Friday, November 27, 2009

Goddess of the Hunt, Surrender of a Siren, and A Lady of Persuasion by Tessa Dare

This is a rather long post. It's my reviews of all three books by Tessa Dare. I figure I'd just post them all together, since the books are the continuation of characters. This is such a lovely trilogy! Most especially the second book, Surrender of a Siren. But as a whole, I loved it! Tessa Dare is an amazing writer, and I look forward to her next trilogy coming out next year (even though it's not my normal historical setting). She simply has a way with words that I love reading!

Goddes
s of the Hunt
Book One
July 28, 2009

Lucy and Jeremy

I read this book based on the recommendations of my lovely friend Christine. This time period usually isn't what I choose to read for Historical romances, but I am so glad that I did. Jeremy and Lucy were so very fun and entertaining.

Lucy is on a hunt to capture the one man she has 'loved' nearly her entire life. She fears that if she doens't act soon, then this love of hers, Toby, is going to propose to another woman, Sophia. So Lucy sneaks away to the bedroom of a long time friend, Jeremy, one night and seeks out practice at seduction. Now this is a man Lucy has forever ribbed and taunted, trying for eight years to get under his skin. That night soon leads to Jeremy acting the besotted fool toward Lucy in an attempt to make Toby jealous. However, Jeremy claims to be doing it to protect Lucy from making a fool of herself, but what neither of them realize, is love really is blooming, just not where either of them ever expected!

There were some truly lovely scenes in this book. Some will make you laugh, some will make you want to yell at Lucy to grow up, and others will make your palms sweaty from the heat that generates between Lucy and Jeremy. Tessa Dare has some amazing prose. Several places I marked to go back to reread through. Several paragraphs that just left you breathless.

I enjoyed this book so much that I bought the second, which is Sophia's book and third, which is Toby's book. Both are characters that I enjoyed reading, especially Sophia. Even though she was a rival to Lucy in this book, you couldn't help but like her!


Surrender of a Siren
Book Two
August 25, 2009

Sophia and Gray

Sophia Hathoway, a beautiful London society miss, flees her family and betrothed mere days before her wedding. Seeking passage aboard the Aphrodite under the guise of a governess, Sophia longs to feel passion. She's tired of being treated like the prim, proper and innocent young woman she was raised to be. For deep inside Sophia resides a yearning for passion and the sweet seduction of a man. Aboard the Aphrodite, Sophia is swept away on the grandest adventure her heart could ever desire!

Gray swore that he would turn over a new leaf, becoming a respectable man in societies eyes, but most importantly in the eyes of his brother Joss, who happens to be the captain of the Aphrodite.In the past Gray has done things that's shamed him, and he's ready to start anew in an attempt to make up for his selfishness. But he never anticipated the beauty seeking passage aboard his ship. With her seductive innocence, Gray is left with a terrible ache for the woman known to him as Ms. Jane Turner. He never thought being respectable could be so hard.

Neither Gray nor Sophia expected the raging storm, sweeping them into a vortex of desire and yearnings the likes of which neither of them ever experienced.

The second book in Tessa Dare's trilogy, and I loved it more than the first one! Tessa Dare is simply amazing with her prose. Delightfully enchanting, her words connect seamlessly, creating wonderful characters and some very hot, very intense scenes. My favorite being the one that Gray pushes Sophia head first into her own raging passions during his sitting when she sketches him.What a breathtaking scene. It even brought a tear due to its intensity.

Surrender of a Siren ranks exceedingly high on my list of historical romances, and I'm left without any hesitation to pick up another of her books in the future. She's definitely made her place among my keeper shelf!


A Lady of Persuasion
Book Three
September 29, 2009

Isabel and Toby

After reading Goddess of the Hunt and Surrender of a Siren, I was eager to read this third in the trilogy about Bel and the poor jilted Toby. And what a wonderful set of books these are.

Toby's determined to gain some sort of revenge on the man who 'stole' his intended, the beautiful Sophia, and Bel is determined to find a man with decent political standings in order to become a 'lady of influence' among London society. There's no room in her life for love and desire, not with her goals for charity and helping the less fortunate. Yet Toby awakens within her a craving for passion that terrifies her.

Their marriage is nearly doomed from the beginning, for Toby promises things that he shouldn't, only to appease Bel in order for her to find him to be the one suitable husband she seeks. Each of them have their doubts of worthiness regarding their own significance to the other. I think Tessa Dare did an outstanding job formulating how Toby and Bel struggle with their issues and realize and come to terms with their shortcomings.

I wasn't sure what I thought of Bel in the beginning, with her rather 'holier than thou' attitude in her quiet and innocent sort of way. But over the course of the book, I began to understand and accept her behavior and beliefs. That's the one thing about how a person is shaped after tragic incidents in their past. You just don't know. Everyone deals with things differently and takes from them what they will, shaping them into who they will become. And with what Bel suffered with her mom, her father, and her brothers, well, I can understand how she would grow to want the things she does and fear the things she fears, such as desire and love.

