Thursday, December 31, 2009

Books Read in 2009


Here is my list of books that I read in 2009! I started keeping track halfway through 2007, after seeing Anna keeping track of her monthly reads when I first met her on Myspace. I thought that was a great idea, so now I faithfully track every book and DNF book. I will never list my DNF's, just doesn't seem fair. I will say that I had 25 of them this year :(. That seems kind of high, but I figure I have so many books to read, there's no point in trying to read one that isn't meshing with me, right? I did read eight books less this year than last year. Not too bad!

~January~
1. Lara Adrian – Veil of Midnight
2. Denise Rossetti – The Flame and the Shadow*
3. Anna J. Evans – Captured
4. Anne Rainey – Burn
5. Sue-Ellen Welfonder – Bride For A Knight
6. G. A. Aiken – Dragon Actually
7. Jamie Hill – Truth or Dare
8. Susan Carroll – The Bride Finder*
9. Jean Johnson – The Song
10. Wen Spencer – A Brother’s Price
11. Foster, Castell, Monroe – Star Quality Anthology
12. Janet Chapman – Wedding the Highlander
13. R.F. Long – The Wolf’s Sister
14. Lisa Hendrix – Immortal Warrior
15. Gwen Hayes – Oh Goddess
16. Kally Jo Surbeck – Sudden Fall, Yadderwal book 1

Favorite book -
Dragon Actually by GA Aiken

Honorary mention -
The Flame and the Shadow by Denise Rossetti

~February~
1. Allison Chase – Dark Obsession*
2. Melissa Mayhue – A Highlander of her Own
3. Beth Kery – Wicked Burn
4. Eve Silver – Demon’s Hunger
5. Megan Hart – Stranger*
6. Kally Jo Surbeck – Whispered Promise, Yadderwal book 2
7. Lora Leigh – Coyote’s Mate*
8. R.G. Alexander – Not In Kansas
9. Megan Hart – An Exaltation of Larks
10. Janet Chapman – Only With A Highlander
11. Megan Hart – Layover
12. Anne Bishop – Tangled Webs
13. Robin Schone – The Lover
14. Jenna Maclaine – Grave Sins
15. Sarah Monette & Elizabeth Bear – A Companion to Wolves
16. Linda Winstead Jones – Bride by Command

Favorite book -
Dark Obsession by Allison Chase
Stranger by Megan Hart

Honorary Mention -
Bride by Command by Linda Winstead Jones (Love all her Columbyana books)

~March~
1. Catherine Kean – A Knight’s Temptation
2. Sue-Ellen Welfonder – Seducing a Scottish Bride
3. Amanda McIntyre – The Diary of Cozette*
4. Patricia Briggs – Raven’s Shadow
5. Megan Hart – This is What I Want
6. Amanda McIntyre – Mirror, Mirror
7. Jennifer St. Giles – Kiss of Darkness
8. Allison Chase – Dark Temptation*
9. Kinley MacGregor – Born in Sin
10. Janet Chapman – Secrets of the Highlander
11. Lora Leigh – Nauti Nights
12. Annaliese Evans – Night’s Rose
13. Jocelyn Saint James – Serenade the Moon
14. RG Alexander – Surrender Dorothy
15. Vivian Arend – Wolf Signs
16. Fiona Jayde – Booty Call
17. Amanda McIntyre & Isabo Kelly – Faery Song
18. Pamela Johnson – Unfinished Dreams

Favorite Book -
Diary of Cozette by Amanda McIntyre

Honorary Mention -
Dark Temptation by Allison Chase

~April~
1. Jade Lee – DragonBound*
2. Anna J. Evans – Risking it All
3. Donna Fletcher – Return of the Rogue*
4. Kathryne Kennedy – Double Enchantment
5. Karin Tabke – Master of Surrender*
6. G.A. Aiken – About A Dragon*
7. Donna Fletcher – Under the Highlander’s Spell*
8. Sherrilyn Kenyon – Fantasy Lover
9. Pati Nagle – The Betrayal
10. Virginia Kantra – Sea Lord
11. Dru Pagliassotti – Clockwork Heart
12. Elizabeth Vaughan – Dagger-Star
13. Amanda McIntyre – Risky Business
14. Karin Tabke – Master of Torment
15. Elysa Hendricks – The Sword and the Pen

