Sunday, April 24, 2011

Flash Fiction Entry #36

Monday Morning Flash Fiction Challenge #36

Dream of Loneliness

By Amy C
Word Count - 333

I lie here, surrounded by a mist of loneliness. The satiny cloth draped over my body, a lover’s caress. I cannot move from this stasis I find myself engulfed within. Tendrils of emptiness constrict around my heart, trapping me, keeping me from breaking free and taking that which I long for most. A bit of happiness.

I long for his touch, the gentle melody of his voice. My emotions betray me, forever wanting to reach out and connect.

“Why do you not let me in? Embrace the love I offer?” I whisper through the haze.

“We are not for each other. I have no love to give you in return.” The sorrowful words shatter my emotional control. My soul cries out, for inside me, my love, my passion, is for him and him alone.

“You’re heart has been broken, betrayed. Let me mend it for you. Gather it in the warmth of my devotion, keep it safe.”

“I warned you, don’t get attached. Your emotions are not welcome.”

I felt his presence dissipate, leaving me in hollow silence. I plead with the tears seeping from eyes for him to stay, to comfort me, to love me. But he is gone.

I stir from a warm pressure upon arm. My eyes open, surrounded by a pool of liquid.

“Hey,” a soft voice whispers near my ear.

I turn, rolling onto my back, and gaze at the face before me. “Hey,” I whisper back, a smile curves my lips. Profound relief eases the grip of loneliness that moments ago had been knotted around my heart. His palm rests lightly upon my cheek.

“You were dreaming. What were you dreaming about? It must have been sad. You were crying,” he spoke softly, concern in his eyes, love in his heart.

I snuggle closer to him, pressing my face into his chest, his embrace tightening around me, comforting me. “Nothing,” I answer back. “You’re here with me, and that’s all that matters. It was just a dream.”

* * * * *

It's late...but I finally did one :). It's a bit melancholic, but happy nonetheless.

Thank you, Dottie, for continuing to post images every week. I'm glad this weekly challenge is still going strong. Maybe week 37 will be inspiring also!




2 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Melancholic yes, but lovely :) I liked it, and about being late..I posted mine after yours ;)

Dottie (Tink's Place) said...

Hi Amy!

I agree with B! Quite lovely, romantic, I hope it's not a foretelling of the future....

Nicely done, beautiful language.

And as always, your welcome! As far as posting late, it's very much okay, I've had to post late a couple of times myself.

((hugs))

Dottie :)