Monday, August 9, 2010

Flash Fiction Entry...Thanks, Dottie!

A fierce rumble overhead startled her. Restlessly, she sat forward in her chair looking into the distance. She stared intently at the dark clouds. Another storm would soon overtake the land. Not just any storm, this one carried with it terrible, violent magic, just as the last several have, destroying everything in its path. The ominous mood engulfed her, causing goosebumps to raise the fine hairs on her arms, the nape of her neck.

A subtle breeze blew the delicate lace of her dress that lay draped around her legs. She tucked them in closer to herself, fighting off the chill. Nothing she did stopped the coldness as it seeped ever deeper under her flesh.

This would be the final storm. She knew it, and she’d embrace it. She would let it take her. Something inside the magic called to her each time it passed. Yet each time she hid, denying the call, terrified. Not this time. This time she waited, leaving herself open for its power.

Her breath caught in her throat as the brutal force of magic swamped her body. The gentle breeze turned violent around her. If she tried to conceal herself again, she knew it would destroy her.

She closed her eyes, giving herself over to the wickedness she sensed in the pervasive magic. She began to laugh in utter bewilderment. The magic no longer felt aggressive, threatening. Love and warmth surrounded her, consumed her as the storm of magic carried her away.

Home was her final thought.

Click here if you'd like to check out the picture that inspired this flash fiction and to read other entries :). Due to the authors' request, we are not allowed to repost the original picture. And it is a good one.

Thank you, Dottie, for posting about this. It felt good to lose myself for a little while. Now I must get ready for work :).


9 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Nice one :D I had planned on doing one tomorrow but felt an urge to do it now, so I did

Erotic Horizon said...

Yup agreed - nice one...

Loving your pic as well....

Did you get through your 50 pages last week?...

E.H>

Lea said...

Lovely piece Amy! You caught the mood in the picture and transformed it into your own story extremely well!

I always enjoy your stories. Thanks for sharing!

L

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Wow Amy!!!

That is freaking awesome! I flipping love it!! I want you to tell us more, much more, dare I say 'book' more? Excellent, excellent use of the prompt!!! Now, I'm off to destroy my entry, because, yours freaking rocks!

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

Thanks, B! I read yours and I loved it! I think these little flash fiction stories are so fun to read.

Amy C said...

HA, E.H.! I actually managed to read about 75 pages :D...I'm on a roll, baby!

And thank you :)

Amy C said...

Thank you, Lea :). Sometimes the picture prompts don't grab me and sometimes they do. I really liked that photo.

Amy C said...

Dottie! You're makin me blush! I'm so glad you liked it :D. A full book?? I dunno about that...LOL! Your faith in me makes me want to give it a try though.

Your entries into these things motivate me to want to try my hand at them. I love reading yours. They're fun! It's always interesting to see what others get out of the picture prompts.

Christine said...

Amy, that's one fantastic piece of flash fiction. The photo complements it perfectly, too!