Friday, September 17, 2010

Flash Fiction Entry #5

Monday Morning Flash Fiction Entry #5

* * * * *

Final Thoughts

by Amy C
Word Count - 362


She held him in her arms, his head resting heavy in her hand. Screams of the wounded and dying surged like the violent flow of a river around her.

“Don’t leave me,” she whispered, her lips close to the gash on his forehead. Blood seeped into his hairline, between the fingers of her hand that held him close to her. His life-giving essence drained from him and there was nothing she could do--nothing to stop the flow of life that left only death in its wake.

Death. That’s all this war amounted to between her kind, the Magic wielders, and the latent dwellers. She’d never seen peace reign in her land, for as far back as she could recall, battles have been waged. Battles where loved one’s, friends, had lost their lives.

The magic of her people could not compare to the technologically advanced weaponry of their enemy; concoctions that launched both large and small projectiles from long distances. Magic wielders sought tranquility, while latent dwellers only sought their destruction. As her bonded mate lay dying in her arms, she knew that one day soon the latents would win this war as her people dwindled in number from each agonizing battle after another.

An anguished sorrowful cry ripped from deep in her gut as pain exploded in her back. She cradled her lover closer, weakness weighing her down. “Wait for me, my love,” she said softly, “I’ll be with you soon.”

She rested his head with care upon the ground, or was it the draining of her life that slowed her movements? Maneuvering down beside him, she eased her body so that she could lay her head atop his chest. No movement could be felt, no rise and fall of his lungs filling with air, no beating of his heart. Just a deathly silence.

Her breathing slowed. She wept silently for all the loss and pain. But then a sad, yet contented smile curled the edges of her lips as the still warm body of her lover lay beside her. She realized that as in life, she was not alone in death. He was with her, always and forever by her side.

* * * * *

So there you have it, my entry for week 5! I wasn't sure how this one would work for me. But I think it might be my favorite that I've done so far. I really like the way this one turned out. I'm glad you guys seemed to really like this picture. It displays so much sadness. It would have been nice to add a little happiness to the end, but it didn't happen that way for me. Well, perhaps it did, in a way.

I can't wait to read the other posts for this one!

I think it's Dottie's turn for the next picture, unless Blodeuedd or Michelle have a picture suggestion!

7 comments:

MsM (Elizabeth Jules Mason) said...

Well done Amy!!! I like it!

I'm sorry to say I didn't get a chance this week to write anything, but I will try next time.

:o)

MsM

Michelle Greathouse said...

Amy,

I loved this picture - but it did take me the longest to come up with a story. :)

Your's is great!

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this. I have an album of random photos on FB is you want to look through them.

Have a wonderful weekend.

M

Blodeuedd said...

http://blodeuedd83.livejournal.com/137965.html

Mine, I do as I always do, I sit down, I do not give myself time to think, instead I write :D I think I work bet like that.

And I really enjoyed her one this week, so sad, but then that was expected.

Forgot about the pic, must hunt

Amy C said...

Thank you, MsM!

I hope you are able to do one next week with us! They are alot of fun to read :D


Hey Michelle,
I looked through your folder on FB and picked three...now it's your turn to pick one of those! Those were some great pictures. There were ohters that I liked too. We'll have to do more of them since we have an unending amount of weeks!


Hey Blodeuedd!
That's awesome that you can just sit down and get writing like that. Most of the time it takes me a few days. I have done a couple though that only took me a few hours :D.

And that would be wonderful if you found a picture!

Christine said...

Oh, that's so sad...

But very well written!!!

Blodeuedd said...

Lol, yes I am not a good planner, I just let my inspiration take me wherever it wants to take me. I like to be surprised

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Amy!

You know I loved it!! Bittersweet, but the lovers remained together, in life as in death... nicely done.

Dottie :)