Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Glenda Larke - The Last Stormlord


(Watergivers book One)
by Glenda Larke

Shale is the lowest of the low-an outcast from a poor village in the heart of the desert. In the desert water is life, and currency, and Shale has none. But he has a secret. It's the one thing that keeps him alive and may save all the cities of the Quartern in the days to come. If it doesn't get him killed first...

Terelle is a slave fleeing a life as a courtesan. She finds shelter in the home of an elderly painter but as she learns the strange and powerful secrets of his art she fears she may have traded a life of servitude for something far more perilous...

The Stormlord is dying in his tower and there is no one, by accident or design, to take his place. He brings the rain from the distant seas to his people. Without a Stormlord, the cities of the Quartern will wither and die.

Their civilization is at the brink of disaster. If Shale and Terelle can find a way to save themselves, they may just save them all. Water is life and the wells are running dry...

* * * * *

I stumbled across this book about a month ago browsing books online and wrote them down for my next trip to the bookstore. The very next day while I was visiting Saving My Sanity's blog, she had read it and gave it a 9 out of 10! That only upped my need to read it.

It took me several days to read it, but I finished it last night, and have not been so moved by the ending of a book like I was with this one in quite sometime. She made me waste precious water with the shedding of my tears. You see, this book is centered around a desert land, and water is a rare commodity, none is ever wasted, even through the shedding of tears. Its people require stormlords to produce rain clouds from the Giving Sea, a body of salt water. It is a very rare gift, and at the moment there is only one stormlord performing this life-giving feat.

The amount of time she spent getting to know each character only intensified the ending. She pulled me in, made me like this guy, hate that one, love this one, only to completely rip my heart out with such horrid perfidy, and betrayal. The characters were pulled along, creating one fascinatingly rich and full world.

Be warned, there is a nomadic people known as the Reduners who are despicable, blood-thirsty bastards. The brutality they are capable of twisted my guts numerous times. But I wonder if what they want, a time of random rain, is not perhaps what is necessary for the land? Maybe not what it was a thousand years ago, but something to that effect along with the help of the stormlord and the secret of who Terelle really is? I don't know. But something's gonna happen!

The final page left me with a foul, bitter taste in my mouth, as I thought, You fuckin Bitch! But then again, that is the course that must be taken to get the outcome needed to bring prosperity back to the land, right?

I loved this book! A time or two it was difficult, perhaps even painful to read regarding the Reduners, but I was completely entranced! So many things were left unanswered with one heck of a cliffhanger at the end. I have the second book, Stormlord Rising. Soon, very soon, I'll be reading that one. I need answers! I must know the fate of these people I've come to love...and hate!

Definitely a 5 star read for me :)!



7 comments:

Marissa said...

Wow! Great review, going to add it to my wishlist!

Blodeuedd said...

Omg, omg *runs around like a headless chicken* WANT!

But...you sure got upset at the end, I don't wanna get upset :( decisions decisions

Christine said...

Looks like someone's getting their reading groove back............

Amy C said...

Hey Marissa!
It's a good one. Worth adding to your wishlist!

Blodeuedd!! I may have gotten upset at the end but it was a great way to hook you into wanting to read the second book! Don't let that deter you at all!

Hey Christine!
I think you might be right :D. I loved that I read that book so quickly for how my reading has been going lately...or rather nearly this entire year!

Blodeuedd said...

--ok I will trust you, and I mean it is already on my wishlist so I can't go back

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Hi Amy!

What a great review! Now, I have to add another book to my reading list... Do you know how long my list is? Reams of paper...

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

Oh goodie! Another one has added it to their list!

It's a really great book, Dottie! Worth adding to the loooong list.