Monday, January 4, 2010

R.A. Salvatore - Exile: The Legend of Drizzt Book II


Exile
The Legend of Drizzt Book Two

by R.A. Salvatore

www.rasalvatore.com

It took me awhile to read this second book in the Dark Elf trilogy, but I still very much enjoyed it as I further explored Drizzt and the world he lives in.

A decade after the events that took place in Homeland, Drizzt finds himself battling a hidden foe--Solitude. Drizzt has been wondering the Underdark alone, his only companion, a panther, Guenhwyvar, from the spirit plane; a magical being Drizzt is only able to conjure a few hours a day. But he's not enough to keep Drizzt from losing himself as he travels through the many cave systems. It's not until Drizzt happens upon a group of deep gnomes and listening to them talk amongst themselves that he realizes he must seek those that speak words, even if it's a language he does not understand. Or that death may be what they decide of his fate, rather than a friendly addition to their society. But taking that chance, needing to be amongst others, for Drizzt fears who he is becoming more than he fears death.

To Drizzt's surprise, a deep gnome named Belwar, whom he saved from death in Homland, saves him from death, taking him into his home and offering his companionship and a place among the deep gnomes. But the threat against Drizzt from his former family, the Do'Urden's from Menzoberranzan soon forces Drizzt from his peaceful living and he is once again out in the Underdark, but this time with a friend. Belwar joins him. You see, Belwar has his own inner demons he must learn to concur due to the events in Homeland.

With a few unexpected twists, Exile was another great escape into the world of the Underdark, taking the reader on a grand adventure of peril as Drizzt and his companions battle different foes that await them around every corner. In the end, good always triumphs over evil. The heartless drows of Menzoboranzen do not stand a chance against Drizzt, because in his heart his strong moral convictions hold true, empowering him to fight those which would see him dead.

I loved the way this one ended, leaving you wanting to grab the final book in this trilogy to see how Drizzt fairs. Drizzt has decided the only way to avoid his enemies is to escape to the vast openness of the surface world.

And so the saga continues...




6 comments:

Leontine said...

If I didn't already have so much on my shelves this would be an author for me to explore. The classic fantasy genre holds so many wonderful authors but I always stumble on the time factor and being an eclectic reader. Glad to hear you enjoyed it so Amy!

Erotic Horizon said...

This sounds so epic Amy...

I lvoe books like that, that just leaves so many doors open and you are dying to find out what happen...

The last author that did that for me was Paolini - Eragon series....

Happy reading hon...

E.H>

Blodeuedd said...

You sure like your Drizzt ;D
Makes me wanna read some great fantasy too

Eva S said...

I think I read Homeland a long time ago, don't know why I didn't continue this series.... Perhaps I should try again.
Thanks for your wonderful review, I only wish I had more time to read!

My Blog 2.0 (Dottie) said...

Hi Amy!

I think I have Book One in the stacks, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I need to go through the stacks and find it. It looks like an excellent series, should have started it before now. Thanks for reminding me!

Dottie :)

Donna [F.D. Ramblings] said...

The first part of Exile was a little slow for me too.

I love Guenhwyvar! She makes you wish for a panther of your own. To me, Drizzt and Guenhwyvar are a dynamic duo, can't have one without the other.

Wonderful review!!