Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Yay...I Can Crochet!

I always wanted to learn how to crochet, and yesterday my aunt Judy taught me how to do a double stitch row. I'm so excited! My first attempt last night didn't turn out so well. I got the chain and an entire row done when I realized that my chain was done entirely too tight. When I started my second row it was curving down and around...umm, so not going to work. So sadly I had  to unravel what took me 5 HOURS to do and start over. I knew doing the first row that I did my chain too tight, but I thought it might still be okay. I wasn't ready to admit defeat just yet. It's all good though. I picked it back up this morning and started over. It only took me half the time to do twice the amount today as compared to what I did yesterday.

My aunt has like three times more done than I do! So I'm pretty sure you can figure out whose is whose.

UH-OH It's Trouble! With a capital T!!

 Actually, that black and white fur ball is my new kitty, Silly Simba. I brought the little stinker home in June right after we moved into the house. He was so tiny. I took him to the vet and turned out he was only about 3 1/2 weeks old :) I had to bottle feed him for a while. He weighed less than a pound, now he's about 5 pounds. He's the best cat. Loves everybody and plays all the time.

 
Awww....He's so sweet!

4 comments:

The_Book_Queen said...

Oh, he's adorable! :) Did he attack the yarn after the picture? That's what my cats would do! LOL

I love to crochet, learned from my great-grandmother when I was young, but I'm not the best at it. I've done a few small blankets, but they weren't perfect and I'm sure they'll fall apart any day now! LOL. But I find it relaxing; hm..perhaps I should get back to it, see if I can improve. :)

I also enjoy cross stitching--does anyone remember that? LOL. It seems like most stores that used to carry the patterns and thread for it have stopped doing so. I didn't learn how until middle school, as a home ec. project, and I fell in love--very soothing, and when done the images are sooo beautiful!

Good Luck, practice makes perfect remember! :)

Enjoy!
TBQ

Amy C said...

Hey TBQ,
LOL, no, he didn't. My aunt made him a little yarn ball though so he has his own to play with. Occasionally he'll jump up beside me and try to play :). I just love that cat!

I haven't cross stiched in a very long time. I learned how to do that when I was in 6th grade. My mom was obessesed with it for quite a few years back then. She did some really amazing things.

I've always enjoyed crafting and making things. I was real big into scrapbooking when Devin was little. I stopped for quite awhile. It feels good to start something new. Next week sometime my aunt is going to show me how to macrame! I want to make two plant hangers for in my bedroom windows. I love those things and she has made some really beautiful ones in the past!

I think you should start a new blanket! It's the perfect time of year. The weather is getting cooler. It'll be nice to cuddle up on the couch with some yarn! I managed to get 6 whole rows done yesterday! Figure I have about 90 more to go!!

Christine said...

Aww your kitty is so cute! I love the white fur sticking out of his ears! ^_^

Kudos to you for learning how to crochet. As long as you keep practicing, you'll get the hang of it. As if I knew. haha I don't crochet or knit but always wanted to learn one or the other. Someday.

I do know how to cross-stitch, though and did a TON of it years ago. I made some beautiful pieces that I framed and gave as wedding and new baby gifts. I only have one or two things that I've made for myself and most aren't even finished! I always think about picking it back up again. Probably when I'm an empty nester. omg. :(

estetik said...

This was really an attention-grabbing subject, I am very fortunate to be able to come to your weblog and I'll bookmark this web page in order that I could come back one other time.
Estetik