Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sassy Sunday Story Starter


Over at Alternative-Reads, Sassy Brit hosts a 'Sassy Sunday Story Starter'. This Sunday was another line prompt and here is my contribution :).


Sassy Sunday Story Starter

* * * * *

Misery

by Amy C
Word Count - 294

When her shadow filled the alleyway, all laughter died. Laughter always died when she appeared. Not that she liked it. In fact, she hated it, despised and dreaded it. She found it to be quite tiresome to be so at odds with her gift, or rather curse, in her case. Perhaps there had been a time in her long existence when she feed off the sadness and pain of the humans around her. Vague memories of her reveling in their sorrow flittered momentarily through her mind.

As she walked down the alley, drawing closer to the group of young adults who had been laughing so joyously, were now standing as if defeated, as if the world around them had nothing to offer but despair and heartache. Not a single trace of happiness could be identified. The happiness that only moments ago filled them, surrounded them had vanished. She’d sucked it right out of their souls. That was her nature, the very essence of her being; forever cursed with stealing the bliss and content from those around her.

She knew the futility of trying to fight it, to give back what she took, and the impossibility of it. She’d tried. And she’d failed. If she could give it back, she would. To hear laughter, to see it shining and dancing in anther’s eyes for longer that a brief moment, she would give it all back.

But instead she only appeared before the humans when she grew weak, and then only took what she needed of the pleasures and delights from her victims to sustain her life. A tiny tear trickled down her cheek when she gazed into the eyes of one of the young men, for she saw her name staring back at her--Misery.

* * * * *

Hmm, me thinks I am in a rather melancholic mood this evening. What do you think?

I forgot all about Sassy's Sunday Story Starter until Dottie reminded me!
Thank you, Dottie :)


8 comments:

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Hi Amy!

Melancholy it might be, but wonderful it surely is!! You're becoming well acquainted with the dark, young padawan... LOL It's superbly done, a kind of happiness sucking vampire!

I love it!

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

LOL!! Young padawan :P

I am in a dark and gloomy mood this evening, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think I feel better now. It's nice how writing can change your mood.

One of these days, my dear, I am going to challenge you to write a flash that utilizes a few particular words...such as the P word, the C word and maybe even the N word and perhaps even the other C word *wink* Can you guess which one that would be?? LOL

Hugs!

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

O...M...G... ...the P word, two C words, and a N word... well I think I know the two C words, and probably several P words, at least one N word... Surely you jest! I was embarrassed by sliding the zipper down to set the one eyed bandit free... and I never even said (wrote) the word... and now you want them ALL put TOGETHER in one flash... Do you want faint???? My virginal fingers burn along with the rest of my body.... OMG.....LOLOLOLOL I'm cracking up and I can't even tell my kids why....

Dottie :)

Amy C said...

LMAO!!! OMG!! You crack me up...look at all those capital letters up there. I imagine your eyes nearly bulging out of your head as you laugh!!

Virginal fingers my ass! How many kids do you have???

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

LOLOLOL Well, they would be virginal, you only get ONE first time, lololololol!!! Be gentle with me....

I have three kids, but I swear as the Gods are my witnesses, I don't know what happened.... just one day, pow, and babies were there.... I'm told the docs are searching for answers....

LMAO!!!

(((hugs)))

Dottie :)

Blodeuedd said...

What can I say, melancholy worked well! Great short Amy

MsM (Elizabeth Jules Mason) said...

Well done Amy!! You got a lot of emotion in that piece.

:o)

MsM

Sassy Brit said...

Intriguing, dark and emotional - all in very few words. Loved it! Well done. :)