Monday, December 21, 2009

Percy Jackson and the Olympians - The Ligthning Thief

First there was Harry Potter, now there's Percy Jackson!

Ever wonder what happened to the gods of mythology? Well, let me tell you...Nothing happened to them! They're still here and Olympus just so happens to be on the 600th floor of the Empire State building in New York City. New York City also happens to be where the young Percy Jackson lives with his mom, Sally Jackson and his horrible step-dad, Smelly Gabe.

Now Percy is just another 12 year old who happens to be dyslexic and has ADHD...or does he? After a crazy incident with his math teacher, Mrs. Dodds (she turns into this terrifying winged beast and attacks him), Percy's life and the world around him will never be the same again. The journey begins for Percy on that day, discovering who and what he is. It seems the people closest to him know more than he does, his friend Grover, his Greek teacher, and even his mom. You see, Percy is a demi-god, a half-blood. And his father is none other than the god Poseidon!

This adventurous first installment was a roller-coaster ride of action and monsters from mythology, as we follow Percy and his two friends, Grover the satyre and Annabeth daughter of Athena. Prophecies and lies propel the three on Percy's heroic quest to save humanity from a terrible war between the Greek gods, Poseidon and Zeus, as they travel from Long Island to Los Angeles, where they must seek the entrance to Hades.

This book was just tremendously fun to read! I loved the spin on the gods, making it a rich and fantastical journey into the lore. Great for both young and adult readers alike. I cannot wait to see the movie in February with my son! I'm trying to get him to read the book, but so far no luck :(.

I should add also that this is the first book in a five book series. The war that loomed in this one is not over! There is much more adventure to be had for young Percy Jackson.



One thing I was so delighted to discover, the director of the first two Harry Potter films has also directed this one--Chris Columbus!



13 comments:

Cecile said...

Oh Amy, when we went see New Moon, we saw the trailer for this one... And let me just say that daughter, daughters bff and me were like drooling over this movie!!!! We ARE going see it! Wish we lived closer so we could go!!
I did not know there were books to this one too!! Omgosh... I so can not wait!!! Great review of the book and I will keep saying a small prayer that Devin wants to pick up the books and read them! I think he would enjoy them, but I am just a mom, lol!!!
Have a great day honey!!! Miss you! Hope all is going well with work and home! (((hugs to you honey)))

Amy C said...

Hey Cecile,
Doesn't it look so good? I had bought the first three books for Devin for his Birthday back in June and then when we went to see 2012 they showed the trailer for it and I was totally sold! And I figured I'd pull the books out since Devin wasn't reading them :). I keep telling him how good it was and that he would love it too.

This first one is just the beginning. It's a five book series and I'm excited to see how things go with the overall story arc.

Hugs!

Christine said...

Amy, I've been wanting to read this series for a while now... I'm so glad to see you started! Perhaps on my next trip to the library, I'll grab the first one. It's middle grade reading... too bad I won't be able to get my 5th grader to read it with me. It's so not her preferred genre and she doesn't branch out. LOL!

The movie looks great, too! Now I know my deadline for reading the book now. ;)

Anna said...

That's great you enjoyed it. I'm almost done with book three. The trailer looks amazing, and It couldn't have a better director. :)

Donna [F.D. Ramblings] said...

I was thinking of reading this book before the movie came out also. I think I will now, if it kept you entertained then I know it will do the same for me. I was a little about it being to juvenile.

I've seen the previews and this movie looks fab.

Amy C said...

Oh, Christine, I hope you do pick it up on your next trip. I really think you'd like it. It really was a lot of fun to read. Yeah, if your daughter doens't like to genre switch then she wouldn't go for this series. It's got a lot of action in it, but it does have a girl secondary character, but she's not very feminine!

Anna! I hope the next books are as good as the first one. They aren't Harry Potter, but this first one sure was a good read! Can't wait for the movie!

Hi Donna,
Definitely don't let the fact that this series in in the independent reader section deter you from reading it. It does not have much of a juvenile feel to it. The characters are 12 years old, but it's written very well. A lot of good stuff to sink your teeth into! I think the world-building with the gods was fabulous! It is written for a young person to enjoy, but it's no less entertaining for adults also! A nice change for some lighter reading.

MsM said...

My kids have been in love with Percy Jackson for years have been waiting 2 years for this movie. I have not read the books, but when seeing New Moon (twice) we saw the previews for this and it looks very good. Of course, even if it looked rotten we'd be going to see it because the kids adore the series so much-lol.

:o)

MsM

Blodeuedd said...

I do confess I expected it to look lame (I am so bad!) But that looked great and now you made me wanna see it :D Not to mention read it

Eva S said...

My "kids" are not so young anymore so I had not heard of this one before. But it looks great and I'd like to read the books, but after I've seen the movie! Not seen New Moon, and I don't know if we have the same previews....

Jen said...

One of my friend's son has read all the books that are out. He has been after me for a while to read them. I guess I'll be picking the books up to read. I didn't realize the first one was made into a movie.

Renee said...

So glad you enjoyed this, Amy! I've got the audiobook for #2 cued up on my iTunes. I loved the first one!

I can't wait for the movie!

Happy holidays, sweetie! :-)

Allison('s)Reads said...

Hi Amy, I just saw the trailer tonight (at the showing of Avatar)... both were great! And I really like Sean Bean anywhere and anyhow (LOTR, Black Beauty, Equilibrium....) Happiest of Holidays to you and yours :)

Silver @ The Raving Readers said...

My friend just rec me to read this one, and after your review, I know I'll be getting it. Great review! And thanks for the heads up on the movie. Will certainly go see it!

Happy holidays to you and yours!