Friday, August 20, 2010

Monday Morning Flash Fiction Challenge #1 Entry


Monday Morning Flash Fiction Challenge #1

* * * * *
Compulsion
by Amy C
Word Count - 374

Fog settled eerily around the old dilapidating house. I shivered as the uncanny sight settled under my skin. The boarded up windows, the overgrown shrubbery, and the fog, made me cringe.

A jarring whistle of wind pulled me from an unspeakable sense of a lost soul. This house was more than the aged, run-down heap of creepiness that appeared before me this early morning day. Beyond the broken, boarded up windows resided something terribly sinister. Something wicked slithered within the walls of this place.

I walked up the moss-covered concrete steps. Images so terrifying whipped through my mind. My stomach threatened to revolt, twisting and knotting up as disturbing reflections of the past overwhelmed me. Yet I could not turn away.

My hand shook as I reached for the knob. I turned the old rusty handle, pushing the door open. The screeching of the dried and decaying hinges seemed amplified in the darkness beyond. I stepped inside--one, two steps--and a musty odor clogged my nostrils.

The door slammed shut behind me, followed by a distant, raspy voice echoing in the silence, “Welcome, my precious.”

I couldn’t move as my fear trapped me to the spot. My skin prickled as if bugs crawled over me. What was I doing here? I thought as my dread continued to weigh me down. Always a compulsion to enter this house rose to awareness when I walked my morning walk. But never did I falter and veer down the over-grown path…Until this morning. Now paralyzed with terror, I wanted to cry or scream, but I could do neither.

A sickening touch from phantom fingers caressed my cheek, down the side of my neck, to beneath the layer of my shirt. Then suddenly my fear loosened its grip on me. I turned with lightening speed, threw open the door, and ran as fast as my legs would carry me. I ran until there was no breath left.

I have never walked past that old dilapidating house again, but the memory of my experience has remained ever vivid and hauntingly real, forever etched in my mind. And sometimes, in the dark of night, I feel those phantom fingers upon my flesh, and the raspy voice whispering in my ear.

* * * * *


Okay, now I have to wait! As soon as I get links for other entries, I will be sure to add them here!

Blodeuedd

Dottie

Michelle

Both Dottie and Blodeuedd have fabulous endings! I love them :D. I think these things are so much fun to read. They each captured something different from the prompt! And now Michelle has been added to the list with another awesomely good and twisted ending! You ladies ROCK!

Come back over on Monday to check out week two's picture prompt for the next Monday Morning Flash Fiction challenge! Until then, enjoy your weekend! I'm off to see Lea and Mary tomorrow :D.


11 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Lol, I had kind of the same idea so I changed my idea a bit ;=)

Shall I leave the link here?
http://blodeuedd83.livejournal.com/135489.html

Amy C said...

Hey, B!
Awesome entry! I like what you did with it. Gave me a chuckle :D.

Michelle Greathouse said...

Amy,

I love it - so spooky. :) Here is my attempt:

http://michellesramblins.blogspot.com/2010/08/flash-fiction-friday-week-1.html

I can't wait for next week.

M

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Hi Amy!

Well, I'm exhausted, didn't finish with the last skirt until 2:45 this morning,lol. Someone needs to whack the coach, she was suppose to add an inch to all the tops, and instead, she added it to the skirts, all way too long and too big around the waist!!

Excellent piece Amy, I love it!! Maybe the protagonists should get together, maybe he'll give up the church as become a civilian crusader now that his promise is fulfilled? LOL You never know....

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

Hey Dottie,

All in a day's work...and then some *wink*. That's crazy staying up so late to fix a mistake like that, but you did it and your flash!

Ohhh, I sense a romance here...LOL!

*hugs*

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

You never know, after all, he's had a long dry spell.... *wink wink* LOL

Yesterday goes down in the books as one of the day from hell...

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

Hmmm, perhaps Monday's prompt picture could bring these two closer together and fix that dry spell of his and save her from any future visits from that evil presence!

Blodeuedd said...

Thanks Amy :)
That ending was totally last minute, I did plan for her to stumble upon a vamp or something that killed her...then I read yours and changed it with a nice little twist

Houston A.W. Knight said...

VERY NICE...I love the first person style. Good story! You've got me hooked for more! ;-D

Hawk

Amy C said...

Hey Blodeuedd, your twist added a dose of humor! And I liked that :).

Amy C said...

Thanks for your kind words, Hawk :)