April was a wonderful reading month. I have a few favorites!
Clockwork Heart by Dru Pagliassotti
About a Dragon by GA Aiken
The Betrayal by Pati Nagle

Honorary Mentions -
Master of Surrender and Master of Torment by Karin Tabke
Double Enchantment by Kathryne Kennedy
Dragonbound by Jade Lee

~May~
1. Michelle Sagara – Cast in Shadow
2. Sarah McCarty – Caine’s Reckoning
3. Kathryne Kennedy – Enchanting the Beast
4. Larissa Ione - Desire Unchained
5. Elizabeth Vaughan - Warprize
6. Colette Gale - Bound By Honor
7. Jennifer Ashley - The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie
8. Lisa Cooke - Texas Hold Him
9. Jo Davis - Under Fire
10. Helen Scott Taylor – The Magic Knot
11. Jamie Leigh Hansen – Cursed*
12. Donna Fletcher – The Angel and the Highlander
13. Elizabeth Vaughan – White Star
14. Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows – The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society* 15. Lisa Shearin – Armed and Magical
16. Sue-Ellen Welfonder - Devil in a Kilt
17. Janet Chapman - Moonlight Warrior
18. Anne Bishop - The Shadow Queen*

May proved to be another fantastic reading month! Again I have more than one favorite :).
Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
The Shadow Queen by Anne Bishop

Honorary Mentions -
Always anything by Janet Chapman is a hit with me and I have enjoyed Donna Fletcher's Sinclair Brothers series.
Cursed by Jamie Leigh Hansen
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie

~June~
1. Lilli Feisty - Bound to Please
2. Amanda McIntyre - Tortured
3. Rhian Cahill - One Night in Bangkok
4. Elizabeth Vaughan - Warsworn
5. Anne Bishop - The Invisible Ring
6. Elizabeth Vaughan - Warlord
7. Elizabeth Haydon - Rhapsody
8. Vivian Arend - Tidal Wave


Favorite Books -
Warsworn and Warlord by Elizabeth Vaughan

Honorary Mentions -
Bound to Please by Lillie Feisty
Tortured by Amanda McIntyre.

~July~
1. Karen Ranney - A Scotsman in Love
2. Josh Lanyon - Fatal Shadows
3. Josh Lanyon - A Dangerous Thing
4. Deidre Knight - Butterfly Tattoo
5. Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
6. G.A. Aiken - What a Dragon Should Know7. Morgan Howell - A Woman Worth Ten Coppers
8.Gail Dayton - New Blood
9. Shelly Laurenston - Pack Challenge
10. Karen Marie Moning - Darkfever
11. Kirsten Saell - The Chancellor's Bride
12. Karin Tabke - Master of Craving

Favorite Books -
A Scotsman in Love
What a Dragon Should Know by GA Aiken

Honorary Mentions -
Butterfly Tattoo by Deidre Knight (Emotionally engaging story!)
Master of Craving by Karin Tabke
New Blood by Gail Dayton

~August~
1. Lisa Marie Wilkinson - Fire at Midnight
2. Megan Hart - Broken
3. Leanna Renee Hieber - The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker
4. Morgan Howell - King's Property
5. Eve Silver - Seduced by a Stranger

Favorite Books -
The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber
Seduced by a Stranger by Eve Silver

Honorary Mention -
Broken by Megan Hart

~September~
1. Megan Hart - Pleasure and Purpose
2. Janet Chapman - The Man Must Marry
3. Gerri Russell - To Tempt a Knight
4. Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book
5. Megan Hart - Taking Care of Business
6. Erin Quinn - Haunting Beauty
7. Anna Destefano - Dark Legacy
8. Patricia Briggs - Cry Wolf
9. Sue-Ellen Welfonder - A Highlander's Temptation
10. Annaliese Evans - The Prince of Frogs
11. Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
12. Linnea Sinclair - Finders Keepers

Favorite Book -
The Man Must Marry by Janet Chapman

Honorary Mention -
Pleasure and Purpose by Megan Hart
Haunting Beauty by Erin Quinn

