am. I mentioned that i had Christine tell me the ending and the lead up to it because I wasn't sure what exactly happens and the choice the heroine makes, just does not sit well with me. And as Christine said about feeling uncomfortable at times reading some of Megan's books, well, just discussing that one gives me that uncomfortable feeling! My husband thinks it's strange how I react sometimes to books. He says they are just stories. And he's right, but sometimes they seem so real. Or so real that you can put yourself in that situation. They can be pretty intense!

Kilina said...

Her stories are so popular and I haven't read a single one yet. I better get on it!

Amy C said...

Hi Kilina!

I hope you do try something of hers. She does get some intense feedback!

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

Excellent and honest review, I love the conflicted reviews!

It's true that when we read, we become part of the story. We join the hero or the heroine is their journey or adventure. It's what makes reading so much fun.

Whether it's a fantastic love story and we fall in love, an action/adventure/fantasy and we love the players through the action, or a mystery that needs to be solved, our psyche becomes part of story and we go along for the ride, until the next story comes along and then we catch that ride too.

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Erotic Horizon said...

I find Harts book to be a mood book for me...

Because she write such heart wrenching emotional tearing books - I have to be in the mood - or else I nit pick..

I however find her to be just head and shoulders above a whole lot of authors with her writing...

She is definitely an experience

E.H>

Amy C said...

Hi Dottie, absolutely! I love becoming part of the story. Others are easier to get drawn into than some and those are the ones that I think are the most emotional for me! I love your thoughts, Dottie :D.

Hi EH, we are of like minds when it comes to Megan Hart. I have to be in the right mood. And my sentiments exactly--an experience! Very heart-wrenching because she writes in a real-life way.