Monday, September 21, 2009

Review - Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs


Cry Wolf
by Patricia Briggs
July 2008
(Alpha and Omega Book One)

Over the course of a few years now I've seen the Mercy Thompson books and watched as each new book released and read how much loved the series is. When I saw that there was a new series which spawned from that one, I thought I'd finally give it a try. I bought Cry Wolf and it sat on my shelf for over a year! I was recommended to read Alpha and Omega in the Anthology On the Prowl. I did and I would recommend it now too. Cry Wolf opens immediately after the events of the novella. But I do think there is enough information given over the course of Cry Wolf to fill you in on what did transpire in the novella, that if you chose not to read, you'd be okay.

I did really love Cry Wolf. The events and the world building flowed seamlessly. Not being familiar with the Mercy Thompson books yet, I wondered if I would feel lost with the world and the rules, so I was pleased that Patricia Briggs did a wonderful job building the world in a way that wouldn't feel redundant to the Mercy fans or confusing for the first timers to this world of werewolves, witches, magic and apparently Fae and Vampires!

Cry Wolf is fluent and page-turning, with rich characters. Anna and Charles were a pleasure to read about, as Anna learns to trust Charles after the brutality she suffered in her original pack. I look forward to reading the next book, Hunting Ground, as well as reading the Mercy Thompson books too!

Funny thing, I picked up Moon Called, and my husband took a liking to it and he's reading it! He had no intentions of reading it. He read through the first couple pages and was instantly attracted to Ms. Brigg's writing voice. I love when that happens to me, and even more so to see my husband WILLINGLY read something of mine :)!

5 Stars!


14 comments:

Lea said...

Hi Amy!

Great to see your post!! Hope all is well with you. ;)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with respect to "Cry Wolf". I have the "Mercy Thompson", series in my stacks and man, I have to get to it soon. Nice to hear Shawn liked it.

Take Care
L

Patti said...

I enjoyed On the Prowl and am reading Hunting Ground now, I did not read Alpha and Omega - I'll have to look for it.

My husband read the Mercy series and liked it - periodically he'll ask if the new one has come out yet. I gave him On the Prowl yesterday!

Blodeuedd said...

Lol that is so cool, if I only could my man to read something, he did think the steampunk novel sounded cool...but too much romance for his taste I guess

Blanche said...

Hi Amy!

Great review! I've not read any of the books in this series. I've heard a lot about them though....all good things! Very nice cover too!! :)

Amy C said...

Hi Lea,
I was surprised to see Shawn want to read it. I'll have to read it when he's finished, then he and I can talk about it! That'll be a first for us :).

Hi Patti,
That is awesome that your husband read and is reading the Mercy books! Hopefully he'll like the Alpha and Omega books too.

Hi Blodeuedd,
I tried to get Shawn to read Clockwork Heart, thinking maybe he might like the Steampunk. He read a few pages and said NO! I don't think he cares much for fantasy. Maybe you should offer him the Mercy books too? Patti's husband likes them also!

Hi Blanche,
I love the covers on her books! ALL of them are very appealing and even her other fantasy books have been re-released with nice new covers!

Christine said...

Oh that is so super cool that your husband is reading MOON CALLED. I'm so impressed. I can't wait to hear how he likes it. You can tell him that Briggs' story telling in the Mercy Thompson series just gets better and better with each release. I think part of that is that the reader comes to understand the world more and the politics between the different factions (humans, wolves, vampires, fae, witches, etc... ).

Cecile said...

So wonderful to see you Amy!
I am glad that you are liking this series... And Go Shawn for reading it too!! Yea... if I could get hubby to read... It would snow in July down here!! LMAO!!!
But I am very glad to see that you like it! I love me some Charles! All that Alpha in one man... Yum-me!
I hope all is well my dear friend!

Erotic Horizon said...

AMY.... lovely to hear your voice..

Hope all is well my dear with you and your family...

I am grinning like crazy now that you have gotten your legs wet with Briggs work...

I knew you would love it - The world building is great and I never tire of how she sets up the twist and the turns..


Can't wait to see what you think of Hunting Ground...

P.S. - I am getting the impression that her other series is right up there with boys & their toys, quite a lot of my male friend absolutely love this series..


Enjoy the week my dear..

E.H>

Anna said...

Glad to hear you enjoyed Cry Wolf. Hope you loved Moon Called as much as I did. :)

Amy C said...

Hi Christine,
I'll be sure to let you know his thoughts :)!

Hi Cecile! It's nice to see you too :). Yeah, I was quite surprised when he laid down in bed with the book. He originally only planned on reading the first page or so, just to see, and it turned into two, then three and before he knew it, he decided to just read the whole thing!

Hi E.H.
Lovely to see you too :).
I have actually read two other of her books. Raven's Shadow I read years ago and then a few years ago I read When Demons Walk. I have a couple of her other fantasies to read too. I guess I stayed away from the Mercy books because they're labeled UF, and I don't get into the whole kick-ass heroine types, but I guess Mercy isn't like that.

Hi Anna!
I'm looking forward to reading Moon Called as soon as he's finished :).

Mandi said...

I think Moon Called is a great book for guys to read. I tried to get my hubby to read it but he won't :( It is one of my all time fav books!

I enjoyed Cry Wolf - I think Hunting Ground the next in the series is better.

She does do a great job with blending the world building in.

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

I've missed your posts!

Another great review! I haven't read anything by this author yet, but you make it sound so good, I just I have another to add!

Kevin will only read books that teach you something, lol, I get so bored with those types of books. We don't share any of our books, I would go out of my mind.

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

Hi Mandi,
I forgot to mention that one of the other things that grabbed my husband's attention to Mercy was the fact that she's a mechanic! Him being an engine guy, he could relate to the shop and all that from building motors in the garage. And he has a friend that runs a shop where he is the only one there, and I guess Mercy comments that it's hard to run a shop being the only one there, trying to answer the phone, wiat on customers and fix vehicles. His friend has that same problem.

Hey Dottie,
Shawn likes to read stuff like your Kevin too. He likes physics and stuff. I just don't think I'm smart enough, or my brain works differently than his does, because I just don't understand...LOL! It goes in one ear and right out the other :).

Casse AKA Catholic Kittie said...

I am so happy you enjoyed reading one of my favorite writers and spin off from my favorite series. You are going to love Mercy.