Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sassy Sunday Story Starter...

Over at Alternative-Reads, *Jedi Sassy Brit* hosts a 'Sassy Sunday Story Starter' post. Sometimes it's a picture prompt and other times it's a story line prompt. This Sunday happened to be a story line prompt and I had never done a flash fiction using just a line prompt before. Thought it would be fun, so here is my contribution to this weeks 'Sassy Sunday Story Starter'!

* * * * *

It was an ordinary Sunday. We were reading the papers and drinking strong coffee. And then Kate said something that changed everything. My mouth fell open in shock as I listened. Seventeen years of marriage and I never knew, never suspected this of my Kate, my beautiful, shy Kate.

Two words played over and over in my head as the silence of her revelation settled around us…Another planet. Kate claimed to be from another planet.

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came forth. My Kate left me speechless. There have been many occasions that she has done this, many passion-filled moments, but this has left me wondering if my Love is crazy, lost her mind to some untouchable delirium.

My gaze remained fixated on her as I attempted to find some clue that she was merely joking. But the seriousness etched upon her face lent no sign that she was hoaxing me. It almost appeared that there were tears forming in her eyes. The longer I stared upon her, and she remained quiet, panic welled inside me at the possibility of the truth of her words, or at least at the possibility that she believed them to be truth.

My Kate, my wife, could not possibly be from another planet—an alien.

I waited, continuing to search her face for a flicker of a smile, for her lips to move and say, “Gotcha ya!” But instead a tear slipped from the ever growing pool of liquid and trailed down her cheek.

“I am sorry, Henry. I only tell you this because I cannot stay much longer. My people are coming for me."

And with that a bright flash of light overwhelmed my sight. I raised my arm to shield the intensity of it. And when the room transformed back to its original ambiance, I moved my arm only to find that my Kate no longer sat before me. Her newspaper and coffee mug remained, but my Kate had vanished.

11 comments:

Amanda McIntyre said...

Very well done!!!!!!
I kept thinking...come on, come on...what is it??LOL

<><>clapping<><>

Amanda Mac

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Hi Amy!

LOL, excellent storytelling, I'm clapping with Amanda!

I tried it as well, lol, though mine is sort of creepy... well, in a good/bad sort of way...

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Blodeuedd said...

Oh alien, poor guy.
Nice work there :D

Amy C said...

Thank you so much, Amanda Mac (<----I like that!)

I really enjoy doing these little flash fictions :D Occupies the mind for half hour - hour or so.

Amy C said...

Hey Blodeuedd,

yeah, not sure where that came from, the alien part, but I thought, "what the heck," when it popped in my head!

Amy C said...

Hey Dottie!

Thank you!

I just went over and read your entry. I loved it! You and your vampires :D. I'm so happy that you did this too. As I said on your blog, I was hoping that you would, and you did!

These are so much fun to do :D

Hugs to you also :D

Houston A.W. Knight said...

Amy...well done!

Hawk

Amy C said...

Thank you, Hawk :D

I'm excited because me and Dottie are going to be doing a weekly Flash Fiction meme, starting tomorrow! I love doing these things and with Dottie, it only makes it all the better.

Christine said...

Very well done, Amy. But so sad. :(

Amy C said...

Hey Christine...Hmmm, I wonder if there was some inner subconscious thing going on there?

Sassy Brit said...

Fantastic! I have replied to you here: http://bit.ly/do1iHc and here :) I really enjoyed your story, it looks like you had a lot of fun writing this. Loved it!

Sorry I took so long responding, but I've been away. Also,yesterday's prompt didn't work and as I wasn't here I decided to keep it for next Sunday - hope it didn't inconvenience you too much.