Sunday, January 24, 2010

Romantic Fantasy Reading Suggestions

Here is a list of Fantasy Romances and Romantic Fantasies from my personal library, if you're looking for some suggestions. If you have any you'd like to share, feel free to leave a comment. I always love adding this particular genre to my reading!

--G.A. Aiken (romance)
Dragon Kin series
Dragon Actually
About a Dragon
What a Dragon Should Know
Last Dragon Standing

While it's not exactly romance, but does sit on the top of my favorites ever read, The Black Jewels trilogy does have an amazing romance between Daemon and Jaenelle that I simply love revisiting, along with an awesomely cool dark and disturbing world.

--Anne Bishop

The Black Jewels Trilogy-
Daughter of the Blood
Heir to the Shadows
Queen of the Darkness
Additional read and highly recommended as a companion to the trilogy, Dreams Made Flesh.

The Invisible ring (romantic fantasy)

Ephemera Duology
Sebastian
Belladonna

--Lois McMaster Bujold (romantic fantasy)
The Sharing Knife Series
Beguilement
Legacy
Passage

Horizon

--Gail Dayton (romantic fantasy)
The Rose Trilogy
The Compass Rose
The Barbed Rose
The Eternal Rose

--Megan Hart (romance)
Order of Solace series
Pleasure and Purpose
No Greater Pleasure

--Linda Winstead Jones (romance)
Sisters of the Sun
The Star Witch
The Moon Witch
The Sun Witch

Children of the Sun
Prince of Magic
Prince of Fire
Prince of Magic

The Emperor's Brides
Untouchable
22 Nights
Bride by Command

--Dara Joy (romance)
Ritual of Proof

--Jade Lee (romance)
Dragonborn
Dragonbound

--Dru Pagliasotti (romantic fantasy)
Clockwork Heart

--Pati Nagle (romantic fantasy)
The Betrayal

--Jerri Smith-Ready (romance)
Aspect of Crow Trilogy (5 Stars!)

Voice of Crow
The Reawakened

--Denise Rossetti (romance)
The Four-Sided Pentacle Series
The Flame and The Shadow
Thief of Light

--Wren Spencer (romantic fantasy)
A Brother's Price

--Elizabeth Vaughan (Romance)
The Chronicles of the Warlands Trilogy (5 stars!)

Warprize
Warsworn
Warlord

Star Series (Epic of Palins)
Dagger-Star
White Star
Destiny's Star

--C.L. Wilson (romance)
The Tarien Soul Series (5 stars!)
Lord of the Fading Lands
Lady of Light and Shadows
King of Sword and Sky
Queen of Song and Soul


12 comments:

Eva S said...

Thanks for a great list! Most of the books can be find on my shelves, but some of the authors, as Elizabeth Vaughan and Gail Dayton are new to me. What about romance in the books, you know I like my HEA somewhere on the road...

Amy C said...

You're welcome, Eva :). As for romance, all of them I listed have it to some degree. I labeled them according to my thoughts...Romance and Romantic Fantasy. The romantic fantasies would be lighter on the romance, but still there nonetheless!

I'm happy to know that you have a lot of them on your shelves too! Do you have any that I did not list, since those would be ones I have not read. As I read more, I will list them here and try to keep it updated :). I know there are some coming out this year that I'm really looking forward to. Like L.J. McDonald's new series!

Blodeuedd said...

Great list Amy :)
Even if I have only read 3 of them.
But oh the next Vaughan..must google

Amy C said...

Oh, yes, I am really looking forward to reading Vaughan's next one, Destiny's Star. It's Bethral's and Ezren's story. When I read the first one, Dagger-Star, I didn't much care for Red, but I did like her companion, Bethral. It'll be nice to read more about her.

Dana said...

Just doing a quick look at my bookshelves I can see a few series that I would definitely recommend:

Ilona Andrews 'Kate Daniels' series- fantastic and like Anne Bishop slightly lighter on the romance but SO worth reading.

Shelly Laurenston 'Pride' series- whether as GA Aiken or Laurenston her books are tons of fun, laughter, and romance.

Robin D. Owens 'HeartMate' series- another great fantasy romance series, with futuristic elements that really make it stand out in my mind.

Dara Joy 'Matrix of Destiny' series- out of print but has out of this world romance with fantasy elements that are just so much fun. It's more of the old school romance, when you think about the relationship between the man and woman, but they're just unforgettable. You can still get them as ebooks directly from her website!

Amy I love this idea! I think I'll do a post with different paranormal romance series just because there are more that I would love to bring up but I don't think they quite fit under fantasy! I'll let you know!

Christine said...

Great list, Amy. Thanks to you, I'm now a fan of Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy world and am looking forward to reading the other books in the series.

I have read the first two books of C.L. Wilson's Tarien Soul Series, but I have yet to read the latter two. I think I keep putting it off because I know I need to focus a bit more than my usual read and my mind is kinda all over the place most of the time. LOL. But I WILL get to them, as I love the world and Wilson's poetic and epic style.

As for the others on your list... I'll be working at 'em! ;)

Amy C said...

Hi Dana,
I have read some of Shelley Laurenston's books, and I did like them. I think I think of them more as paranormals than Fantasy. It's one of those things...where do you draw the line with fantasy and paranormal, especially when it comes to historicals. I want to call them fantasy, but then I think fantasy is set in its own world. Even though all books in their own right are fantasy! I think what I had in mind for this list was to have books listed that are 'other world' fantasy.

I do have an Ilona Andrews book that I think when I do get around to reading it will be listed here, On the Edge. I don't know much about the Kate Daniels series, it always struck me as more UF.

But I do have Dara Joy's books! I forgot about those ones. I've only read Ritual of PRoof and that was several years ago. But I do have about three more I think that i need to read. I'll have to add those to this list too :).

I look forward to seeing your list of paranormal series! I don't read much of that genre anymore but there are some that I still love and others that I've read and liked.

Amy C said...

Hi Christine,
And I am just so dang happy that you did read Anne Bishop and loved them as I knew you would! I'm still waiting to see if she is going to be in the area again for the release of Shalador's Lady!

Oh you really do need to take the time to read the next two books in the Tairen Soul series. I still remember talking with you about the first book. You were reading it and I had seen it in passing at the bookstore, but wasn't sure. But you kept saying how much you liked it and how different it was. I had to try it!

Maija A. said...

Great list. Have to write these down. Some of them I've read - e.g. Bujold (oh I loved that series!). I'll try Vaughan and Bishop in the future!

Amy C said...

Mi Maija,
I still have the third Bujold book to read. I really enjoyed the first book. The second one seemed just a little bit slow, but I do like her subtle writing. Nothing happens too quickly. It has a nice laid back feel, like her two main characters, Dag and Fawn.

Bishop is just amazing to me and Vaughan, I love her Warlands trilogy!

Tracy said...

Wonderful lists Amy! I love the GA Aiken books as well as the Anne Bishop. And of course CL Wilson. Warprize was a great book as well.

JAD said...

CL Wilson is awesome. I definitely recommend her! This may be more Science Fiction Romance, but I also highly recommend anything by Catharine Asaro, and Susan Kearney.

JAD