Saturday, September 15, 2012

Preparing For the Back Yard Transformation...

One section at a time.

Gonna be doing some more landscaping today. No planting, but lots of tilling to get the ground ready. I have big plans for the backyard. It's gonna take some time and muscle, but the end result will be all worth it!

Shawn was able to get a tiller from a guy he works with. He brought it home yesterday, went to start it and the gas line broke. Oops...Not a big deal though, he's a handy guy to have around and the tiller hasn't been used in eight years, so he figured there might be some maintenance work needed on it.

We're gonna work on leveling out the ground, getting it ready so I can do my concrete walk way as I did in New York around my garden and deck. I got my tools yesterday, but had to order the concrete form online. It should be here on Tuesday.

My aunt had a great suggestion. The area we are going to be working on up by the house actually sits up higher than the rest of the yard (You can see it in the bottom picture). I'd have to say that the previous owner built it up for something but never got around to doing anything with it. So she suggested building a retaining wall, perhaps using railroad ties, having that section of the yard raised. It would eliminate the slope and add a nice decorative viewing element. That slope has bothered me since we moved in. It would be a little extra work but we can do it!


I'm so excited to get started on this and it's so wonderful that I can even still consider doing yard work this late in the year. I'm so not missing New York right now :).

One of these years when everything is done and had a chance to mature, my back yard is going to be my oasis!

Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend?


1 comment:

Christine said...

You guys are so good. I have been in my house for 15 years and still haven't tackled all the landscaping I envisioned those first couple of years we lived here. Now it's been over three years since the addition was finished and I've only done bits and pieces of what I want to do out there.

Good luck!