Monday, November 9, 2009

How I Pass Away The Hours...

Just thought I'd do a little update regarding my new job. It's, umm, quite boring :). I can't read. I can't sit. There is no computer to surf the net. I'm supposed to be doing nothing but smiling and saying hi and trying to sell calenders to those walking by. Well, that's easier said than done!

I had to get a little creative, since I'm not allowed to tote my purse down to the kiosk...not sure why...but that's okay...you see I had a note book in there. I thought maybe I could pass some of the time writing. I'm sure that wouldn't be allowed either, but I had to try :). I was fumbling around under the cash register and found some paper...rolls of register tape to be exact. And well, I used some of that to write on :).

The next day, because I didn't want to get in trouble for using that paper, since it wasn't mine, I took my own! I have this rectagular pad that hangs on the fridge and so I tore off some sheets and folded them nicely in my pocket. Sounds silly, but even though I'm only there for about 3 hours, I need something to to break up the monotony of my shift.

Today, I managed to write up most of a review, and then I thought, hmmm, maybe I could write a lits of the top ten books that come to mind that I've read this year. And this is the whole point of my post! In no particular order, just the order they popped in my head, here are the top ten books that stood out the most today while I worked! :)

1. Karen Ranney - A Scotsman in Love
(When the hero and heroine finally become intimate with their first kiss, it's a scene that sent those amazing tingly zings from my head to my toes! And it made me cry!)


2. Amanda McIntire - The Diary of Cozette
(Oh, I just loved reading about Cozette, and her sexual explorations and growth.)

3. Megan Hart - Broken
(Well, this one left me emotionally drained. Very intense reading for me.)


4. C.L. Wilson - Queen of Song and Souls
(Hmmm, CL Wilson! Need I say more :)?)


5. Pati Nagle - The Betrayal
(This one always stays with me becasue I think it's neat that the antagonists are worth rooting for just as much as the protagonists. And the antagonist is on the cover!)


6. Denise Rossetti - The Flame and The Shadow
(I really loved the element of Gray's Shadow. Very different and unique. Added a super touch!)


7. Eve Silver - Seduced by a Stranger
(Her books are always stored closely away. This one both fascinated and blew me away. I love her Gothic Historicals.)


8. Anne Bishop - The Shadow Queen
(It's Anne Bishop and I love anything the woman writes! And I'm always thinking about what is going to happen with Cassidy and Gray in the next book, Shalador's Lady.)


9. G.A. Aiken - What a Dragon Should Know
(If you haven't read this series, you should! Gwenvael is one of the best hero's I've read. He's just so funny!)


10. Leanna Renee Hieber - The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker
(Man, that is one mouthful of a title...But I love it! And I love the book. It's sweet, with a bit of a Gothic moodiness to it.)


What are a few books that come to mind right away of books you read this year?



16 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Awesome choices Amy :D

For me it is Guernsey, love that one.

And then there is YA: The Hunger Games, Uglies, and Poison Study.

That's four.
Then Soulless by Gail Carriger of course. Were love!

Mucho Caliente by Francesca Prescott, this years funniest book.

Angels' Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon cos he is remarkable.

Cleopatra's daughter by Michelle Moran, this years best historical.

And perhaps A darkness forged in fire by Chris Evans for best fantasy.

Lol, and On The Edge by llona Andrews for best PF/UF

yes made it into some sort of list cos this was fun :D

Christine said...

Oh my gosh, Amy... I'd be the same if I was stuck bored out of my mind, too! You should definitely keep a little memo pad in your pocket.

Let me see... my favorite reads of 2009 so far... in the order that I read them this year...

1. Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh
2. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen (YA)
3. Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews
4. The Chocolate Run by Dorothy Koomson
5. The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop
6. Knight of Desire by Margaret Mallory
7. The Goddess of the Hunt by Tessa Dare
8. Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles (YA)
9. Surrender of A Siren by Tessa Dare
10. Indiscreet by Carolyn Jewel (reading now)

I have a few honorable mentions, but then I'd go on and on and on ... ;)

Anna said...

