Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber

Leanna Renee Hieber
The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker
August 25, 2009

www.leannareneehieber.com

Percy Parker, quiet, timid, strange Percy Parker is accepted at Athens Academy to further her studies after spending her first eighteen years at a convent as an orphan when her mother died shortly after her birth. Normally at her age she would move on with her life, but Percy's looks and the oddities that surround her has held her back, as society shuns her, so too does she shun them. That is until she meets the mysterious Professor Alexi Rychman. The only man who has ever turned her insides upside down, and made her feel comfortable with her strange appearance, for Percy has pale-white skin, white hair and opal colored eyes. Often she's mistaken for a ghost due to her pale coloring.

Alexi Rychman is the leader of The Guard. Six men and women chosen 20 years ago to protect London from the supernatural forces that haunt it. Their Grand Work is to maintain the balance between this world and beyond. A prophecy was given them on that fateful night 20 years ago. A seventh would enter their group, completing them, allowing them to fight the Darkness that would seek to break the barriers between the two worlds. But they must be cautious, for impatience could prove to be their enemy if they do not heed the signs showing them who the true Prophecy is.

Oh my, I loved this book. I loved the characters, the sweet, thrilling romance between Alexi and Percy. The beautiful prose that sweep across every single page. Be prepared to be taken away to a London as you've not seen before, and characters so vivid they meld within your heart. Percy is one of the best heroines I've read in a long time. Her innocence and shyness were so refreshing. Yet underneath it all, there is still a strength inside Percy.

The plot unfolded at a pace that never felt slow or rushed and built the series arc to leave you hungry for the next book as the war that was prophesized looms. A unique and fascinating story arc it is too. It has a nice Gothic feel, and the Ghosts that wander here and there, and the spin on the Ripper! That was very cool. Not a major part of the story. The book focuses mainly on the Guard and Percy Parker, and the Prophecy, but I liked how that part of history was explained according to the rules of this world.

You know what one of the strangely beautiful things I loved about this book was? There were no sex scenes. But the longing that Alexi and Percy express and feel within themselves toward the other was just as good. It was potent and powerful and truly all that was needed in this strangely beautiful tale. With just the touch of a hand, or a smile, or the long gazes into one anothers eyes held so much power. For the two of them have always been so lonely those simple gestures felt like the earth moved.

I wonder what characters the next book is going to focus on? I'm thinking maybe Rebecca and Michael? Both are members of the Guard and there is something there, at least something within Michael that I would love to see explored! And Miss Rebecca could use some defrosting and warming up ;). Not that she's mean, just another lonely soul as was Alexi. As they all are, considering the lives they've lived for the past 20 years. The secrecy of who they are that they've had to maintain. This was most assuredly a fantastic book to start a new series! I sure hope that Miss Hieber gets all the praise she deserves for this book. Miss Percy Parker is truly a unique and strangely beautiful tale.

Without a doubt, a recommended read!!

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker...Is Strangely Beautiful! Look for this truly enchanting and hauntingly magnificent book on August 25, 2009!



Click
here to pre-order!
Book two in the Strangely Beautiful series is due to hit the shelves in May 2010!

Other books by Leanna Renee Hieber
(And you can believe this one will be on my e-reader soon!)

DARK NEST

Winner of the 2009 Prism Award for excellence in published works of Fantasy, Futuristic and Paranormal Romance in the Novella Category.

ISBN: 978-0-981601-5-1
Length: Novella
Publication Date: April 2008 - Crescent Moon Press

Chief Counsel Ariadne Corinth has just found out her long-time lover, the powerfully gifted Chief Counsel Kristov Haydn, has died. Newly evolved psychically gifted humans have been sent by the Homeworld on a space mission aboard two distinct “Nests”. Relationships between the Light Nest and the Dark Nest have faltered and Ariadne is sure there’s something insidious behind it. In a matter of hours, Ariadne must find out what really happened to Kristov, unite her people to discover vast new powers the Homeworld denied them, or else submit to genocide.


11 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Sounds like a good one :D
I am so very curious about this book. I am glad to hear you liked it

I hope the weekend is going well

Mandi said...

I am halfway through and loving this book! It is just so different.

Nice review..I am hoping to see more of Rebecca too :)

Donna (Fantasy Dreamer) said...

I'm reading this one right now, really enjoying it. It's been awhile since I've read a book during the Victorian period. Didn't realized that I'd missed it till now.

Amy C said...

Hey Blodeuedd, yes this weekend is going well. I think Devin and Brennan are spending nice time together. We all are! I have some pictures I'll post tomorrow with my mailbox post :).
I do hope you try Percy Parker! I really think you'd like it.

Hi Mandi,
Oh good! I'm glad you are really enjoying it! It is so different and I do love different! Hopefully we will get a more intimate look into Rebecca!

Hey Donna,
I'm happy to hear you are reading it too!! I love a victorian when it's set like this. I don't much get into the ton and all that fancy stuff! Eve Silver writes awesome Gothics too that I just can't get enough of!

I look forward to both you and Mandi's thoughts when you finish.

Patti said...

I'm hearing good things about this book - am adding to my TBR! Great review!

Lea said...

Lovely review Amy, this does sound like one to add to the list. I think you are quite correct, often the longing felt between the characters is enchanting in the narrative of a novel.

Thanks for sharing

Best
L

Leanna Renee Hieber said...

Amy,

Thank you SO much for this gorgeous review, I'm so touched and so thrilled. This book truly has been such a love-affair of mine, I'm so honored to have it captivate you.

And, my darling Rebecca fans, fear not, I do give her quite a bit of play in Book II. The sequel picks up exactly where the first leaves off, with Percy and Alexi still in focus as they figure out what the second half of prophecy is all about. Higher dangers, higher sensuality, and an all out spectral war on the grounds of Athens. (And our beloved Rebecca finally rouses to some hard earned but lovely truths...)

Thank you Amy and friends so very, very much!

Amy C said...

Leanna! Thank you so much for the book! It truly was an amazing story and I can't wait for the next one!! It sounds so good. I didn't even think that the second would still focus on Percy and Alexi. Which is wonderful, becasue I so loved reading their scenes together. I'm glad to hear that there will be more of Rebecca in the next one!

Thank you for all the info, Leanna!

okbolover said...

a romance book without exchanging body fluids!!!?? wow that's awesome! I hate those kinds of scenes! I'm definitely going to pick this one up! great review!

Amy C said...

Oh that's funny, okbolober! A romance without exchanging body fluids! As much as I love the exchange it is very nice when an author can write a romance and still have you feeling satisfied as with Percy Parker. I do love a good exchange of fluids, and sometimes find it disappointing when it's not there or as good as I hoped for :D.

I hope you do give this one a try though. It's very good and I'm dying for the second one! Which as Leanna commented, it's more of Percy and Alexi!

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

After Anna's review and your review, I can clearly see I must find this book.

Great review, the books sounds wonderful!

Next trip to the bookstore, I'll be picking this one up.

Dottie :)