Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What a Dragon Should Know by G.A. Aiken

WHAT A DRAGON SHOULD KNOW
by G.A. Aiken
Dragon Kin series Book 3

Series order -
Dragon Actually
About a Dragon

What a Dragon Should Know


Coming September 1, 2009

Click here for excerpt

Only for those I love would I traipse into the merciless Northlands to risk life, limb, and my exquisite beauty. But do they appreciate it? Do they say, "Gwenvael the Handsome, you are the best among us-the most loved of all dragons?" No! For centuries my family has refused to acknowledge my magnificence as well as my innate humility. Yet for them, and because I am so chivalrous, I will brave the worst this land has to offer.

So here I stand, waiting to broker an alliance with the one the Northlanders call The Beast. A being so fearful, the greatest warriors will only whisper its name. Yet I, Gwenvael, will courageously face down this terrifying…woman? It turns out the Beast, a.k.a. Dagmar Reinholdt, is a woman-one with steel-gray eyes and a shocking disregard for my good looks. Beneath her plain robes and prim spectacles lies a sensual creature waiting to be unleashed. Who better than a dragon to thaw out that icy demeanor?

And who better than a beast to finally tame a mighty dragon's heart?

If I knew what to say to make everyone go out and buy this series, I would say it. I love these characters. There is tons of humor, but it's not a lighthearted read! And the humor doesn't feel forced on you, like the author is trying to make it funny, it just is! It's all in the dialogue. The way the family of dragons treat each other and the humans that are lucky enough to have found their way into the horde treat them and are treated. It's a family structure like you've never seen before! Oh the violence :). But what do you expect when they are all a bunch of dragons!

I would recommend the first two books be read before this one. There are several things that carried over from the previous books, but it's the characters you don't want to miss out on. Annwyl and Feargus from Dragon Actually and then Briec and Talaith from About a Dragon! And the secondary charcters from those two books, all played roles in What a Dragon Should Know.

What a Dragon Should Know made me laugh and even weepy-eyed. It was a well rounded story with a healthy dose of everything that makes a book a good one. Not a good one, but a great one--a memorable one. Awesome plot with unexpected twists and turns. Fantastic character development. And a wonderful romance.

There is no brooding male in What a Dragon Should Know. Oh no, just an arrogant and handsome dragon. But he does attempt to brood in order to woo his woman. Oh jeez, I am laughing just recalling that scene. Too freakin funny. How bout I just give you part of the scene...
Dagmar tried to stand, and Gwenvael caught her hand, pulling her back down. "You can't leave me. I'm tortured and brooding. You need to show me how much you adore me so I can learn ot love myslef again."

"You've never stopped loving yourself."

"Because I'm amazing."

She yanked her hand away, but Gwenvael simply caught it again and dragged her until she was on top of him.

"Let me go!"

"Not until you kiss away the torturous brooding."

"I'm not kissing away anything." Dagmar froze. "And move your hands, sir."

"But they are warm and comfortable where they are."
Hmmm, and where could those wondering hands of his be? That whole scene was simply priceless. I love Gwenvael. He has so many quotable scenes. He is one of my most favorite characters. He may have an arrogant streak, but there is a side to him that is serious and wants more than what his family gives him credit for. And Dagmar is perfect for him!

This book goes back and forth between Dagmar and Gwenvael and all the other characters from the previous two books, expanding their characters further. And at no time did I wish the story would just stay with the h/h. Oh no, I wanted all the other characters too. Because each of them have such a unique personality, well, they all seem to be a bit violent and snarky and just plain fun, that I wanted them just as much as the h/h.

I loved the first two books in the Dragon Kin series, but this third one totally had me captivated, but I don't think it would have had me so enthralled had I not already known the characters from the first two books. You're not just getting two characters. All of them seem to come to life, making their presence known and even anticipated.

What a Dragon Should Know has, without a doubt, earned a spot in my top ten books! Definitely a 5 star book!

Stay tuned! Tomorrow, G.A. Aiken will be here! She answered a few questions for me and will be giving away a copy of What A Dragon Should Know! (And the giveaway is open worldwide!)

www.gaaiken.com

Buy here.


13 comments:

Cherry said...

aha... I will wait my chance to get my hands on Gwenvael, este, WHAT A DRAGON SHOULD KNOW, I mean. Instead of buying now. :)

See you tomorrow Am!

Donna (Fantasy Dreamer) said...

I have the first two books in this series, need to read them!

Eva S said...

Great!! Now I'll have to hurry to get the second book! (And read the first one!)

Leontine said...

I drive everybody freaking nuts but I have given my sis a b-day list with all these fabulous authors. G.A. Aiken is one of them and Amy, you whet my appitite for them!!

My inner child is counting the days.

Michelle G said...

Amy,

I have not read this author - but I have this series on my wish list. :)

M

Blodeuedd said...

hi Amy,
Tears and laughter, sounds like a nice mix. I have actually never read anything about dragons, and I do like them

Looking forward to hearing more

Tracy said...

Oh I really need to pull out book 2 and read it. Maybe that will be challenge read for this week. Thank Amy - you've made my decision for me! lol

This one looks good too.

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

Adding to my wish list, sounds wonderful and can't wait to take a peek!

I'll be back tomorrow to visit with the author Amy!

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

Thanks, Cherry! I take it you've read the first two? You are going to love Gwenvael's book!! He's too much. He'll crack you up!

Hi Donna,
Oh you need to read them! :P They are so good!

Yes, Eva! Read the first one. I just don't see how anyone could be disappointed. Honestly!!

Oh Leontine! You sure gave one heck of a list for birthday books! It would be so nice if these ones were ones you got!

Hey Michelle, may your wish be granted soon! This is a really awesome series. My favorite Dragons ever!

Blodeuedd! These books would definitely be my first recommendation for a good Dragon series. Next would be Jade Lee's Dragons. Those are more series. These ones will make you laugh or at least chuckle!

Hey Tracy! I hope you do read the second one for your challenge! I'd love to read your thoughts.

Thank you, Dottie! I'll see you tomorrow then! You will like these books too! I think everyone would though :)!

Mandi said...

Great review!! I have heard such good things about this series. I really need to get to them!!

Renee said...

Sounds like a fun read, Amy! I'll look forward to the interview. :-)

ecfromdc said...

Right now I am re-reading every G.A. Aiken and Shelly Laurenston book. Right before one of her books come out I read everything again and I never get tired of the stories or the characters. I love the fact that this author always has a story coming out, like the three coming out within the next 3 months. I love to pre-order her books from the bookstore because most times I get it before everyone else!!! This author rocks with her shapeshifter stories. I remember reading Shelly Laurenston when she was just e-books, and I admit I was fearful to hear she was publishing in paper, some authors don't make the crossover for me but she does every time!!!!!! IF you have not read her and love passion and humor on every page I she is the ultimate.

GwenK said...

I have every book Shelly/G.A. has written and love them all. I can't wait to read the new one.