Thursday, December 3, 2009

Holiday Craft Time - Cinnamon Ornaments!

Over at the Lust in Time blog, Amanda posted about the Holiday season and she shared this wonderfully aromatic recipe for these cute little ornaments. And I had to make them! So me and my little helper whipped up two batches last night. The recipe says it makes about two dozen, but my cookie cutters must be bigger than the ones you should use. In two batches I ended up with 29. And this morning, my house smells amazing! Oh the potency of two cups of cinnamon permeating the air!

The recipe:

1 cup of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground all-spice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1 cup of applesauce

Mix dry ingredients. Add applesauce a little at a time (Mixture should have consistency of play-dough, so you can work it with your hands.) If mixture is to dry, add 1-2 tablespoons of applesauce. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness on an ungreased surface. If mixture is too sticky to handle, sprinkle surface with a bit of cinnamon.

Use sharp-edged cookie cutters to cut out as desired. Place on level surface (I leave mine on the cookie sheet of cutting board) and air-dry for 4-5 days.(Turn them once half way through)

Recipe makes about two dozen ornaments, depending on the size of the cookie cutter. Use the end of a straw or small round stick to create a hole that you can put wire or ribbon through after it's dry. Ornaments will lighten in color as they dry.

It only took about an hour to make them all, but now they have to sit for the next five days or so. It's been awhile since I did any kind of craft and I had a lot of fun making them with Devin. And I have some fun ideas as to what I'm going to do with them!

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, Amanda!


12 comments:

Amanda McIntyre said...

I can almost smell those, you guys!
Glad you had what my kids used to call "making memories" when they were little.

Its nice to stop and enjoy the little things now and again in the season!

Now if I can keep the applesauce hidden long enough to make these!

Amanda

Amy C said...

HAHA!! I must admit that I did have a nice...big...bowl of that applesauce before I set aside what I needed. Luckily I bought a large jar!

Yes, 'making memories'! That's the one thing I hope Devin can never say to me when he's older, that we never did anything together. I try to do everything that I can with him.

It's moments like this I think maybe I should put reading on the backburner for awhile, cut back, and pull out my scrapbook supplies and get a little caught up. I love when Devin wants to pull out our books. All those memories. But I'm years behind! But I think if I just kept it to the main events, instead of, well, everything, I could get caught up pretty quickly. And of course if I didn't get too extravagant on the page layouts :).

I'll have to think about it!

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

OMG! Devin is so big!! And still as gorgeous as ever, he's going to be a heartbreaker, so look out!

Those decorations look great, almost edible, lol. I bet they smell great too. So glad Devin and you were able to find some time to make something together. Used to do it with my kids at Christmas, then we'd wrapped some up and take it to the neighbors. The kids loved it.

Dottie :)

Marissa said...

What a great idea! And so much fun if you can do this with the kids, my son would love to bake cookies for the tree. Now I am not exactly a great cook/baker, but I think I can manage this! Thanks for sharing this!

Marissa

Erotic Horizon said...

Those do look yummy Amy...

I am surprise you still have so much left - my boys would have had a feast by now...

Lovely to hear you getting into the spirit of the holidays and your son seems to be having the time of his life - from house viewing to baking...

Next you'll have him wrapping Christmas presents...

E.H>

Cecile said...

OH Amy!!!! This was a fantastic post!!! And Dottie is right, look how big he has gotten... such a heart breaker... bring it on, lol!!! -->> says the one with a 16 yr daughter <<-- lmao!!

The cookies do look absolutely delicious!!! I wrote down the recipe too!!! Might try to do those soon!!! It is all about the memories!!!! Our memories are the trips we take... scooping out cute guys, lol!!! I would not trade one moment with her for anything in the world!!!
((((hugs to you honey)))

Eva S said...

Thanks for the recipe, I'll try them some day! And the great pictures, I'd love a little helper like yours too!

Christine said...

I love the smell of all those warm spices like cinnamon and cloves. Heavenly! It's so good to see that Devin will still do crafts like this with you! Moments to treasure. :)

Enjoy!

Mary G said...

Hi Amy
That looked like so much fun & a good recipe. I can't believe how fast Devin is growing. He's changed from the last pictures I saw.He's already a handsome dude.

Donna said...

I bet your house smelled wonderful while you guys were baking. The smell of cinnamon while baking is one the best part of these Holidays.

Devin looks like he has grown a ton since the last pictures. Is he taller than you yet?

Amy C said...

It's kinda funny you all should mention that it looks like Devin has grown. I thought the same thing last week so I took him downstairs where I have a chart with his growth marked ever since we moved into this house and I was surprised that he's actually only grown 1/2 an inch in 5 months! I think it's his hair that makes him look older. Before i always kept it pretty buzzed, but now I take him to a hair salon and they know how to leave a little something up top :).

And Donn, no, he's not taller than me yet! He comes just to my chin. I always wonder if he is going to be on the shorter side, since he is one of the smallest in his class.

Thanks for all your lovely comments :). Devin and I have been working on another craft over the weekend and my mom and I will be making ours on Tuesday! I miss doing all this. It's fun.

Heather D said...

Hey Amy, thanks for posting this. I ended up making these cinnamon ornaments for Cody's class. And instead of the cute little photo albums that you posted about I decided to have the kids make candy cane ornaments with beads and pipe cleaner. They are simple enough for the first graders and not too time consuming. Thanks for some really great craft ideas!