Friday, December 18, 2009

Karen Ranney - Sold to a Laird

Sold to a Laird
by Karen Ranney

November, 2009

www.KarenRanney.com

I have only recently began reading Karen Ranney, the first being Devil Wears Tartan. And since that book, two more have released and I've rushed out to buy both...A Scotsman in Love (which is one of my top historical reads. Loved that book!) and now this one, Sold to a Laird.

In Sold to a Laird, Lady Sarah is the daughter of a Duke. Her father raised her with fierce strictness and no love at all. She is forced by her father to marry a stranger, Douglas Eston, in order to spare her dying mother from a trip to her homeland of Scotland. Lady Sarah appears cold and emotionless, but Douglas Eston warms her bit by slow bit. It's a sensual game that Eston plays with Sarah, and one that undoubtedly left me in awe of the amount of emotional intensity some of their scenes are filled with.

Sarah struck me as an honest, innocent young woman. Her fears and emotions towards Eston didn't feel like they were coming from a naive woman, but an unknowing, inexperienced one. I've read books where the heroine had no clue what took place between a man and a woman or the desires that could rise up and consume them and they seemed a bit much. A bit over the top. Not very believable. But in this book, I found myself saddened by, and wholly believing Sarah's lack of knowledge and her fight to deny the passions Douglas begins to fill her with.

This book, as with the previous two books I've read, has such a somber mood that really makes your heart ache for the characters. Douglas was the epitome of heroes for Sarah, holding her and comforting her when she most needed it, simply being there for her, understanding her. He took into consideration her upbringing and accepted her for who she was. And Sarah, I loved that she never grew angry with the liberties Douglas took, the way he, at times, pushed her. He did it in just a way that gave her time to think through the turmoil of feelings swirling through her.

Another fantastically done, heartfelt and moving romance between two people that need each other, especially Sarah. And Douglas Eston is her perfect match. The two meld together beautifully. This is another book that I'll look back on with a warm heart remembering the gentle, soothing touches Douglas bestowed on his Lady Sarah.

Coming in July 2010...A Highland Duchess!


16 comments:

Heather D said...

I put this one on my wish list about a month ago. Great Review!

Patti said...

I haven't read anything by Ms. Rainey but have this one in my TBR- sounds good, I think I'm going to bump it up a bit!

Lori said...

I haven't picked this one up yet, but it's on my list for next week when I'm off work :)

And if you like her, you should definitely read her Highland Lords series. OMG - soooooo good! (I reviewed it on IJFR if you want to know more about it)

Blodeuedd said...

I tend to get annoyed at naive girls who have no idea what takes place, but then someone kisses them and suddenly they are having magical sex and I just frown. I just do not believe. Oh and it is always like heaven too, hm.

But I am glad this was made in a way that made it believable :)

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

What a sweet read, definitely adding this one to my TBR list. I only read a few historicals that don't have a paranormal element to them, but this one sounds great!

Thanks for another great review and recommendation!

Dottie :)

Lea said...

Sounds like a nice story Amy, and happy to hear you are enjoying this author's work so much.

I'm not too sure this is my sort of read for the very reason B mentioned but I enjoyed your review and the cover art is sure pretty!!

Hope all is well
L

Silver @ The Raving Readers said...

Hmmm...I've never been fond of romances with Scottish heroes, so I might not like this one. I've nothing against the Scots, as it's just a quirk of mine. Maybe I should go to Scotland...I've heard it's beautiful. :)

ErotRomReader (Janna) said...

I loved your review and this sounds like a wonderful, sweet read! I'm loving the Scottish hero type, for that alone I would want to read this historical!
:)
Janna

Amy C said...

Hi Heather,
Have you read other books of hers? I think she's a wonderful writer. She sure knows how to tug my strings :D!

Hey Patti,
Oh I hope you like it! If you do, then I would definitely suggest you go back and pick up A Scotsman in Love. I thought it was so good! Quite emotional.

Hi Lori,
I think you might have commented about her Highland Lords series when I posted my review for A Scotsman in Love. That series was recommended then to I believe. One day I would like to read them. A few years ago I almost picked up the first book, but had never read anything of hers yet and put it back :(. I'm thinking I should have bought it, huh? :)

Amy C said...

Hey Blodeuedd,
You may have your reservations about naive heroines but this one is REALLY good :D!! But yes, it definitely worked for me!

Hi Dottie,
It was a nice story. Very sweetly told. I hope you do decide someday to try something of hers. What I've read of hers leave me with the warm fuzzies afterward :).

Hi Lea,
Thanks :), and yeah, it probably isn't much what you like reading, but it still is a great book! Maybe someday you'll also give it a go, you just might find that is is actually to your liking :)!

Amy C said...

Hi Silver,
Thanks for your comment! Even though the hero is Scottish, it's not like your typical Scottish tale. She mixes England with Scotland.

I would love to someday go to Scotland and or England! It does look beautiful and peaceful.

Hi Janna,
Thank you :). It is a very sweet and touching read. I love the way Douglas is with Sarah, very heartfelt!

Marissa said...

I love these books and this genre, but I never read anything of Karen Ranney before. That must change!

Christine said...

This sounds like a story that I'd really love. I'm going to add it to my wish list. Plus it's great to see Lori comment on how much she loves Karen Ranney's other series! That's like two votes in one post.

inthehammockblog said...

Great review!! I've liked the books that I have read by this author too!

Eva S said...

Hi Amy,
I really like Karen Ranney too, I've read her Highland Lords series and The Devil Wears Tartan.Looks like I have to order some of her newer books too!

Amy C said...

Hi Marissa,
If you do decide to pick up one of her books, I hope you love them as much as I do!

Hey Christine,
I hope you give her a try also. It's always nice to see that others like her books too! I do need to read the series that Lori mentioned. At least get the first book anyway :).

Hi there, Inthehammockblog!
Thanks for your comment :). I'm so happy to hear you say you like what you've read of Karen Ranney also! She's one of those authors that I don't think she could write something that wouldn't go over well with me! It's her style.

Hey Eva,
That's wonderful that you like her too! Another who has read her Highland Lord series and liked it! I loved Devil Wears Tartan.