Monday, January 25, 2010

R.A. Salvatore - Sojourn: The Legend of Drizzt Book III


Sojourn
The Legend of Drizzt Book Three

by R.A. Salvatore


Drizzt Do'Urden is an enigma of his race of Dark Elves. He carries inside him a conscience. Something that none of his people can claim, even his father Zaknafein, but at least he knew the things he did were evil and vile. He hoped that in his son, Drizzt, he could make right his wrongs, and amazingly enough, he did. He instilled in the few short years he had in training him in the art of weaponry and fighting, morals and to think for himself, rationalize and know right from wrong. But in so doing, Zaknafein's tutelage sentenced Drizzt to a very lonely solitary existence. For having a conscience within the drow society is a death sentence.

In book one of The Dark Elf trilogy, Drizzt is born, and as he grows he sees how disturbing and cruel his people are and eventually it's his death they want. In book two, Drizzt is alone and on his own with his panther companion. They travel the tunnels of the underdark alone, until he makes a few unusual friendships. But Drizzt soon realizes that there is nowhere he can go to escape the wrath of his family. The underworld is no longer his home. Drizzt heads to the above world, a place he's only seen once, and under terrible circumstances.

For months Drizzt watches from his cave home. And one day he spies a farm and the family that occupies it. He wants what he sees. The teasing, the rough-housing, the friendships. The love. But it would seem that Drizzt is not destined for those things yet. Oh and how badly I felt Drizzt's longing to belong. To find a place in this new world, but due to his dark elf appearance (because really in all other aspects of the drow, Drizzt is nothing like them), he is condemned and hunted. His people are feared in the above world, and all the humans and other creatures see is the terror and violence and hatred that the Dark Elves have created with their behavior.

"If only he could find acceptance among those who so hated-as he himself hated-the ways of his dark people, then Drizzt Do'Urden would be at peace." Sojourn, 1991~

Throughout the course of this trilogy, Drizzt has became an exceedingly vivid and amazing character. He has faults, but he stands for all that is good. He is brave. He is strong. He wants acceptance and to be at peace within himself and with the above world inhabitants. Drizzt has become one of my favorite characters. I loved reading about his trials as he journeys in search of a place to call home through the wide world of pain and joy, so says the wise old blind ranger. The trilogy eneded on a happy note, after so much fighting and death.

This first trilogy in the Legend of Drizzt may have come to an end, but I have the next three boxed sets to get lost in. And get lost in I plan on doing over the course of the year!

Thanks again, Donna, for such a fabulous recommendation!


8 comments:

Leontine said...

Last week at the bookfair I've come across this author with numerous books and I'm asking my girlfriends: Why does tis author sounds familiar? Should I buy a few? Why is it that my bells and whistles go off? Now I know...I also read that post of Donna and that is why my bells and whistles went off. I was intrigued to give him a go *headdesk*

I'm glad you enjoyed this author Amy :)

Leontine said...

PS: As you might have figured out...I didn't buy any of the hardcovers of this author at the bookfair, hence the *headdesk*

Eva S said...

I had almost forgotten this series! I read it "long" time ago, 10-15 years ago when I was really into fantasy. I'll have to try to remember all the other books I read back then!

Blodeuedd said...

Hi Amy
You are sure going for Drizzt here :D
You make me wanna give him a second chance, if the library only had the books in order

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Ah, Zippy looks cute up here visiting you...you must be feeding him peanut butter and celery...LOL

Big Hugs Sweetie!
Hawk

Sassy Brit said...

Oh Amy! This looks fantastic!!! Thanks! I'm going to have to get this :)

Donna [F.D. Ramblings] said...

Every time you post one of your beautifully written reviews on Drizzt, I get a smile you couldn't slap off my face because your taking me right back down memory lane with these books. Your words make them come back vividly. :D

Drizzt pulls at your heart strings doesn't he? The next trilogy should really thrill you, can't wait to see what you think of them.

Dottie (My Blog 2.0) said...

Hi Amy!

I keep meaning to try this series, Drizzt sounds wonderful and if you and Donna like these gems, they must be good. I'll try harder, I promise!

Great review!!

Dottie :)

(btw, Zippy looks pleased to be here)