Here are some of my favorite reads this year...

1. Pleasure and Purpose- Megan Hart
2. Dreamfever- Karen Marie Moning
3. Shiver- Maggie Stiefvater
4. Graceling- Kristin Cashore
5. Magic Strikes- Ilona Andrews
6. Receive Me Falling- Erika Robuck
7. The Hunger Games- Suzanne Collins
8. Mr. Darcy's Diary- Amanda Grange
9. To Seduce A Sinner- Elizabeth Hoyt
10. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society- Shaffer/Barrows

Amy C said...

I love reading your lists, you guys!

Blodeuedd, I love how you broke it down into categories. You and Anna both put the Guernsey book! I always forget about that one and I'm the one who sent the dang thing out on its journey. I think the book's at a stand still at the moment :(. Not sure what's going on. But it is definitely one of my top books for the year. It just didn't come to mind today is all! :).

Oh, Christine! I lurves ya! The Black jewels trilogy! Knight of Desire was really great. I love her covers!

Hey Anna,
Pleasure and Purpose was so good. Very erotic, eh? I love the concept of the Handmaidens and bringing solace.

Cecile said...

Oh Wow Amy, I would be bored stiff. I would be finding a way to sneak in some paper too!!! Great use of your time!! And I so love the list! OMG!!! And everyone else's too! Wow!
Well, let me see if I can tip my names in here and remember them all...
1. Broken - Megan Hart
2. The Vampire Queen's Servant - Joey Hill
3. Blood Magic & Soul Magic - Jennifer Lyon
4. Invisible - Kimber Chin
5. The Guernsey - Mary Ann Shaffer
6. Tortured - Amanda McIntyre
7. Addicted - Charlotte Featherstone
8. Stranger - Megan Hart
9. All of the Lord of the Underworld series - Gena Showalter
10. The Lord of Satyr's Series - Elizabeth Amber

There are so many more, but these I remember from memory (which I am not sure if that is good =meaning I can remember= or that is bad because I can not remember any other ones, lol).
I hope you had a great day Amy and I hope tomorrow will be better! If you work tomorrow... I hope people flock to you and your smile to buy buy buy calendars!

Amy C said...

Hey Cecile! Actually that was perfect. That's what I thought when I decided to do a list. To just see which ones popped in my head first. I figure that means those are the ones that hit me the most, the ones that will stick with me. Not that there aren't others that that I remember, but those ones I listed seemed to be the most memorable for one reason or other. It was fun to do it like that. Usually, I look over my list of books read and contemplate which ones to choose, which means I see all of them that I read. This way kinda made it more exciting to see would pop up first!

Ah, you got the Guernsey book too. Man, I can't believe that one didn't come to me earlier! But we both have Broken :).

And no, I'm off on Tuesdays! You know why? LOL Because new releases are on Tuesday and the lovely Jessica decided to have Tuesdays a fixed day off! She's so kind :).

Anna said...

Hi Amy,

I love the idea of the Handmaidens and the Order of Solace too. I recently finish book 2, No Greater Pleasure and loved it. I hope there will be more in this series.

Amy C said...

Hey Anna,
I enjoyed No Greater Pleasure also. Not so much as Pleasure and Purpose, but that's only because it was rather tame for a Megan Hart book :)! I was expecting it to have the erotic level as the first one. But it did cause me to cry at the end. Did you find it emotional with what happened during the house fire? It broke my heart. I wasn't expecting that. But otherwise, I liked and hope there will be more too.

Lea said...

(((Hugs))) Amy!

Ack, that does sound painful...
Hang in there my friend!