I greatly enjoyed the conclusion of this trilogy with Bel and Toby. And I loved the way all three books tied into the other. Such wonderful characters. It was a pleasure spending more time with Lucy and Jeremy, and Sophia and Gray. And even the side story with Gray's and Bel's brother, Joss and Lucy's physician, Hetta. That was a sweet surprise and one I was very thankful to read!

A fine historical trilogy, one I would not hesitate recommending to others!



18 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Hi Amy,
Great reviews :D
I am very glad to hear that book 2 is even better, I did enjoy book 1, very sweet. And it sure got me curious about the rest

ErotRomReader said...

Thanks for the wonderful reviews, Amy! You made my wishlist a little bit longer again :)
And thanks for putting my place at your blog roll :D
Hope to see ya around!

The_Book_Queen said...

Wow! Thanks for the amazing reviews, Amy! I had not seen these books before, nor read any of this author's work, but after your reviews for the three, they're on my list now!

I'm especially looking forward to book two, specifically the heated scene where he sketches her. :D Sounds like these are keepers!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Enjoy,
TBQ

Marissa said...

I just ordered these books because of the many good things I heard about them! Great reviews, I am looking forward to read them too!

Donna [Fantasy Dreamer's Ramblings] said...

I really enjoying reading reviews where the reader enjoyed the books as much as you did with these books. Gives me a smile because I understand that kind of joy. :)

Have a nice weekend Amy!

Christine said...

Amy, I am so THRILLED that you read these upon my recommendation and that you loved them so much. I was completely awed by Tessa Dare's writing. The stories were wonderful in their plot and characterizations, but her writing.... so beautiful and mesmerizing. I was captivated by the author's voice and will definitely be reading her future works. I can't wait for next year's trilogy!

Cecile said...

Oh wow!!!!! Great review! So great... that I will be adding these to my list! And so awesome was the review of alll three... that you have made the debit card run and hide from me!!!!
LOL!!!
I hope you had a very blessed Thanksgiving my friend!
Have a great weekend!

Amy C said...

Hey Blodeuedd,
I hope you do read the other two. I liked that all the characters stayed through the books. I suppose not so much in the second book, but that's becasue Sophia is on a ship. But it is all still based from the first book. You remember Gervais? LOL He's in this second one too! :D

Hi ErotRomReader,
Thanks so much for stopping by. And I apologize for taking so long to reply! I've had to work early mornings the last few days. Kinda made me not want to do anything.
Anyway, you're welcome! And I'm glad they've sparked your interest and you added them to your wishlist!

Hey TBQ! How's it going? :)
You're welcome! Oh and I hope you like that scene in book two as much as I did! I'm so happy to hear you are going to try them also :).

Amy C said...

Hi Marissa,
Yay! I hope you like them too :)

Hi Donna,
Yes, I agree!
Now that it's Sunday, I think I can enjoy this weekend. I had to work on Black Friday. I was up at 3:30...UGH! And Saturday. I got to sleep in a little today, before my cat insisted she get food :).

Amy C said...

Oh and one more thing Donna, I ordered the first three books in the Legend of Drizzit series. Half price at the book depository!

Amy C said...

Hey Christine,
Yes, ma'am. I agree with everything you said. ANd I am also looking forward to her next trilogy! My mom just read the first one the other day so I pulled out my copy to remind myself of a few of the places I'd marked and I still LOVE the three paragraphs on page 284 :).

Hey Cecile!
I'm glad you enjoyed my reviews!
Oh no...the debit card is on the run!!

I did have a nice Thanksgiving. Thank you, Cecile. And I hope you did as well :D.

Donna [Fantasy Dreamer's Ramblings] said...

Oh Cool! I can't wait to see what you think of Drizzt! I swear he's my favorite dark elf. :)

Amy C said...

Donna, I plan on starting the first book as soon as I get them! Anna also is going to read these books too because of your post talking about them :). It's exciting when you know you've caused someone to buy a book they may not have otherwise bought :D.

ErotRomReader said...

Hi Amy,
Thanks for the welcome and for stopping by at my blog! You made me a happy woman! You'll see a lot more of me at your place, 'cause I love it :)

Eva S said...

Hi Amy,
thanks for the great review! I have the first book in my TBR-pile, guess I should read it.... Love some sweet historicals now and then!
I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

Great reviews, this is another new author for me. And I like you, read I read a historical, usually a different time period. But your reviews have spiked my interest, so I'll have to take a look for these.

Thanks for the recommendations!!

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

Hey ErotRomReader,
Thank You! And I'll be sure to stop by yours too :)

(you've made me a happy woman, too!)


Hey Eva,
Yes! I think you should pull it out for sure! I did have a very nice Thanksgiving :). I ate too much and then couldn't sleep and I had to get up at 4 am for work, but it was a great day!

Hey Dottie!
Thank you :). I do hope you give them a try. I did very much enjoy all three books.

Bebu said...

great review. just read Goddess of the Hunt. :D soon going to read all of them..