Monday, November 23, 2009

My Unfair Lady - Kathryne Kennedy

My Unfair Lady
by Kathryne Kennedy

December 1, 2009

www.kathrynekennedy.com

Born and raised in the infamous town of Tombstone, frontier lass Summer Lee is far from one of London’s gently breed society ladies. But London is where she is looking to hire a titled man to teach her the ways of ladies.

You see, after Summer’s father made a fortune doing this and that, he uprooted her to New York city where a handsome young man named Monte caught her fancy, and he’s asked her to marry him, but his family snubs their nose at her because of her lack of propriety. Summer’s not too suave when it comes to upper-class formalities.

So it’s off to London for some training. Lord Byron, Duke of Monchester finds himself filling that precarious position as his need for the money she offers overrides his better judgment.

Neither Byron nor Summer are looking for a love match. But after much time spent attending balls, and dinners and the occasional deal that may or may not include a kiss, as well as a dose of danger. Summer and Byron are finding it easy telling their heads nothing is happening between them. It’s trying to convince their hearts. That stubborn organ doesn’t appear to want to listen.

I enjoyed this book immensely. I’ve read Kathryne Kennedy’s Relics of Merlin series and while those are filled with magic, I felt that My Unfair Lady was filled with magic as well. Not in the paranormal sense, but in the writing. Ms. Kennedy weaved her characters together in such a way that you could feel Summer as her unconventional behavior penetrates Byron’s cold fa├žade, chipping away the layers to the true man beneath. And the love between them felt as accidental as it was meant to be. Another sweetly sensual tale weaved and brought to life by one of my favorite writers! However, I did grow a bit concerned with the continued motivation of Summer toward the end to continue carrying the pretense she wanted to be a lady for the sake of her vow to Monte. But all in all, it moved along swiftly. And I adored the secondary cast of ‘critters’. Most especially, India, the monkey!

The moral of this story...Be happy for being who you are. Don't change yourself for love or for social standings, love will find you. The right person will embrace you, stand beside you, and support you for being you. And that's what both Summer and Byron learn in this book. My Unfair Lady is a remarkable tale of love and acceptance.

More Reviews of My Unfair Lady-

Mandi @ Smexy Books
Marissa @
ROOB

Other books by Kathryne Kennedy:

The Relics of Merlin Series


10 comments:

Mandi said...

I just posted my review too :) I had big problems with Summer and tossing her feelings for Monte when she is physical with Byron, then when it was over going back to Monte. Summer and I did not get along. I did like Byron and Maria though :)

Amy C said...

Hi Mandi,
I just read through your review, and while I can understand your misgivings, I still thought My Unfair Lady was a fun read, even if Summer acted in ways that were not agreeable. I may have asked myself why a few times, but I never wanted to stop reading. So I figure that's worth a lot more than not understanding the actions of Summer. It's not that I didn't like her, but that I didn't understand. And as in life, there are a lot of people I don't understand!! LOL So I figure, why should reading be any different :)).

I liked My Unfair Lady! I thought it was sweet and fun, and I liked the overall meaning of the story...Don't be someone you're not, just to make someone else happy!

Mandi said...

Hi Amy!

I was getting so angry at Summer, it lessened my enjoyment of the book. However, I did like the fact that Byron ultimately didn't want her to change.

And good point about not understanding characters (or people..LOL) That is true - I didn't understand why she did what she did.

Everyone has really been recommending her Merlin series and I am definitely going to give that a try!

Blodeuedd said...

Hi Amy,
Great post, I remember reading about thsi one and thinking I wanted to read it. What a Western gal could do with the ton, interesting.

Christine said...

Hi Amy,
Wonderful review, as always. You've piqued my curiosity on this one ... and your conversation with Mandi here in the comments has increased it more so! I will be looking for this one on my next bookstore run... which was supposed to be today, but I don't have time. :( Maybe not till Friday! So sad.

Donna [Fantasy Dreamer's Ramblings] said...

Looks like a lovely read. Glad you enjoyed it, and I especially like when there is underlying messages in the storyline. Very good review. :)

Amy C said...

Hi Mandi,
You'll be reading her Relics of Merlin series soon ;)! They're light with a bit of seriousness to them that makes them not all wishy washy.

Hi Blodeuedd,
I'd never read anything like this one before, an American going to London like that. It made it interesting :).

Amy C said...

Hi Christine,
I'm glad we still piqued your curiosity! I hope you do give it a try and enjoy it too. I know I am very much enjoying your recommendation to read Tessa Dare. I'm on the last book now and really have loved her writing. Sometimes the characters act in odd ways but her writing makes up for it all!

Hi Donna,
Thanks :). I did like the meaning in this one and was happy to see that they both found ways to be who they are with each other!

kanishk said...

there are a lot of people I don't understand!! LOL So I figure, why should reading be any different.

Lingerie Access

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Excellent review Amy!

I can see you enjoyed this one, I really need to look into reading more historicals, I can't even imagine what goes into writing one.

Dottie :)

(word verification - paper ??)