Tuesday, September 14, 2010

High Hopes For a New Book!!

I was waiting around in the grocery store for some of their wonderful fried chicken (gotta have it fresh!), so I took a walk over to the books and I spotted this book. It reminded me of six years ago, right after Devin started Kindergarten. I had wondered what the heck I was going to do with all my free time while he was away learning all that fun stuff you learn when you're five, and decided I'd try reading.

So one day when I was grocery shopping, I stopped by the books and Anne Rice's Blood Canticle was sitting there. I was so excited because the blurb showed that it tied her Vampires to her Witches. I had read her Mayfair witches years ago, and loved them. But I hadn't yet read her Vampire chronicles. But after reading about Lestat in Blood Canticle, I devoured him and his Vampire pals. That day began my obsessive journey into the realm of reading.

Tonight, sitting on the shelf, was another Anne Rice book, Angel Time (the first book in a new series). I picked it up, thinking of six years past, and felt compelled to buy it! So I did. The blurb sounds promising. I haven't read anything new of hers since Blood Canticle, because she took a religious turn in her writing, and those couple of books didn't sound appealing. Even though there is religious undertones in this one, so too does it have supernatural elements.

* * * *
Anne Rice returns to the mesmerizing storytelling that has captivated readers for more than three decades in a tale of unceasing suspense set in time past—a metaphysical thriller about angels and assassins.

It’s the present day. Toby O’Dare—aka Lucky the Fox—is a contract killer of underground fame on assignment to kill once again. He’s a soulless soul, a dead man walking. His nightmarish world of lone and lethal missions is disrupted when a mysterious stranger, a seraph, offers him a chance to save rather than destroy lives. O’Dare, who long ago dreamed of being a priest, seizes his chance. Now he is carried back through the ages to thirteenth-century England, to dark realms where accusations of ritual murder have been made against Jews, where children suddenly die or disappear. In this primitive setting, O’Dare begins his perilous quest for salvation, a journey of danger and flight, loyalty and betrayal, selflessness and love.

* * * *

Is anyone else a fan of Anne Rice's previous work?



14 comments:

Anna said...

I loved both the Mayfair Witches and The Vampire Chronicles and like you I haven't read anything by Rice since Blood Canticle.

I was a tiny bit pissed that she went in a different direction. I would have loved to have more witches and vampire stories from her.

This new book looks interesting, but I'm not sure if I'll read it. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Cecile said...

Hey Amy! I have one Anne Rice book. It is her Sleeping Beauty collection, but it is only one I have. And I still can not wait to get to it. I hope all is well honey! Hugs to you!

Ladybug said...

I have Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles here on audio and I have listened a bit to the first book but somewho I put it aside. Perhaps time to turn it on again?

This one sounds like it might be good but it could also be a bit to religious. Can't wait to hear more about it, thanks for sharing, Amy :)

Ladybug said...

It was supposed to be somehow, not somewho *blush*

Blodeuedd said...

Nope, can't say that I ever have read anything by her. It's one of those perhaps one day books

Amy C said...

I agree, Anna, but I believe it was the death of her husband that caused her to change direction with her writing. I have high hopes for this one. It sounds interesting and I loved reading her vampires, so I'm hoping this one has the same affect.

I wonder if the Talamasca will make an appearance :)? How cool would that be?

Amy C said...

Oh, Cecile, you have The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty? I read that one years ago. Honestly, I can't say that I enjoyed it. I had never read anything even remotely close to that previously, so I found it to be harshly written eroticism. I say read it for the experience though, compare it to what you read in erotic romance today. It's pretty crazy!

Amy C said...

Hey Ladybug!

Are you starting with Interview with a Vampire? I skipped that one and went straight to The Vampire Lestat. Now that one is a bit long and drawn out, in my opinion, but maybe halfway through the book it picks up, leading you into Queen of the Damned. If you didn't want to listen to or read all of them, at least read the first two, becasue I think she has an amazing take on the creation of vampires! I think it is still one of the best I've ever read.

If you've seen the movie, Queen of the Damned, put it completely out of your head! The book was amazing! The movie sucked!

Amy C said...

Hey Blodeuedd,

Like I mentioned to Ladybug, if you don't want to read them all, at least give The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned a read :).

Oh and I finished reading The Last Stormlord, and I have to talk about it! I'm working on my thoughts about it...highly recommended!

Christine said...

I believe I have nearly all of the Vampire books in hardcover on my shelf, but have NEVER read one! LOL! I saw maybe five of them at my library used book sale and bought them all for two or three dollars total. Then my friend Mariana was getting rid of all of her paperbooks as she's gone totally ebook and I probably have near the entire series now. I think the covers are gorgeous as are the spines. I like looking at them. LOL!

I hope this new Anne Rice book pleases you!

Amy C said...

Oh Christine, perhaps you should set yourself a reading challenge for 2011...Read the Vampire Chronicles! That would be a fun challenge, I think :D.

I'm gonna read Last Dragon Standing and then I'll read this one! Looking forward to it.

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Hi Amy!

I hate to say it, but when the books took the religious stance, I quit reading them. Maybe I'll go back and try this one, it does sound good. I think I'll wait for your thoughts though, see if you liked it.

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

I know, Dottie, I felt the same way. Having never been privy to looking forward to a new release of hers in the Vampire Chronicles since I started them after they were all released. I was excited to learn she had a new book coming out, but then dismayed to discover it was religious based. But now, it looks like I might have some books of hers to look forward to if this one turns out to be an addictive story.

Anna said...

Yes, that would be very cool if the Talamasca would make an appearance. :)