Friday, September 3, 2010

Flash Fiction Entry #3

I nearly didn't get this one written. I wrote it while I sat in the Doc's office this morning...more on that at the end of my flash fiction.

Monday Morning Flash Fiction Challenge #3

* * * * *

The Choosing

by Amy C
Word Count - 280

The howling grew louder. Drawn by the seductive sound, I found my wandering feet pulled in a direction not of my choosing. Tall grass tickled my exposed ankles. Moonlight shimmered down, casting a radiant glow on all it touched.

I twirled round and round. A bubble of laughter rose from deep within. Throwing my head back, I celebrated my laughter as it burst free, reveling in the joyous occasion this night would bring. The howling stopped, and my feet halted with the silence. Crickets and other unseen nightly bugs penetrated the quiet around me. Glancing around at the silhouetted trees in the distance, I searched for the creature responsible for the beautiful melody I no longer heard.

A large muzzle pushed at my leg and I gasped in surprise. My hand immediately reached down to twine my fingers within the softness of his fur. The wolf tilted his to the side, his blue eyes gazing intently into my own. The time was here. This night, this moment marked something special, a momentous occasion, far surpassing that of any other.
I knelt before the beast. I closed my eyes and calmed myself. The change was upon me. This was my night of choosing, and this beautiful male chose me for his mate.

I changed with ease, and now before him on all four legs, I placed my muzzle aside his and breathed in his scent. His smell sent a shiver of longing and need through me. Pride swelled my heart at the low rumbling sound he made as he approved my action.

My wolf, my mate turned and, with an air of pleasure, I followed him into the night.

* * * * *

Don't forget to check out Dottie's and Michelle's and Blodeuedd's entry!

I almost didn't make it in time. I only just wrote this one this morning. I'm having some serious back issues that school has brought about. Between carrying a backpack and sitting in the chairs there, my back problem has flared up with a vengeance, and it's wearing me down. Went to the Doc this morning. He sent me for x-rays (first time in eleven years since I've had this issue). My physical therapist had said years ago that it sounds like a bulging disc, but they never went any further than that to make sure. But since it is continuing (duh!) he wants to look into it further, because it isn't going away. This is the second time this year, heck second time in a matter of months. It's depressing, frustrating, and it makes me mad as hell to be so limited. It's extremely emotionally stressful. I can't tell you how many times I've cried in the last three days. I'm so tired of it getting in my way of living life and doing normal daily activities. I left work early last night because I couldn't do my job, and trust me, my job there is so not hard. It just makes you feel incompetent. And I hate that.

I hope you all have a wonderful labor day weekend. I'm going to drink excessively tomorrow...LOL. I think I need it!


8 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

I always write it a second before I post it, I am bad that way. Can't plan ahead.

Love the story Amy, great things can be written in the last minute and with an aching back

http://blodeuedd83.livejournal.com/136555.html

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Hi Amy!

Well for something write in a few moments, it's fabulous! I loved it, the feeling of home and love.

Bravo!

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Michelle Greathouse said...

Amy,

Great story!

I can't wait for the next prompt picture. :)

M

Amy C said...

Hey Blodeuedd,

All week I was thinking about writing this and everyday I just couldn't find any time, but the Doc's office this morning seemed the perfect opportunity.

Amy C said...

Thanks, Dottie! I figure one of us has to write something warm and fuzzy :P....hahaha!

I did do a dark one though. Sassy Sunday's starter was dark last week :).

Amy C said...

Hi Michelle,

Monday's prompt lies on Dottie's shoulders. I don't think my back can take the weight *wink*. I wonder what it's going to be also.

azteclady said...

(((Amy)))

I hope they find and fix whatever it is causing you pain, for once and all. Take care of yourself, Amy!









(did you ever get my package in the mail?)

Lea said...

Your Flash Fiction is wonderful Amy and for writing it so swiftly you did an amazing job!

((Hugs)) regarding your back, I so hope it improves soon. That is so frustrating, disheartening, pain really does run you down!!

Take Care!