~October~
1. Margaret Mallory - Knight of Desire
2. Tessa Dare - Goddess of the Hunt
3. Charles de Lint - Yarrow
4. Shelly Laurenston - The Mane Event
5. Megan Hart - No Greater Pleasure
6. Sherrilyn Kenyon - Born of Night
7. Nalini Singh - Branded By Fire
8. Cindy Miles - MacGowan's Ghost
9. Ally Blue - Love, Like Ghosts
10. Ava March - Object of His Desire
11. Eden Bradley - The Seeking Kiss (Bk 1)
12. C.L. Wilson - Queen of Song and Souls

Another month with some fine reading.
Favorite Book -
Queen of Song and Souls by CL Wilson

Honorary Mentions -
Branded by Fire by Nalini Singh
Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Knight of Desire by Margaret Mallory

~November~
1. Janet Chapman - The Seductive Imposter
2. Cindy Miles - Highland Knight
3. Lois McMaster Bujold - The Sharing Knife: Beguilement(Book One)
4. Kathryne Kennedy - My Unfair Lady
5. Diana P. Francis - The Black Ship
6. Janet Chapman - A Highlander Christmas
7. Tessa Dare - Surrender of a Siren
8. Tessa Dare - A Lady of Persuasion

Favorite Book -
Surrender of a Siren by Tessa Dare

Honorary Mentions -
The Black Ship by Diana P. Francis
The Sharing Knife: Beguilement by Lois McMaster Bujold.

~December~
1. Karen Ranney - Sold to a Laird
2. Lois McMaster Bujold - The Sharing Knife: Legacy
3. R.A. Salvatore - Homeland (Drizzt Book One)
4. Janet Chapman - The Dangerous Protector
5. Rick Riordan - The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book One)
6. Jo Davis - Hidden Fire
7. R.A. Salvatore - Exile (Drizzt Book Two)

Favorite Books -
Sold to a Laird by Karen Ranney
Homeland by R.A. Salvatore.

Honorary Mention -
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Total Read - 147!


So there you have it. My 2009 reading list, broken down by monthly favorites. It's so hard to pick ten or twenty books overall, so I thought I'd do it by the month this year.

I'm excited about some of the releases for 2010. Some really great looking books, including a few new fantasy series. Such as L.J. McDonald's Sylph series and a new one by Carol Berg, starting with The Spirit Lens. And then a book that I, and a few others I know, have been long, long awaiting, the sequel to Lucy Monroe's Moon Awakening, Moon Craving. I'm so excited about this one.

What books are you MOST anticipating at this time for 2010?

Mine would be, Shalador's Lady by Anne Bishop, the next Percy Parker book by Leanna Renee Hieber, Moon Craving by Lucy Monroe. And of course, the final Tairen Soul book by CL Wilson, but I don't know when the release date is for that one. I hope it's in 2010! There are many others but those are top priority at the moment :)!

Here's to another fine year of reading!



15 comments:

Leontine said...

I'm toasting to that Amy! I have many the same authors I like forward to; C.L. Wilson, L.J. MacDonald,Lucy Monroe's Moon Awakening, Anne Bishop, Lauren Dane, Kresley Cole, Shayla Black - Delicious, Sophie Renwick - Velevet Haven, Lisa valdez - Patience.

A 147 books read, you've read 50 more then me 0-0

Mandi said...

Great list Amy!!

I can't wait for the next Tairen Soul either! I just read Lilli Feisty for the first time and can't wait for her next one. Plus JR Ward, Patricia Briggs, Karen Marie Moning.

Blodeuedd said...

Awesome books you have read this year Amy!
I hope the next year will be just as good.

Next year, well we will see that when we get there. But a least the last book of the Hunger games series

Dana said...

I love this idea! I've never tried keeping track before, I just kind of stick with my Google Calendar showing me the latest book releases - do you count books that you reread along the way?

And there are so many books I can't wait to read in 2010 that I'm not sure where to start! The Jim Butcher, Simon R. Green, Lora Leigh, Yasmine Galenorn - Christine Feehan! The list could go on forever!

Eva S said...

Great list! Many of your favorites are on my list too, no surprise!
I'm looking forward to many books by Nalini Singh, Christine Feehan, Lucy Monroe, Lora Leigh and many more. It will be a wonderful year...

Happy New Year to you and your family!

MsM said...

Wow you read a lot of books in 2009! Congrats!
I haven't read many of the authors you've listed, hopefully in 2010 they will become some of my 'new to me' authors.

