Monday, October 26, 2009

I'm a Wife, a Mom, and now...


An Employee!


I am, as of yesterday, officially employed! It's been a bit difficult to get here, especially mentally. Twelve years of being a full-time homemaker has made the task an uneasy one, but I am so proud and happy to know that I will be helping out now. With my husband having lost his job and now in school for the last year, we've had to sacrifice here and there. But it's mom to the rescue! HAHA! I know, I'm a little selfish, in that I would rather continue to stay at home and do what I've been doing, but I know it's time for me to take on some more responsibilities. I've never had to earn money to help out, so it'll be very nice and rewarding. I'm pretty psyched.

So, where did I finally get a job??


At Borders! Well, I'm an employee of Borders anyway, but I won't actually be in the store. That's one of two downsides. I'll be in the Calender kiosk in the mall. And it's only temporary, that would be the other downside. So I have a job until February anyway. But it's a job, and it could potentially lead to a permanent position in the store, which is what I am hoping for, and I figure I at least have my foot in the door, you know. But on the upside, I get a discount off books!

I'm not sure yet when my first day is. I filled out all the paperwork yesterday and my name is on the schedule, but no days were marked. I have to call the lovely lady today and see what she has planned :).

I've posted previously about my situation regarding working and you all have been so unbelievably awesome and encouraging. For some people to be social is like second nature to them, but for me, it's not so easy. I really have to work at it. So I think working and being around different people regularly will benefit and help that side of me.

So that's what's new with me :). And I'm still diggin country music! HA! Oh, but I did discover last night that Breaking Benjamin has a new CD out. I must get that! I just love that guy's voice. It does things inside me, you know that tingly feeling *wink*. MUST. HAVE. NEW. BREAKING BENJAMIN. CD!


So anything new with you?


29 comments:

Cecile said...

Hey Amy!!! Counting down the days till your birthday honey!!!!! Love ya!!! And I am so excited that you got a job... at none other than... Borders! That is great! And yes, us women always pick up the slack (nothing wrong with being a little selfish every now and then). I am happy for you honey. And hope and pray like that crazy that you get in that door and a full time position at the store!

Well, I have survived the weekend of a Sweet 16 yr old party (which went great) and I am now officially a mother of a 16 yr old daughter. Whew... A little week of rest... and another party to go!
Yay for our birthdays!!!!

Elizabeth Jules Mason (AKA "MsMoonlight") said...

Congrats on your new job Amy, that's wonderful!! And what a great company to work for!! I hope you love it and that it leads to the job you want in a Borders store. Best wishes Amy!!!

:o)

MsM

moonduster said...

Congratulations on your new job! And yay for Borders! The Borders in our town recently closed up, and I miss it.

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy! *throwing confetti*

YAY!!! I knew you'd get the job, who else could have been the perfect match, and a discount on books (I love fringe benefits)!! Congrats and I hope it leads to a permanent position. We only have a mini Borders store in our area, but it's the only bookstore outside of Champaign (which is a bit of a drive at an hour away).

What a cool birthday present!! Wishing you tons of luck and it should be a job you'll love!

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Michelle G said...

Amy,

Good for you!!! It is so hard in the economy to find a job. Best of luck to you on the wonderful opportunity - here's hoping it turns in to a full time position. :)

M

azteclady said...

((((Amy))))

Huge congrats and best wishes--may you get what you desire, come February!


(And I know you'll be brilliant with people, even if you feel it doesn't come naturally to you)

Wendy said...

Weeeeeeeeee! Congrats on the new job!

Blodeuedd said...

Hi Amy :D
Congrats on the job, Borders would be lovely. You all have made me drool so much over it that if I ever visit the US the first thing I will do is to go to Borders.

I hope it turns out great!

New with me, not much really, reading as always, uni will start up soon again, eek.

Julie at Outlandish Dreaming said...

Amy, that is great news! And a bookstore (well, sort of!) no less! I was just thinking the other day how much I'd love to work in a bookstore! I hope it become perm. for you after February - I'm very happy for you! Congratulations!

Patti said...

Wonderful news! Borders seems to be a good company to work for - I hope you get into the store when the time comes. Congratulations and Good luck!

Amy C said...

Thank you all so much! I'm sure you can imagine how much it means to me to read your comments. I did find out a little while ago that I am on schedule TODAY! I go in at 1 to 4. My first day and I'm just a wee bit nervous :).

Cecile! Yes, only a few more days before our birthday :)! So cool to share that day with you!

Oh Blodeuedd, no Borders? :(. Definitely make a stop at one if you ever come over here for a visit! I love Borders over B&N! They have the best sales :).

Thank you all again for stopping by :).

Leontine said...

Hi Amy,
Congrat on your ab-fab new job!!!! You can actually say you work at Border...so uber kewl IMO :) Try to enjoy the experience and let us know how you fare!

Stacy~ said...

That's awesome Amy! I hope you enjoy your job. I know you'll be great at it, loving books as much as you do. Have fun!

Anna said...

Congrats on the job at Borders! I hope everything works out well and they bring you permanently. ((hugs))

Christine said...

Congrats on the job, Amy! I have confidence you can do the social part just fine. Just pretend everyone who comes by the kiosk is a romance or fantasy reader and you'll be a natural. ;)

Other than that, just keep this one word in the back of your mind at all times ....

D I S C O U N T !!!!!!

Eva S said...

Wonderful news!! I'm so happy for you, I hope you'll be in the store soon.

Renee said...

Congrats, Amy! Talk about a great fit job-wise. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that pretty soon you'll be in the store.

Gotta love that employee discount! :-)

((Amy))

Allison('s)Reads said...

Amy! Very happy and excited for you. Hope you enjoy your work... sounds like a perfect fit!

JennJ said...

WOOHOOOO congrats on the new job hon that is wonderful!!!!! And a discount on the books too cool talk about great perks! :) LOVE Breaking Benjamin you will really enjoy it! :)

nath said...

Congrats Amy!! Yay!! and LOL, great place to be employed :D

Kris said...

Congrats on the new job, don't spend all your earnings with your discount. I love Borders!

Mary G said...

Congrats Amy. You'll be great. With all your knowledge they'll be lucky to have you. WTG.

Donna [Fantasy Dreamer's Ramblings] said...

Congratulations! That would be wonderful if you were hired into the store. I bet once they realize that your a fountain of knowledge in the book department, you'll be a shoe in.

*fingers crossed for you*

I Heart Book Gossip said...

Eeek how exciting Amy! Keep us posted on the job.

You can do it!!

Ps, I love the picture on the sidebar, do you know where I can get it? Can you be so kind as to send it to me? I love it :)

-I heart book gossip

host said...

Congratulations on your new job!!!
And happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!

Erotic Horizon said...

Hey girl....

Congrats on your job and I am keeping my fingers cross for you for next year you have a permanent place there....

All the best...

Hope your reading is going well...

E.h>

Tracy said...

Congrats on the job! Yay!

LOVE Breaking Benjamin!

Amy C said...

Thanks, Tracy!

And I got that new Breaking Benjamin CD from my DH for my b-day! He does listen to me :).

Blogger said...

Get daily ideas and instructions for making THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per day FROM HOME for FREE.
SUBSCRIBE NOW