Sunday, August 29, 2010

Where in the World is the Guernsey Book?



As of a few days ago, my Guernsey book that I sent out on a journey more than a year ago is now making its way over the ocean from England to Illinois. What a truly amazing and remarkable adventure this book has been on...From Finland to the US, to Canada and Ireland, then England and now back to the US! This book has been in so many wonderful friend's hands. I am honored, delighted, overjoyed, and I thank all of you who participated, and are still waiting to participate, in making this book something special.

I never set a time limit as to how long each person should have the book, but I never thought it would take this long to be passed around. However, it doesn't bother me, if anything, it will make the journey all the more rewarding when it's finally over and the Guernsey book can find its final resting place among the shelves of other much loved and treasured books that I own.

I had the overwhelming pleasure of seeing the book back in January before it made its way over to Ireland. The book was definitely beginning to show signs of wear...or rather, Love...I wonder how much more loved it's going to look like when I get it again :).

And the passage from the afterward that brought about the idea for sending this book on a journey amongst friends...

"...Its members are spread all over the world, but they are joined by their love of books, of talking about books, and of their fellow readers. We are transformed-magically-into the literary society each time we pass a book along, each time we ask a question about it, each time we say, "If you liked that, I bet you'd like this." Whenever we are willing to be delighted and share our delight, as Mary Ann did, we are part of the ongoing story of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society."

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!


12 comments:

Christine said...

I'm still waiting patiently for my turn and have passed it over many times on my visits to the library. LOL!

What a fun project. :)

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

This sounds so fun!! I've heard this book is great :)

Amy C said...

Hi Christine,
I'm glad you are still patiently waiting and have not picked it up at the library to read. You must read my copy! :P Any other copy just wouldn't be the same :). And you are next after Dottie!

Amy C said...

Hi Carrie,
It has been fun, and I would recommend anyone read this little book :)

Blodeuedd said...

So it's still going around, that book has sure toured the world

Amy C said...

It's kinda crazy, isn't it, Blodeuedd? You were the first person I mailed it to last May!

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Hi Amy!

I'm patiently waiting to get it into my hands, and then Christine, it's all yours! And then it still has a way to go.....

Thanks Amy!

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

You're so welcome, Dottie. But it's me who must do all the thanking. You guys are just awesome for doing it with me, and passing it around the way you all have done.

Soon, very soon, it will be in your hands!

Viv Arend said...

It was a privilege to be a part of the adventure as well.

You will be posting a picture, right?

Amy C said...

Hi Vivian!

It seems like such a long time ago that you had the book :).

I will definitely post a picture when I get it back! Maybe by the end of the year? :D I find it amazing how long it has been out there traveling around the world.

Eva S said...

Hi Amy,
I want to thank you for this wonderful journey and I do hope you'll soon have the book in your library! I think it's time for me to reread the book, I recently got a copy of my own...

Amy C said...

Eva! It's been awhile!

Congratulations on your new Grandma status...that is so wonderful :D.

That's awesome you have a copy of your own too. I'm going to reread mine when I get it back.