Happy New Year Amy!!!

:o)

MsM

Silver @ The Raving Readers said...

Wow, that's a lot of books! I can't wait for the next Tairen Soul either, and I've gotten a lot of recommendations from your list. Thanks!

azteclady said...

Better late than never...

I am very glad you had such a great Christmas, Amy, and want to wish you the best for 2010 (and always!)



As far as reading goes, this was not a very good year--I had two huge reading slumps, and still haven't caught up with the reviewing--but I have high hopes for 2010.

Amy C said...

Hi Leontine!
We are looking forward to all the same books! It's going to be a good year of releases :)


Hi Mandi,
Oh, yes, I loved Lillie Feisty's first book. The hero was just super hot to me....musician, bald head and black rimmed glasses :).


Hi Blodeuedd,
I hope the books I'm looking forward to are as good as I want them to be. I feel good about this new year, so I'm going to be optimistic!

Amy C said...

Hi Dana!
It is is fun to keep track. Something to look back on, you know. But yes, I did add what few rereads I had. I think there were five. I don't do alot of rereading. The five I did were for a challenge that I did not finish :(!

I might have to try Jim Butcher someday. I don't read the UF, so I always think I wouldn't like his books. But you never know until you try :)


Hi Eva!
No, no surprise there! And that's what I love about the internet and blogging, finding people who love the same books and authors! ANd I'm glad you found me, Eva!

Hey MsM,
Oh, I do hope some of the authors I read become 'new to you' authors this year!
I have a pretty good feeling that my reading is going to be significantly reduced this year though. Now that I'm working...but that's okay. I have also cut back on book buying as well :).

Amy C said...

Hi Silver!
It's so awesome to know that so many people are looking forward to CL Wilson. I think she is simply amazing!


Hey Azteclady!
Yes, better late than never! So good to see you stop by :). I hope things are well with you. I'm sure you are much warmer where you are than where I am!
I hope this year is a better reading your for you. It's only natural to go through slumps from time to time, don't you think?

Erotic Horizon said...

Cool round up Amy C...

I certainly enjoy quite a few of those with you last year...

Isn't Aiken just fabulous....

I wouldn't have missed Hart for all the tea in China - awesome read.... I am also looking forward to McDonald.....

As intend to take it a little easier this year - I am reading as will and promise not to terrorise my bookshop sales agent so much this year.... I'll give her three days before I go back in... LOL

Many more reading happy reading days for 2010 my dear..

E.H>

ErotRomReader (Janna) said...

Hi Amy,
Awesome list of books! You've read a lot in 2009, verrry impressive!
And although you thought we hadn't any books in common there're quite a lot of your list on my shelves already :) We'll find each other in the coming year, hon! :D

Christine said...

Wow! What a list! 147 books is amazing!!! I read 78 and thought that was good. LOL!

I like the way you broke down your list and named your favorites and honorable mentions for each month. I have to say I'm so excited to see Surrender of a Siren made your favorite list for November. I love that trilogy. Especially the first two books.

I am looking forward to Tessa Dare's next trilogy in 2010 plus the next installment in Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series, and the next medieval romance by Margaret Mallory. I'm loving her All the Kings Men series so far. Not to mention I see Switch by Megan Hart is coming out this month??!! How did that one fly under the radar for me? I'm going to have to look that up... it's not Alex's story is it?

Here's to many wonderful reads in 2010!

Amy C said...

Hi E.H>
I love Aiken! I definitely prefer her Dragon Kin books over her others though. I've read a few in her shifter books, but they don't seem to have what attracts me to her Dragons :D. Although in The Mane Event, in the first story when the hero pile drives his friend right there in the mall department store, I laughed my ass off! And then had to tell my 10 year old all about it!

Hey Janna,
I look forward to seeing what books you read this year :D.

Hi Christine,
I may have read that this year and about the same last year, but I have a pretty good feeling that I won't be reading that many this year! Not with working now, but that's okay. I don't mind.

Oh yes, Surrender of a Siren was definitely tops on my year of reading. I loved that scene entirely too much. And I think she is just a great writer also. I'm looking forward to her next trilogy even though her time setting isn't what I like, it's her writing that has attracted me :D. Thanks to you for recommending her to me!