Friday, September 10, 2010

Flash Fiction Entry #4

Monday Morning Flash Fiction Challenge #4

* * * * *


Vengeance

by Amy C
Word Count - 390

Anger roared through him as fire spewed forth in a downward arc into the abyss beyond the jagged rock he stood perched upon. His soul cried out for vengeance. He would incinerate those who took what belonged to him to ashes.

The fierce dragon shifted, launching himself toward the castle that sat high atop the adjacent rock formation. Within those walls, held captive, was his mate, his heart, the source which calmed his ferocious nature. She tamed his beast. And now imprisoned, his human side was lost from him, buried beneath the anguish devouring him.

Andar shifted his massive clawed feet, spread his wings and plummeted off the edge. With great swoops of his wings, he closed the distance toward the foreboding structure. An unseen wall of wickedness nearly halted him in his flight, threatening to knock him from the sky. Fueled by his anger, Andar gathered all of his strength as he battled through the thick layers of corruptness until at last he burst through.

He circled the perimeter emitting great jets of fire. Screams echoed all around as the humans below scrambled around, attempting to seek cover and avoid the immense plume of flame. Some were not so lucky in their flight and Andar gloried in the knowledge. These bastards would suffer for their idiocy.

As Andar rounded the castle, he let loose a bellow so powerful the structure erupted in tremors. A figure caught his eye, gripping the edge of an open window. Elation at the sight caused another roar to rip forth from deep in his throat. Flying closer to the opening, he watched as his mate climbed up until she stood on the ledge of the opening. She raised her arms, tossed her head back, and leaned forward, free-falling out of the window. With amazing speed, Andar swooped down, catching her with ease atop his back. She rested against him as they flew away to safety.

Together they soared through the night. Andar landed in a secluded area, his mate slid graciously from his back. In the blink of an eye, he shifted to human form, and pulled her to him, holding her within the embrace of his arms. He closed his eyes, breathing in deeply her scent.

Andar’s vengeance was not yet satisfied. This battle might be over, but the war had just begun.

* * * * *

The last two weeks I didn't think I was going to get my flashes done! But so far, so good! I guess I work okay under pressure :).

I did some browsing and I found a picture that I know you guys are going to love. I was going to find a picture that would hopefully allow for something more on the light side...clears throat...Dottie, Blodeuedd and Michelle...but it didn't happen that way. I think you guys are going to come up with some really great flashes with Challenge #5! I know I can't wait to read what your creative minds have to tell. I guess light and airy is just gonna have to wait for another day!

Thank you, Dottie, for finding this fabulous dragon picture! I had fun writing this one :D. I hope you all did too!

To anyone else out there, if you ever want to play along, please, feel free! We would love to have you join along.

Tune in Monday morning for another edition of
Monday Morning Flash Fiction Challenge!

Until then...


10 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Cool, we had the same basic idea it seems :D

Here is mine, with the same theme, and no light stuff here either
http://blodeuedd83.livejournal.com/137255.html

Love yours, so sad and beautiful in a way

Amy C said...

I think it might be the same theme for everyone :). The dragon kinda gives off the air of vengeance with the structure in the background and the breathing of fire.

Loved yours too! Pissed off mama, instead of pissed off lover!

Blodeuedd said...

It will be interesting to see what Dottie goes for, since I just read Michelle's and that one was softer

Christine said...

Nice flash fiction piece, Amy! =)

Michelle Greathouse said...

Very nice Amy! Andar was so fierce.

M

Blodeuedd said...

Btw I forgot to ask, Have you watched 10th kingdom yet?Since you got it

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Hi Amy!

Excellent, I was hoping I'd seen a shifter tale, and a vengeful one at that! That'll teach them to mess with a wily dragon!

Can't wait for next week's, already plotting.

((hugs))

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

Thanks, Christine and Michelle :)

No, Blodeuedd, I have not watched the 10th Kingdom yet. I watched about 20 minutes when I first got it but fell asleep, and now I just keep forgetting that I have it. I'm so tired at night I go right to sleep. I need to watch it though.

Amy C said...

Hey Dottie,

I can't wait to see what we all come up with for next week. I'm glad you like the picture :D! You guys always come up with great things.

Blodeuedd said...

Well it took me months ;) It was just so much of it