Okay, My choices would be:

1. Wicked Burn by Beth Kery, Hot and emotional

2. Passion Unleashed by Larissa Ione. Tortured hero - redeemed. Special romance.

3. Hard To Hold by Stephanie Tyler! Just a RUSH... Hot romance total thrill ride.

4. Daring Time by Beth Kery! Beautiful love story of a sweet couple who cannot be separated even by time.

5. Embracing Midnight by Devyn Quinn, Story of a love that endured even though the hero is an alien vampire. A HOT alien vampire!

6. Desire Unchained by Larissa Ione, What can I say, I have a list of favorite authors.

7. Riding on Instinct by Jaci Burton, I love her Wild Rider's stories. Romantic Suspense at it's best!

8. Sweet Restraint by Beth Kery: Given the opportunity, I would read Beth's grocery list and likely love it.

9. Just the Sexiest Man Alive by Julie James. Best Contemporary Romance I've read this year.

10. Man After Midnight by Devyn Quinn. - What can I say? I love certain author's work.

Hang in there Amy, hopefully it will get better as the Christmas season approaches.

Best
L

Donna [Fantasy Dreamer's Ramblings] said...

Great list Amy! For some reason these are all I could come up with for this year. I read The Black Jewels Trilogy in 2007, I think. Or it would on here. Probably because I should be asleep by now. :)

Mine in no order:
- The Fever Series by KMM
- Queen of Song and Souls by CL Wilson
- The Better Part of Darkness by Kelly Gay
- Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
- Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill
- Ravenous by Sharon Ashwood
- No Rest For the Wicked by Kresley Cole
- Eve of Darkness by S. J. Day

Blodeuedd said...

Perhaps cos it was read so long ago one forget about Guernsey, how sad cos was a great book. Luckily I am always reminded of it when I visit you. I am so happy i got to read it.

Oh I do love categories, and they just happened to fit in. Well not really since Soulless rocked UF/PF but then again it was so much more too

Erotic Horizon said...

Amy ...

I have to go whittle down my list with a very big knife and then come back...

..... mmmm

E.H>

I Heart Book Gossip said...

I read Broken this weekend also, it was emotionally draining and hard to swallow. I didn't like it much

I'll come back with my list.

Amy C said...

Hey Lea,
I plan on picking up Hard to Hold at the end of the month. I figure I like Sydney Croft quite a bit, I should try something by Stephanie Tyler and I've already tried Larissa Ione.

Hi Donna,
You've got some on your list that I've read, but I most especially liked Queen! I think that is one amazing series! Have you read The Shadow Queen yet?

Hey Blodeuedd,
You know, I tried reading Soulless when it first released but put it aside. I do plan on picking it up and trying again. I don't know, must not have been in the mood :).

Ha! E.H., you do have alot of books to pick from. You read way more than I do :). I do hope you do come back with a list of books!

Amy C said...

I heart Book Gossip,
My sentiments after I read Broken were the same as yours. I loved it and hated it. I explained it in my review. It's a really tough pill to swallow, the topic with her husband being a quadriplegic. I wanted Sadie to have some happiness in her life, but I hated how it happened in order for it to happen. It's one of those books I won't forget, considering my husband and I have jokingly had conversations about what I would do if something like that should ever happen to him. Of course I laugh, but you know, what would I do, and how would I handle it. I hope to never be in Sadie's predicament and hope that if I ever am, I'm strong enough. It's a crazy book for sure.

I do look forward to your list :).

Erotic Horizon said...

Ok - after much knife cutting here's mine....

1 - Surviving Love - Rebecca Vickery
2 - Love Means No Shame - Andrew Grey
3 - Cut and Run - Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban
4 - Fragile - Shiloh Walker
5 - Saving Tampa - Jo Webnar
6 - Faith & Fidelity - Tere Michaels
7 - Sealed with a Kiss - Mary Margeret Daughtridge
8 - Black Aura - Jaycee Clark
9 - The Long Way Home - Z.A. Maxfield
10 - Drawn Together - Z.A. Maxfield


Now I am thinking of doing a re-read - those were some wonderful books...

I am also writing down the list above - thanks guys for the recommendations...

E.H>