Monday, September 21, 2009

Review - Pleasure and Purpose by Megan Hart

Pleasure and Purpose
by Megan Hart
September 2009

Set in a vague fantasy world, Pleasure and Purpose consists of three novellas. Each of them centered around a member of the Order of Solace. A place where women are trained to bring a person to complete solace. According to their religious beliefs, each time they bring a person to complete solace another arrow fills the quiver, bringing the Holy Family one step closer to returning to the land once again.

Pleasure and Purpose is based around three friends. For years they've been the best of boon companions, enjoying the sins of the flesh, indulging in drink and drugs, but then tragedy strikes and their lives are forever changed.

In the first novella, Stillness is sent to Edward. Guilt has been riding him for years since the night of the terrible accident. He hopes to find solace with her, and who better than the handmaiden called Stillness to still the guilt that has consumed him. This one was the hottest of the three. A little menage action in this one.

The second is Honesty. Honesty is requested by the Prince, Cillian. He has seen what the handmaiden Stillness did for his estranged friend Edward and wants that too. Because within him lies pain from the loss of his friend as well as the unfortunate event years ago. He is spoiled, and with Honesty she opens his eyes, causing him to be honest with himself and to see that his way of life isn't what he truly wants.

The handmaiden Determinata is requested by both Edward and Cillian for their lost friend Alaric. He wasn't directly affected by the event that took place years ago with Cillian and Edward, but indirectly, he's been affected. Now a woman has caused him to hit rock bottom, but with the help of one very determined handmaiden named Determinata, Alaric is soon on his way to recovery and acceptance of himself. You see Alaric is Submissive and Mina is a Dominant, and together they are perfect!

I loved the way this book was put together. Even though it was three novellas, it felt like one story with three happily ever afters. You can't get much better than that! I've read a few of Megan Hart's Spice books, and I find them to be extremely emotional, but Pleasure and Purpose did not have that intensity. Which was perfect because it allows you to enjoy the eroticism that fills nearly every page! The emotional level may be turned down in this one, but the heat level is near scorching.

I am very much looking forward to reading No Greater Pleasure next month!

5 Stars!


7 comments:

Lea said...

Wow!

You are on a roll Amy! Lovely succinct review.

This sounds like a beautiful story and I like that all three of the novellas end in a nice HEA. I also enjoy when the stories interconnect.

Thanks Amy!

L

Blodeuedd said...

You have got some nice reading done :)
Nice to see you btw.
I hope you're having a good time over at your corner of the world

Christine said...

You know I just love Megan Hart... I'm so thrilled to see both you and Anna give this 5 stars. I hope to buy it soon.

Erotic Horizon said...

I associate Hart with this intense emotional roller coaster - so it odd to hear she has another voice that is just plain erotic...

The book sound goods - I will read it eventually, just need to read some of the not so shinny books from the TBR mountain first..

E.H>

Amy C said...

Thanks, Lea. I actually have a few more reviews to post. I thought I wouldn't but then thought, what the heck! This is one of the reasons I have my blog, to post my reviews. No point in letting them pile up.

Hi Blodeuedd, it's nice to see you too! It has been quite here in my corner of the world now that school has started back for both my boys. Hope it's all well with you too :).

Hi Christine,
this is a really good one. I think you'd like it :). She does writes some hot stuff!

Hi E.H.,
You know, I was wondering if this one would have the strong emotions like her Spice books and was surprised (in a good way) that it didn't. I think having three different stories helped to lessen that, not enough time to really focus and dig on each relationship. But that didn't make it any less enjoyable. I loved it!

I did read her first book, An Exaltation of Larks. It's fantasy and isn't emotional either. I did enjoy it! I have the next book after that one to read still.

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

Great review! This one like a keeper! I hate to add to my TBR, but these last to books just sound too good to pass up.

I love how the stories interconnected!

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

Hi Dottie,
I totally understand. And I have done really good this past few months keeping my book buying down. This one is a keeper! I think anything by Megan Hart is a keeper!